Wigan Athletic pre season

7 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Isn't the point of friendlies that you experiment with different systems to see what works and what players will work where?

So why didn't he change during this game at half time when a back 3 was clearly a shambles?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Ended up 1-2. They hit the bar in the final minute  when it was easier to score.
Two bang average sides in a poor quality game. The Hallam Hope header was the highlight for us.  
It was a pre-season friendly. No’s 3 & 17 for us looked good. Whelan and Pidge okay. 
Thank god that’s over 👍

34 looked good late on a better player than DKD in my opinion. Who is he?

43 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Ended up 1-2. They hit the bar in the final minute  when it was easier to score.
Two bang average sides in a poor quality game. The Hallam Hope header was the highlight for us.  
It was a pre-season friendly. No’s 3 & 17 for us looked good. Whelan and Pidge okay. 
Thank god that’s over 👍

3 is Sam Hart who’s ours - been impressed with him 

the contracted players are wearing what presumably be their squad numbers this season so the fact Bam was 35 having been 24 last season suggests he isn’t going to be around - unless he has some affinity with 35 

yes I know squad numbers aren’t all that but the early numbers tend to be your starters and it’s rare you change to a higher number 

1 minute ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

3 is Sam Hart who’s ours - been impressed with him 

the contracted players are wearing what presumably be their squad numbers this season so the fact Bam was 35 having been 24 last season suggests he isn’t going to be around - unless he has some affinity with 35 

yes I know squad numbers aren’t all that but the early numbers tend to be your starters and it’s rare you change to a higher number 

Cracking header by Hallam and I to was impressed with Hart, looks good getting forward. 

I thought it was a waste of time that friendly. Not really impressed with any of the trialists. Furman has lost his touch. Lost it on edge of his own box a couple times too. 17, 21 didnt do anythin apart from run around without really completing many passes or controls. Looking scarily similar to last year with a team full of players who cant control the ball. Bahamboula looked like he couldn't b arsed. Mcgahey has the turning circle and speed of a 100 Yr old cargo ship. Second half subs didnt really get in to the game. And the fact Fage came on and played in a back three was laughable. Nice to see a striker score a header from the middle of the box for once. Apart from that I dont think Wigan where up for it or even tryin, and we still lost. We still misplaced passes. Still trialing people and swapping and changing nearly the whole team when we only have 1 or 2 friendlies left to get a shape and understanding for the first league game. Waste. Of. Time. Keith

Jameson was poor and playing too wide. Furman looked busy. I don't know who the right sided defender was 2nd. half (don't think he had a number on) but he looked a bit suspect. The No.17 was ok. Toothless 2nd. half 

3 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

I thought it was a waste of time that friendly. Not really impressed with any of the trialists. Furman has lost his touch. Lost it on edge of his own box a couple times too. 17, 21 didnt do anythin apart from run around without really completing many passes or controls. Looking scarily similar to last year with a team full of players who cant control the ball. Bahamboula looked like he couldn't b arsed. Mcgahey has the turning circle and speed of a 100 Yr old cargo ship. Second half subs didnt really get in to the game. And the fact Fage came on and played in a back three was laughable. Nice to see a striker score a header from the middle of the box for once. Apart from that I dont think Wigan where up for it or even tryin, and we still lost. We still misplaced passes. Still trialing people and swapping and changing nearly the whole team when we only have 1 or 2 friendlies left to get a shape and understanding for the first league game. Waste. Of. Time. Keith

Spot on.

2 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

Looked a dysfunctional lot with no comfortable formation.

8 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

Other than that you enjoyed it? 

4 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Other than that you enjoyed it? 

Yeah haha it was riveting. I remember a few years ago loving friendlies because it was full of gettin to know the players and formation and the odd couple of really exciting players in on trial that don't end up signing but you still got a look at a decent player. It was fun n a jolly outing with no worries of winning or losing. Last pre season wasn't too bad, but this year all you get from our friendlies is confusion and players who don't look ready and a team of players who won't be here. We have a squad of 20 atm I think? They should be getting ready for the season not these trialists who will never get signed

Bloody hell, you'd think we'd lost the cup final !

It's a pre-season game to ease players into match fitness, let the manager run the rule over a few trialists and settle on a preferred system yet some on here apparently expected to turn over a team 2 divisions higher than us and 'cos they only won by the odd goal surmises they weren't trying !

1 minute ago, Bobledgersheart said:

It's a pre-season game to ease players into match fitness, let the manager run the rule over a few trialists and settle on a preferred system yet some on here apparently expected to turn over a team 2 divisions higher than us and 'cos they only won by the odd goal surmises they weren't trying !

What settled system do you think he's aiming for? 

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

What settled system do you think he's aiming for? 

if he had big arms and waved them around a lot would you be so dismissive before a competitive ball is kicked? 

or does he need to sign one of your recommendations to get your approval?

3 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

if he had big arms and waved them around a lot would you be so dismissive before a competitive ball is kicked? 

or does he need to sign one of your recommendations to get your approval?

Maamria had a formation and players which looked promising, he should never have been sacked IMO.

32 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Its not just about fitness. They will get that anyway. But if it was about fitness I fail to see how they're getting it only playing half a game once a week. Its mainly about gettin a group of players, mainly 11-16 players playing together and getting and understanding, gettin a formation and a way of playing nailed down so they can go in to the first game, which is only 1 or 2 games away, with confidence and knowing exactly what they're doing. This group of players won't have a clue in our first game

1 hour ago, LaticsPete said:

You have a lot of knowledge BP but please be careful you don’t turn to self parody. 

Well I've seen all 3 friendlies and haven't yet seen anything resembling a formation the players are comfortable with. 

Archived