MATCH: vs Walsall (H) 15/12/20

28 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Seem to be a lot of individuals being picked out as poor performers last night.  Much easier to do that the other way round and say that apart from Piergianni and Bahamboula they were all pretty rank.

That pretty much sums it up. Trouble was, there was no real quality on the bench to improve it, Dearnley apart. And he is still not quite there.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Seem to be a lot of individuals being picked out as poor performers last night.  Much easier to do that the other way round and say that apart from Piergianni and Bahamboula they were all pretty rank.

CBJ wasn’t too bad either and Fage was much better when he was in the opposition half. 👀

A lot of the squad are technically poor. How many times do you see a pass lobbed up awkwardly for the receiving player, or not finding a blue shirt at all?

Saying that though, we created lots of chances last night and should have won the game.

If you came on here for the first time you'd think we had lost 10 nil and we're bottom of the league.

Apparently Garrity, Fage, CBJ, Ntambwe, Grant, Pidge, Clarke, Mcalmont, DKD, Lawler and McAleny are all shit and we are a 1 man team in Bam!

From what I saw, yes we were not great, but created enough to win the game. 

We know our midfield is not going to win every ball...that won't change with the squad we have

We were pretty unlucky both hitting the woodwork and with their 2nd goal.

If it had been a draw both teams would have thought it fair.

I guess I'm just pointing out we know we have deficiencies and we will make plenty of mistakes, but it's far better than last season and we can still challenge I think in this league if we can improve at home.

Disappointing result yes but a few on here need to get realistic😉

Too many players making the wrong choices during last night's and many other matches.

Bamboozler giving Fane a poor pass and he tries to play out rather than move the ball to a less dangerous part of the pitch then attempts to tackle instead of just running and perhaps jockeying.

DKD mis-controlling the ball whilst cutting inside and McCalmont trying to push the winger off the ball instead of jockeying. Lawlor pushing at the ball instead of attempting to catch yet again.

Both central defenders losing a 6'7" centre forward in the 6 yard box.

Many poor crosses into their box with no-one on the end of them and players passing instead of shooting and vice versa.

All that said with a bit of luck we could have had at least a point out of the game.

As has been said before it's a poor division and you don't have to be exceptional to get promoted just make less mistakes than the opposition.

Given our crap home form I don't get why we don't play to our strengths and just go 4-2-4 from the start and go all out for the win.

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Seen some pretty hysterical reactions considering we should have probably scored six ourselves...

56 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

If you came on here for the first time you'd think we had lost 10 nil and we're bottom of the league.

Apparently Garrity, Fage, CBJ, Ntambwe, Grant, Pidge, Clarke, Mcalmont, DKD, Lawler and McAleny are all shit and we are a 1 man team in Bam!

Whereas I agree that some of the reactions in this thread are slightly over the top, your assessment to ‘get realistic’ sort of misses the point.

The negative criticism of the team display is always more widespread after a defeat but last night was an abjectly poor defensive performance. We saw the all too familiar mistakes and and yet again we saw players making the same basic errors. Nothing ‘unrealistic’ to expect players, even at the level we now find ourselves, to be able to pass, trap the ball and get close to the opposition attackers.

You, incorrectly, state that ‘apparently’ the whole starting eleven are shit. The general feeling that I get is that most on here believe that too many were off the pace last night. The defensive mistakes were glaring and preventable.

Yes we did create enough chances to win the game but both shots that hit the crossbar should have been put away. There are some in the squad that are clearly average footballers but with such a small squad and the number of injuries we currently have they are getting game time. 

Its not too much to expect that these players can get the basics right surely? 

2 hours ago, Londonboy said:

I guess I'm just pointing out we know we have deficiencies and we will make plenty of mistakes, but it's far better than last season and we can still challenge I think in this league if we can improve at home.

Is it? The attack is better, but it's hard to see how any other area has improved, in most we've gone backwards. Better attack plus better manager probably means we'll get more points, but we're not going to set the division on fire all of a sudden.

2 hours ago, Londonboy said:

We know our midfield is not going to win every ball...that won't change with the squad we have

We were pretty unlucky both hitting the woodwork and with their 2nd goal.

If it had been a draw both teams would have thought it fair.

That's not a bad overall assessment in my view. If - IF - Marco is serious about bringing two or three players in in January and if - bigger IF perhaps - the clowns and HK can identify and get hold of the type of players we need, then a top 10 finish and even a play-off bid are still possible. Otherwise, we are where we are, the league table doesn't lie.

37 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Its not too much to expect that these players can get the basics right surely? 

This is it for me in a nutshell! There were times last night when our defence was completely overrun due to a complete and collective unwillingness from our central midfielders to track back, pick up an opponent or get behind the ball.

The likes of Keillor-Dunn, Fage, and Garrity are complete passengers after losing possession which I might add is far too often!

This is not a recent development and has been apparent in all our games this season especially at home.

It is completely baffling that there has been no improvement in this area and for me is the sole reason we have such a shocking home record.

Perhaps we don’t have the personnel right now to be able to change it, however, if we want to get up and around the playoffs it’s essential we draft in the right players in January.

This is a really poor division and there is a real opportunity here to make a promotion push.

IMO Just a couple of the ‘yard dog’ types from the the ‘Royle’ era is all it would take to transform this team into promotion contenders.

In Bahamboula we have possibly the best player in the division and goal scorers in abundance, some of which will be attracting the attention of others both in our division and above. 

We have the nucleus of a very decent side and It would be a real body blow not to take full advantage this season only to lose them all in May!!

