MATCH: vs Exeter City (H) 23/03/21

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

3 wins from 10. Sounds like he is here for next season but the jury is well and truly out...

I have to ask, did you ever expect the jury to be in by this season?  He was never going to be a success this season and it would've taken a dreadful run for him to be a failure.

The 3 at the back with wing backs suits our defence but we haven't got the attackers that suit Curle's style (as talented as some of them are), I'm certain that his first signing that he would make would be a target man if he gets the chance in the summer.

Is he the right manager for next season?  Well I'd be amazed if we get someone with a better track record than him.

38 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

3 wins from 10. Sounds like he is here for next season but the jury is well and truly out...

Out of interest, who would you have?

you seem to have been on a downer with him since the moment he arrived.

he still has the same players that have been largely awful all season and there is absolutely no way Harry Kewell was going to make them into Brazil either 

26 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

he still has the same players that have been largely awful all season and there is absolutely no way Harry Kewell was going to make them into Brazil either 

Just on a downer with anyone associated with the team/club this season to be honest. Like I mentioned a while back, I'm sure the summer will rejuvenate me in terms of Latics...

29 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Well I'd be amazed if we get someone with a better track record than him.

This is a genuine question - is his track record the promotion last season with Northampton? What else has he done of note? Has he got anyone else out of this division...?

2 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

This is a genuine question - is his track record the promotion last season with Northampton? What else has he done of note? Has he got anyone else out of this division...?

Took Notts County and Mansfield higher than anybody has managed since.

The only place he's really failed was Torquay, and they were a basket case when he was there.

I'm still undecided.  The thing for me will be who he brings in given the opportunity, particularly at the back.

Hopefully he's got a few contacts and decent players who fancy working with him again in his preferred system.

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

😂😂

Nothing has changed IMO- if he wins 5 of his 14 games it’s a steady start considering what he has to work with. 

Honestly what were/are you expecting? That he would turn the worse defence in the league to the best without any change in personal??? 

Just now, League one forever said:

😂😂

Nothing has changed IMO- if he wins 5 of his 14 games it’s a steady start considering what he has to work with. 

Honestly what were/are you expecting? That he would turn the worse defence in the league to the best without any change in personal??? 

Nope, just that we would win more games than we don't and that we wouldn't get a drilling from footballing giants like Cambridge and Morecambe...

22 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Curle Managerial Career

His record is

1 promotion with Northampton

1 play off final defeat 

2 relegations.

His win ratio is usually circa 30-40%.

He's not a serial promotion winner say like Kenny Jacket Simon Grayson or Neil Warnock. But its not all that bad either.

1 hour ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

It isn't a feasible option by any stretch, but I'd be happy to start next season with an almost completely clean slate free of anyone who has played their part in this season. New owner, new landlords, new CEO and new players (keep DB though). Like I said, I know it isn't feasible, but I'd be well up for it at the moment...

30 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Nope, just that we would win more games than we don't and that we wouldn't get a drilling from footballing giants like Cambridge and Morecambe...

So you do want him to turn water into wine. . .  Cambridge and Morecambe are two of the better sides in the division and both are in the top 7. Heavy defeats to them shouldn’t come as a massive shock when our best defender has spent most of career in non league. 

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

They might not be footballing giants, but they are 1st and 4th in the league... 

15 hours ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

15 hours ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Took Notts County and Mansfield higher than anybody has managed since.

The only place he's really failed was Torquay, and they were a basket case when he was there.

I'm still undecided.  The thing for me will be who he brings in given the opportunity, particularly at the back.

Hopefully he's got a few contacts and decent players who fancy working with him again in his preferred system.

What Sweeper Keeper said, but also the job he did at Carlisle where he took them from the League Two relegation zone to the playoffs is fairly similar to what he could do with us (albeit with less time).  Their budget wasn't great, probably average for this league, but he made them genuine challengers.

Strangely because of the way things transpired, I watched Curle's Carlisle team against Exeter 3 times in the space of a fortnight (final day of the season league match and two playoff games).  The scores were 3-2 Carlisle, 3-3 and finally 3-2 to Exeter.  Exeter had more quality and it just about won out (the scorers in the final game were Ollie Watkins and Jack Stacey) but Curle's team made every game so hard fought because they were so well drilled.  Interestingly Nicky Adams was a massive threat throughout and provided a number of assists.

He isn't the oracle of all knowledge but he absolutely knows how to build a team at this level.  I agree that I wouldn't be disappointed to see many parts of this season not be here come August, but because of his track record Curle is one part that is worth building with.

36 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Another win. 

I think that’s 3 in his last four. 

The more surprising thing to me is that he hasn't put the handbrake on for the team in attack.

Either that or he's really trying to but it's stuck.

1 minute ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

The more surprising thing to me is that he hasn't put the handbrake for on the team in attack.

Either that or he's really trying to but it's stuck.

I just think it’s the players at his disposal Bosh. Play any system you want but if you’re better players are attackers and poor players defenders you get what we have- lots of goals and inconsistent results. 

Archived