MATCH: vs Walsall (H) 15/12/20

8 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

I understand we've been accused of living in the past and their is abit of merit there.

Believing we are as big as championship level clubs who get 15-20000 in league 1 just because we were at the same level as them 25 years ago can be seen as entitled. Believing that Man United and Man City are still our rivals that's living past very much so.

But believing that we should competing at the same level as Newport County Cheltenham and Exeter isn't it's a very realistic aim.

We have been accused of living the past before now. I think we have now gone too far the other way I think the expectations are now abit too low.

We might not like it but I don't think it is a case of believing this is our level, it is reality, there's nothing to suggest we are some big club in waiting and I very much doubt that fans of other clubs in the division see us as one.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Londonboy said:

If you came on here for the first time you'd think we had lost 10 nil and we're bottom of the league.

Apparently Garrity, Fage, CBJ, Ntambwe, Grant, Pidge, Clarke, Mcalmont, DKD, Lawler and McAleny are all shit and we are a 1 man team in Bam!

From what I saw, yes we were not great, but created enough to win the game. 

We know our midfield is not going to win every ball...that won't change with the squad we have

We were pretty unlucky both hitting the woodwork and with their 2nd goal.

If it had been a draw both teams would have thought it fair.

I guess I'm just pointing out we know we have deficiencies and we will make plenty of mistakes, but it's far better than last season and we can still challenge I think in this league if we can improve at home.

Disappointing result yes but a few on here need to get realistic😉

We have seen some sublime passing, triangles, the works eg against Bradford when we have all the time on the ball. The problem is that s soon as we are challenged by a better team we crumble and the players panic in their decision making, which is why we and they are in the lower half of the basement division. It's not unrealistic to expect a better quality of player for this dvision-we haven't got the lowest budget- and that we out together a team to compete for promotion out of this abject division.

People's reaction is driven by the regression we seem to make. 2 steps forward, 4 back.

We are crying out for 4 or 5 better quality players. 2 or 3 significantly better would improve us immensely. The proble is our owner can unearth the odd gem like Bahamboula but there are 50 mediocre players to go through first. He's no better than you or I in that regard so far, we could filter the players we are offered just as well. We need to be out unearthing rather than sitting waiting.

20 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Is it? The attack is better, but it's hard to see how any other area has improved, in most we've gone backwards. Better attack plus better manager probably means we'll get more points, but we're not going to set the division on fire all of a sudden.

Better than last season? Very subjective of course, hard to judge and could be a moot point if those around us have improved.

Memories of how we started last season haven't faded for me yet, we were nailed on relegation candidates, not so this season.

I argue Lawlor is an upgrade, excellent at times but flaps at crosses which we think should be caught.

I strongly agree with you that our attacking threat is stronger, too much reliance on Jonny Smith last season (who was magic).

Lacking a pair of McCann type players in midfield is probably the difference between a frustrating mid table finish or a crack at the playoffs

• Matt unfeatured this topic
6 hours ago, Mayfield said:

Better than last season? Very subjective of course, hard to judge and could be a moot point if those around us have improved.

Memories of how we started last season haven't faded for me yet, we were nailed on relegation candidates, not so this season.

Lost the first three league games both last season and this. After 10 games last season we had 10 points, this season 8 points.

21 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Only 3 teams have scored more goals than us this season, however we have conceded more than anyone😬

Yes we have little chance of the play offs unless we start to defend better as a team, however is it better than the dross we regularly served up last season?...absolutely in my opinion.

If you don't agree fair enough

2 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Only 3 teams have scored more goals than us this season, however we have conceded more than anyone😬

Yes we have little chance of the play offs unless we start to defend better as a team, however is it better than the dross we regularly served up last season?...absolutely in my opinion.

If you don't agree fair enough

Better on the eye, for sure. Until we learn how to pick up points at home though we're not going to move up the table.

On 12/16/2020 at 1:35 PM, ShireBlue said:

A lot of the squad are technically poor. How many times do you see a pass lobbed up awkwardly for the receiving player, or not finding a blue shirt at all?

Just been reading an interview with Mourinho where he said this

"When sometimes I see people in the lower divisions trying to play the way the top players do and then make incredible mistakes because they have not enough quality … I just feel that is wrong. I promise you that nobody knows better than I do our own weaknesses.”

This is 110% Keillor-Dunn, and to a lesser extent Whelan.  

Both of them would be better players if they played it 5m along the ground instead of crap floated lobs, no-look passes or Cruyff turns where they trip themselves up. 

56 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

And this is not better than last season...??😂

I stand by the below! Where are we in the table?

22 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Better on the eye, for sure. Until we learn how to pick up points at home though we're not going to move up the table.

Archived