Cecere Hat-Trick -vs- Blackburn 1987?

I'm struggling to find my Complete Record book, but have strong memories of Mike Cecere coming on as a substitute -vs- Blackburn Rovers in May '87 with the score at 0-0. In that memory he astonished us all to score a hat-trick as we went on to win 3-0. The less said about the play-off games -vs- Leeds that followed the better...I remember those games all too well.

Is the memory a reality? or a dream? Or just the wrong match....

I'll leave it to my fellow Blues to judge...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Billy_of_Lees said:

I'm struggling to find my Complete Record book, but have strong memories of Mike Cecere coming on as a substitute -vs- Blackburn Rovers in May '87 with the score at 0-0. In that memory he astonished us all to score a hat-trick as we went on to win 3-0. The less said about the play-off games -vs- Leeds that followed the better...I remember those games all too well.

No idea but fair to say whoever edited his Wiki page isn't his best mate:  Mike Cecere - Wikipedia

3 minutes ago, Billy_of_Lees said:

No it's true. Think he came on HT and scored 3 in the 2nd half in front of the RRE. Remember the third being a bullet header. At the time i thought he was awful but he certainly had a great 45 minutes.

3 minutes ago, Billy_of_Lees said:

Yes, I went to the Wikipedia page to see if it mentioned it  😀. I had it in my head he'd become a copper after retiring..

Thanks PeteG - nice to know someone else remembers it!

I think you are right, he did become a copper. I think he left us for Walsall first though.

3 hours ago, Billy_of_Lees said:

Yes, it was a nice warm day and Mike was brilliant when he came on. Last game of the season?

20 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Yes, it was a nice warm day and Mike was brilliant when he came on. Last game of the season?

It was last game of the season unless we count the play-off games v Leeds where he scored our 2nd in the home leg

Mike Cecere was going out with Rita Fairclough's foster child at the time, she used to stand in the Main Stand Paddock. 

A great hat trick that day v Blackburn, never really did anything else other than score v Leeds in that play off semi-final which nearly sparked the biggest riot BP had ever seen - sadly Keith Edwards equalised and the rest is history  

29 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

Mike Cecere was going out with Rita Fairclough's foster child at the time, she used to stand in the Main Stand Paddock. 

A great hat trick that day v Blackburn, never really did anything else other than score v Leeds in that play off semi-final which nearly sparked the biggest riot BP had ever seen - sadly Keith Edwards equalised and the rest is history  

The Leeds supporters were a angry hateful mob before the game, if we had held on and beat them it would have been carnage afterwards. Mind you the 1st leg in Leeds was the only time at a football game where I really feared for my safety. I would like to think that this sort of behaviour is a thing of the past. 

2 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

I remember that game well, I got Andy Gorams autograph he signed my football programme, that was the game Tommy Wright chucked his shirt into the caddy Road End then in the Manchester Evening News in the week  there was a plea by the  club for his shirt to be returned in time for the playoff game  as they only had one shirt! I

25 minutes ago, disjointed said:

The Leeds supporters were a angry hateful mob before the game, if we had held on and beat them it would have been carnage afterwards. Mind you the 1st leg in Leeds was the only time at a football game where I really feared for my safety. I would like to think that this sort of behaviour is a thing of the past. 

When Cecere put us 2-0 up, I was celebrating in the chaddy thinking we were still going up (although still play off final to negotiate), saw the Leeds fans moving forward on the Rochdale Road End, thought they will be on the pitch in minutes and it will be carnage. Said to my mate "If they come over now, I'm dead but at least I will die happy". Sadly would have put valour in front of discretion as many did in those days - one of the major improvements in attending football over last few seasons compared to the hairy days of the 70s and 80s. 

Had a Leeds mate who had come over from Ripon for the game, thought I hope he doesn't come round to ours after the game otherwise I may have committed murder, he didn't and I didn't lol     

6 minutes ago, Frankies6 said:

I remember that game well, I got Andy Gorams autograph he signed my football programme, that was the game Tommy Wright chucked his shirt into the caddy Road End then in the Manchester Evening News in the week  there was a plea by the  club for his shirt to be returned in time for the playoff game  as they only had one shirt! I

Wonderful stuff, remember it well, Latics always prepared for any eventuality - NOT lol   

45 minutes ago, Frankies6 said:

Did he get the shirt back?!

That team wasn't a patch on the one that gave us the golden age, but i think this was the start. Joe put forged a brilliant team spirit, playing, as usual, the right way, with a few excellent players and a few ok players who often played above themselves. Was it a win at Leeds that sent us top for the first time in a lifetime? Gary Williams? 

Very underrated team. 

14 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

That team wasn't a patch on the one that gave us the golden age, but i think this was the start. Joe put forged a brilliant team spirit, playing, as usual, the right way, with a few excellent players and a few ok players who often played above themselves. Was it a win at Leeds that sent us top for the first time in a lifetime? Gary Williams? 

Very underrated team. 

Kevin Moore (RIP) came in for us late on in the season, if we had won promotion that year he would have stayed with us. The rest is history but just look at the centre backs we acquired in the following seasons. 

2 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Very underrated team. 

We won 2-0 at Leeds with Gary Williams certainly scoring one, can't recall who got the other one - we were in the Peacock at Elland Road singing "We'll be top at 5 O'clock" before the game (we were to be as well), Leeds fans responded with "You'll be dead at ten past 5" - we weren't.

Crazy days, built on clever recruitment and good youth and now JR's side, definitely forerunner to the great team 

Wonderful days, never out of top 3 all season but sadly it was the first season when play offs took place and we finished 3rd FFS          

10 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Very underrated team. 

The nucleus of the great team was there 

12 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Very underrated team. 

my first ever away game, Elland rd, think we were 2nd and Leeds 3rd and we won 2-1, Milligan with a dipping volley from edge of box into top corner and Williams scored a curler like Whiteside for Utd against Everton in cup final.

Keith Edwards brought tears and anger to me in those two play off games, I can still describe both his goals they caused me so much resentment for a 14 year old ! 

Archived