Controlling our club

17 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I've had a thought 

I don't think that long term the Trust could own the football. 

However, if we build up a large fighting fund which if we come together as fans and try and involve local businesses and sponsors and should the day come when we are in administration we could use the fund to take over the running of the club on a temporary basis with the intention that we find a long term guardian of the club who can take it forward. I don't quite understand the mechanics of this but I think it would be our best chance.

I don't believe that fan ownership is the long term solution but I do believe the fans can shape its future destiny.

Agree. There is lots of evidence to suggest that fan ownership is a stop gap but importantly a chance for fans to take control of who the club is ultimately sold to and on what terms. No issue with not being fan owned long term. It’s about controlling who has ownership. 

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Andy b said:

Agree. There is lots of evidence to suggest that fan ownership is a stop gap but importantly a chance for fans to take control of who the club is ultimately sold to and on what terms. No issue with not being fan owned long term. It’s about controlling who has ownership. 

So if that is the case all efforts now must be put in place by the Trust to build up a fighting fund. The idea that they can work with the club has passed its a lost cause trying to work with this regime, we need to think about the post Lemsagam Oldham Athletic I think that day is coming soon.

15 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

They'd be in serious danger of runnung an unauthorised collective investment scheme if they did that. That is illegal 

Dave are you knowledgeable in this area, if so I defer to your knowledge, however reading around UCIS it appears more illegal for a financial advisor to recommend a high risk scheme.

it would seem to me that if OASF guarantee to buy back the “nominal Shares” this would be low financial risk. The may be a way of getting the scheme approved by the FSA.

30 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

So if that is the case all efforts now must be put in place by the Trust to build up a fighting fund. The idea that they can work with the club has passed its a lost cause trying to work with this regime, we need to think about the post Lemsagam Oldham Athletic I think that day is coming soon.

As I said, I think the cause to raise money needs to have a more specific objective than that of a generic fighting fund. It needs to be aimed at a targeted outcome in order to get people (and businesses) interested and enthused. But essentially yes, it’s about planning for a post AL era and being in a position to have a far greater influence in the club in that future context. 

been having a think could we offer something akin to what railtrack when offered shares to staff .

it worked like this we paid from our wage a set amount each week this money went into a fund where it gained interest . at the end of a fixed period  five years in this case we were offered the choice to buy shares in the company or take the moneyplus interest and do what we like with it .

if we set up a company (oafc fighting fund ltd ) into which fans can pay with the chance  thet at the end  they  could  be holding  shares in this company that buys the club or if it doesent happen they can take away there cash plus interest and walk away . nobodys being asked to pay in huge amounts up front so low risk just £5-£10  a week if enough took it up would be a substancial fund .

know its not perfect but could be something to work from ?

That the trust doesn’t have this in place nor any real plan to do so is it’s single biggest failing over nearly 20 years of existence. 

When I entered the trust in 2018 I was told don’t worry we have the ‘big red button’ we can press if worst came to the worst. Simon Brooke, diane mellor et al. Oh and we nearly pressed it under corney.

Very quickly became clear that the big red button would trigger a statement recording the trust’s concerns and lack of faith in the owner. That was and remains their sole recourse and the extent of any safety net it can offer to prop up the club. 

Bet corney was shit scared! Am sure AL is too.

8 minutes ago, Andy b said:

That the trust doesn’t have this in place nor any real plan to do so is it’s single biggest failing over nearly 20 years of existence. 

When I entered the trust in 2018 I was told don’t worry we have the ‘big red button’ we can press if worst came to the worst. Simon Brooke, diane mellor et al. Oh and we nearly pressed it under corney.

Very quickly became clear that the big red button would trigger a statement recording the trust’s concerns and lack of faith in the owner. That was and remains their sole recourse and the extent of any safety net it can offer to prop up the club. 

What did they have, around 200 members at the time? Think the idea that a small fanbase like could raise funds on the scale required is fanciful. We need these prospective buyers to step forward and step forward now. Forget the ground, that can wait, just get the club.

9 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

What did they have, around 200 members at the time? Think the idea that a small fanbase like could raise funds on the scale required is fanciful. We need these prospective buyers to step forward and step forward now. Forget the ground, that can wait, just get the club.

Agree. Won’t happen with fan money alone. That the trust only have 200 members is irrelevant though. We have thousands of fans and they are the prospective financial contributors, not just the 200. 

Morning all

Quick update. The strategy included investment in a professional built website. This site is loosely based on the Foundation of hearts model. We want it to be a one stop shop for all - fans, members and businesses.

There will be a pledge (might change name yet to something else) page. It has to be GDPR and FCA compliant. 

The strategy includes having links will businesses and Council

We have a new team and they have been given an overview of the website and will be heavily involved in its content.

We want all fans to be involved in the journey, whether you can give £1 every so often or more. Anything labelled "1895" is for the contingency fund. 