2 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

That's not a bad overall assessment in my view. If - IF - Marco is serious about bringing two or three players in in January and if - bigger IF perhaps - the clowns and HK can identify and get hold of the type of players we need, then a top 10 finish and even a play-off bid are still possible. Otherwise, we are where we are, the league table doesn't lie.

Its just annoying that with a strong decent central midfield instead of the lightweights we could be a lot higher.

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

This is it for me in a nutshell! There were times last night when our defence was completely overrun due to a complete and collective unwillingness from our central midfielders to track back, pick up an opponent or get behind the ball.

The likes of Keillor-Dunn, Fage, and Garrity are complete passengers after losing possession which I might add is far too often!

This is not a recent development and has been apparent in all our games this season especially at home.

It is completely baffling that there has been no improvement in this area and for me is the sole reason we have such a shocking home record.

Perhaps we don’t have the personnel right now to be able to change it, however, if we want to get up and around the playoffs it’s essential we draft in the right players in January.

This is a really poor division and there is a real opportunity here to make a promotion push.

IMO Just a couple of the ‘yard dog’ types from the the ‘Royle’ era is all it would take to transform this team into promotion contenders.

In Bahamboula we have possibly the best player in the division and goal scorers in abundance, some of which will be attracting the attention of others both in our division and above. 

We have the nucleus of a very decent side and It would be a real body blow not to take full advantage this season only to lose them all in May!!

Try Grant in central midfield, also a front 2 with Bahamboula  just behind them, can't be worse than now, Diarra is another to consider in CM as a ball winner.

14 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Of course. 

But I’d still rather watch a 3-2 loss than a 1 nil, even if the end result is the same. 

Imagine we were losing a load of games 1-0 in this of all seasons, folk would be absolutely losing their shit.

Any talk of playoffs etc is fanciful unless Lemmo suddenly releases the purse strings, we should just treat this season as one where a bit of the fun came back.

13 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Imagine we were losing a load of games 1-0 in this of all seasons, folk would be absolutely losing their shit.

Any talk of playoffs etc is fanciful unless Lemmo suddenly releases the purse strings, we should just treat this season as one where a bit of the fun came back.

Yeah spot on. 

At the very least it’s been entertaining even if we finish bottom half. (As is highly likely) 

51 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Of course. 

But I’d still rather watch a 3-2 loss than a 1 nil, even if the end result is the same. 

You see I feel we have a bit of a mentality issue here perhaps because we have gone so long without watching a winning team we are abit too accepting of being gallant losers.

Being an entertaining side who avoids relegation is acceptable in 1993 under joe Royle in the premier league which was being won by Manchester United. However being an entertaining side who finishes 17th in the 4th tier, a league  currently being lead by Newport County is not good enough. I know we have improved overall over the last 2 months but we need alot more if we are to get in the top 7 which is what we should be aiming at, at this level and a target we are nowhere near achieving.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be entertaining,  obviously knowone wants to lose, but it should not be beyond us to be both entertaining and winners,  at this level it's not an unreasonable expectation. If you don't believe me just look at the clubs currently in the top 7.

51 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

You see I feel we have a bit of a mentality issue here perhaps because we have gone so long without watching a winning team we are abit too accepting of being gallant losers.

Being an entertaining side who avoids relegation is acceptable in 1993 under joe Royle in the premier league which was being won by Manchester United. However being an entertaining side who finishes 17th in the 4th tier, a league  currently being lead by Newport County is not good enough. I know we have improved overall over the last 2 months but we need alot more if we are to get in the top 7 which is what we should be aiming at, at this level and a target we are nowhere near achieving.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be entertaining,  obviously knowone wants to lose, but it should not be beyond us to be both entertaining and winners,  at this level it's not an unreasonable expectation. If you don't believe me just look at the clubs currently in the top 7.

Not singling you out cos you are far from alone among our fanbase but this sense of entitlement and looking down our nose at similar clubs is very strange.

39 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Were so close its infuriating, 2 decent mids and we should at least make the play offs. We might not get another shot at this. 

I'd add a couple of defenders in their too we concede too many and we are very sucebtable to the ball into the box. We clearly need abit of experience out there to help us out. I do believe McCann and Wheater in this team would be worth 6-7 more points to us at this stage of the season which would put us in contention of the play offs.

I know the owner wants to bring in young players who we can nurture and sell on I get that. But if he wants to do that then he needs to understand what a couple of experienced pros in and amongst those young players on the pitch and in the dressing room will do alot to bring them on.

53 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Aye, I think there is an issue with mentality. But then again I’d rather try and see the positive,  (however much i’m clutching at times) because without hope there’s not much point is there? 

I've actually enjoyed the last few weeks as much as i hated the first few weeks of the season. In fact, i haven't enjoyed it so much for a long time. It might not last, which would be a shame. Last night was the kind of madness that i grew up enjoying. We might've easily won 5-3. 

We do have some poor players (Garrity, Dunn, Fage), and i'd love to see replacements for Wheater, McCann and Smith. Which also makes me think that HK might actually be doing a good with a weaker squad that last season. He should be given the backing to sign 3 players with quality/experience. AL got us into this mess, he should now give HK the backing to push on.

49 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Not singling you out cos you are far from alone among our fanbase but this sense of entitlement and looking down our nose at similar clubs is very strange.

I understand we've been accused of living in the past and their is abit of merit there.

Believing we are as big as championship level clubs who get 15-20000 in league 1 just because we were at the same level as them 25 years ago can be seen as entitled. Believing that Man United and Man City are still our rivals that's living past very much so.

But believing that we should competing at the same level as Newport County Cheltenham and Exeter isn't it's a very realistic aim.

We have been accused of living the past before now. I think we have now gone too far the other way I think the expectations are now abit too low.

Archived