FA Cup replays scrapped for next season

11 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Makes sense for the coming season.

Makes sense for who? You have FL clubs on their arse left, right and centre and a potential opportunity for a decent windfall has now been removed. 

But even still, they've opened the door now for replays to be scrapped permanently. 

10 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

They don't.  Contingent assets I think they're called.

The only reason anyone ever seems to put forward for keeping them is lower league clubs needing them as a potential windfall. If things are that bad then give the club to switch the tie.

33 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Lower league clubs have more chance of winning the tie in a one-off game, which will lead to prize money and a bigger windfall for the following round...

I agree in the main but if the Everton match has gone to extra time I doubt we would have won - the replay earned us quite a bit.

I also agree with Eyrsey that clubs shouldn’t be gambling on cup runs but the fact is that run in 2012 was life saving for us - the FA Cup was always seen as vital.  Corney was absolutely livid when we lost to Lincoln in the second round and I believe cancelled the players Xmas do on the back of it.

the replays are a chance for fans to either go to a big ground or bring a higher team back for a leveller. I’d be sorry to lose them for good 

The change would likely encourage most  top clubs to play a full strength team in away games against lower league opposition, with no second chance home option available. Thus further reducing small clubs chances of progress, as well as a lucrative away replay.  

5 minutes ago, mikeroyboy said:

The change would likely encourage most  top clubs to play a full strength team in away games against lower league opposition, with no second chance home option available. Thus further reducing small clubs chances of progress, as well as a lucrative away replay.  

Good, we want the best teams to progress the furthest, competitions shouldn't exist as a means of giving smaller clubs a chance of a payday, it's just a ridiculous argument.

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Good, we want the best teams to progress the furthest, competitions shouldn't exist as a means of giving smaller clubs a chance of a payday, it's just a ridiculous argument.

So we wanted Fulham to progress?

And Liverpool?

Everton?

Arsenal?

Wanting the best teams to progress is the dumb argument.

2 hours ago, another fan said:

If that was the case some would say that Clubs should not rely on  Cup  revenues as a source of income

Absolutely correct. Sensible clubs at all levels budget for going out of a KO competition at the first time of asking.

10 hours ago, deyres42 said:

competitions shouldn't exist as a means of giving smaller clubs a chance of a payday, it's just a ridiculous argument.

However the F.A Cup gave smaller clubs a cash chance anyway, even if we can rationally argue that's not what is supposed to occur - in other words, it was a bonus.

The ties will still happen I suppose, just the romance and thrill of 'taking them back to our place' or the big away day replay is gone - and yet the Freight Rover Trophy still exists.

10 minutes ago, Matt said:

However the F.A Cup gave smaller clubs a cash chance anyway, even if we can rationally argue that's not what is supposed to occur - in other words, it was a bonus.

The ties will still happen I suppose, just the romance and thrill of 'taking them back to our place' or the big away day replay is gone - and yet the Freight Rover Trophy still exists.

I've no strong opinion either way over scrapping them, just don't think the potential of a payday is a particularly strong reason for doing for keeping them. Let the clubs decide how they want to spilt it and if they can't then it defaults to an even share.

8 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I've no strong opinion either way over scrapping them, just don't think the potential of a payday is a particularly strong reason for doing for keeping them. Let the clubs decide how they want to spilt it and if they can't then it defaults to an even share.

It's already an even share. It's league games where the home side keeps everything. 

Archived