MATCH: vs Walsall (H) 15/12/20

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, BP1960 said:

The problems stem from weakest midfield in the division, giving the ball away, losing possession and not closing down.

This must be sorted in January.

It does need looking at. But they don’t struggle away from home. . 

It’s about tactics as well, if we need to sit in at home and play as the away side until January reinforcements then so be it. Because when we ask them to pass and get on the front foot they can’t keep possession. 

They put in a better performance than us but they didn’t half ride their luck.

We played an unchanged team and got the same standard of performance as against Bradford, no surprises there. This particular team cannot retain the ball very well and I’m not sure who we have that would improve things. Rowe? Probably but he too was poor against Tranmere.

Final point, I have yet to be convinced by Dearnley, he’s a good example of a player whose reputation grows the longer they are out.

We need more height and strength in midfield. We can score goals so a play off push isn’t out of the question.

A question; we insist on filling the popular defensive midfield position (currently Ntambwe) yet concede loads, should we persist with it?

No luck at all tonight  hitting the posts and  bar.Silly pen to give away.Lawler at fault for second and a sloppy  gift for  their third. 

Too many loose balls which Walsall kept winning but we had enough chances to have got at least a point.Feel gutted that we got nothing.

Got strange feeling  though that we will get a win on Saturday. It was an entertaining  match but poor result

12 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

A question; we insist on filling the popular defensive midfield position (currently Ntambwe) yet concede loads, should we persist with it?

I dread to think how many we'd concede if we ditched it

The goalkeeper definitely needs dropping, he has cost us a fair few goals lately and needs to improve the command of his 6 yd box!!

Our midfield set up in home games is so so weak and surrenders the initiative to opposing teams week in week out, however, our usual problem of scoring goals has been well and truly sorted!

3 signings in the right areas could easily turn us into promotion contenders. Whether AL would be prepared or allowed to fund it (FFP) is another matter. 

Can I just say that was an unbelievable performance from Bahamboula. Not only is he a very clever player, now that he’s up to playing 90 minutes he’s also putting in a proper shift and has moved up a few gears. 

We may be able to hold on to him beyond January but after that is anyone’s guess as his performances will have been noticed without doubt.

He is far to good for this division and maybe the one above too!!

1 hour ago, Stainrod said:

We played an unchanged team and got the same standard of performance as against Bradford, no surprises there. This particular team cannot retain the ball very well and I’m not sure who we have that would improve things. Rowe? Probably but he too was poor against Tranmere.

Final point, I have yet to be convinced by Dearnley, he’s a good example of a player whose reputation grows the longer they are out.

We need more height and strength in midfield. We can score goals so a play off push isn’t out of the question.

For all his goals McAleny was anonymous, Dearnley just doesn't look fit.

I'd be playing Bahamboula down the middle, he's crowded out on the touchline, but running direct from central he'd have them back peddling.

I also wonder why Grant hadn't played central midfield yet, with his experience he'd surely be better than the slack Garrity or the easy to dispossess DKD?

Ntwambe can't turn and that often catches him out.

As for Fage he's no right back. Jambotti is the best bet now 

Just now, BP1960 said:

I'd be playing Bahamboula down the middle, he's crowded out on the touchline, but running direct from central he'd have them back peddling.

I also wonder why Grant hasn't played central midfield yet, with his experience he'd surely be better than the slack Garrity or the easy to dispossess DKD?

7 hours ago, Stainrod said:

Yes they rode their luck . I think if we strengthen in January in the right areas; Midfielder/s with a bit of experience and nous  . And a big target man  we will be ok. Bahamboula has put in some Rick Holden type crosses in the last few games that no one has attacked. 

9 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I also wonder why Grant hadn't played central midfield yet, with his experience he'd surely be better than the slack Garrity or the easy to dispossess DKD?

At one point yesterday, I truly believed that the footballing gods had deserted us ☹️ We had hit the post and the bar twice and conceded two through defensive lapses.

Then somehow we clawed our way back into the game only to fail to defend another cross into the box.

The substitution of McAleny was the right thing to do as he was not on his game but that was the time, I agree, to push Bahamboula  through the middle. Too many simply didn’t contribute enough last night and without Rowe and Jombati we had few options from the bench.

We never stopped trying to play football but Walsall pressured us when we were in possession forcing us to make errors. The familiar lack of accuracy in passing crept back into our game. Main culprits were Ntambwe and Garrity but DKD, in the short time he was on the pitch, was way off the pace.

But this time, as poorly as our midfield played, it was our defenders (specifically Fage and Lawlor) that let us down. Fage is still relatively young but there was no excuse for him pushing McDonald for the penalty and also for standing too far off the winger allowing him to pick out Adebayo for Walsall’s third. Clarke, who had one of his poorer games last night, and Piergianni failed to deal with the Walsall striker. As for the second goal we conceded, Lawlor needs to try and catch the ball rather than constantly push it away. 

You have to give credit to Walsall, who were a hardworking and well-drilled side but yet again it was another example of how we don’t seem to know how to play at Home in this league.

☹️

Archived