1895 lottery has raised £8k with 224 players. Draw is every Sunday. Jackpot is £1k today. Draw 2pm. Cutoff 1pm. We are looking for a sponsor and prizes too

1895 Pledge (or other name tba) - launch October

1895 leave a latics legacy - leave something in your will like the Dale fan did. Based on Canaries Trust model. Only a discussion at the mo

The 1895 contingency fund will be run by trustees (guardians) TBA

OASF also have admin costs. If anyone can help in the meantime by using the Easyfundraising online shopping tool, would be a big help. 4, 000 retailers that will give us a kickback. We will be looking for a sponsor

We also have to contingency plan if club, stadium or both become available.....A, B, C

A = Asset of community value - project management planning

C = Club

B = Both

We have to be responsible and be ready for fan ownership/majority investment. We cannot wait for EFL reform via the Fan Led Review.

Thanks

1 minute ago, underdog said:

Morning all

Quick update. The strategy included investment in a professional built website. This site is loosely based on the Foundation of hearts model. We want it to be a one stop shop for all - fans, members and businesses.

There will be a pledge (might change name yet to something else) page. It has to be GDPR and FCA compliant. 

The strategy includes having links will businesses and Council

We have a new team and they have been given an overview of the website and will be heavily involved in its content.

We want all fans to be involved in the journey, whether you can give £1 every so often or more. Anything labelled "1895" is for the contingency fund. 

1895 lottery has raised £8k with 224 players. Draw is every Sunday. Jackpot is £1k today. Draw 2pm. Cutoff 1pm. We are looking for a sponsor and prizes too

1895 Pledge (or other name tba) - launch October

1895 leave a latics legacy - leave something in your will like the Dale fan did. Based on Canaries Trust model. Only a discussion at the mo

The 1895 contingency fund will be run by trustees (guardians) TBA

OASF also have admin costs. If anyone can help in the meantime by using the Easyfundraising online shopping tool, would be a big help. 4, 000 retailers that will give us a kickback. We will be looking for a sponsor

We also have to contingency plan if club, stadium or both become available.....A, B, C

A = Asset of community value - project management planning

C = Club

B = Both

C = Club, 

We have to be responsible and be ready for fan ownership/majority investment. We cannot wait for EFL reform via the Fan Led Review.

Thanks

I think we all know Tracy that the approach at the moment will raise a fraction of what it could if it were marketed properly, spoke to fans and was based on clear messaging about the purpose of the fund raising. Asking people to chuck some money in for a rainy day won’t see the fund get into 6 figures, let alone 7. 

12 minutes ago, Andy b said:

I think we all know Tracy that the approach at the moment will raise a fraction of what it could if it were marketed properly, spoke to fans and was based on clear messaging about the purpose of the fund raising. Asking people to chuck some money in for a rainy day won’t see the fund get into 6 figures, let alone 7. 

We know that Oldham is in a deprived area, we know post covid money is scarce, we know that we are in a catchment area that is saturated by other local successful clubs.

We are one of 12 clubs in crisis in the EFL (we were one of two Sept,2019), post covid. What would make us an attractive buy if 12 clubs became available? Our club is seperated from its asset. Its a dysfunctional set up - not unique.  Clubs seperated from its asset was our chosen brief at the recent Fan Led Review.

What we have is the dialogue open with Oldham council on a project that could take us beyond the glass ceiling of league one fan owed clubs. If I remember, you was going to work on it with Mark? We have had two meetings with the council, 2 MP's have been briefed and Oldham College are interested too. We are aiming high with it but if we don't exhaust all routes.

25 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

You want somebody to grossly overpay for something? 

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

I've had a thought 

I don't think that long term the Trust could own the football club. 

However, if we build up a large fighting fund which if we come together as fans and try and involve local businesses and sponsors and should the day come when we are in administration we could use the fund to take over the running of the club on a temporary basis, with the intention that we find a long term guardian of the club, who can take it forward. I don't quite understand the mechanics of this but I think it would be our best chance.

I don't believe that fan ownership is the long term solution but I do believe the fans can shape its future destiny.

There is only one person who is qualified to run the club in that interim period…. Will fans have except him back….

43 minutes ago, Andy b said:

That was the red button? 😂

2 minutes ago, underdog said:

We know that Oldham is in a deprived area, we know post covid money is scarce, we know that we are in a catchment area that is saturated by other local successful clubs.

What we have is the dialogue open with Oldham council on a project that could take us beyond the glass ceiling of league one fan owed clubs. If I remember, you was going to work on it with Mark? We have had two meetings with the council, 2 MP's have been briefed and Oldham College are interested too. We are aiming high with it but if we don't exhaust all routes.

Wish the trust the best of luck with that Tracy and it’s great that you are looking into it but you need to bring our fan base on that journey and broaden efforts substantially. Set out a clear purpose for building up the coffers and have a clearly defined end in mind and you will achieve much more in doing so. 

Get fans interested rather than pursuing business ideas siloed from our fanbase. You are putting a lot of faith in a single idea to raise money without using the power - brain, physical and financial - of the thousands that are invested in the club and want to see it succeed.

2 minutes ago, Andy b said:

Wish the trust the best of luck with that Tracy and it’s great that you are looking into it but you need to bring our fan base on that journey and broaden efforts substantially. Set out a clear purpose for building up the coffers and have a clearly defined end in mind and you will achieve much more in doing so. 

Get fans interested rather than pursuing business ideas siloed from our fanbase. You are putting a lot of faith in a single idea to raise money without using the power - brain, physical and financial - of the thousands that are invested in the club and want to see it succeed.

New chaps have lots of new ideas to mix with the two oldies left.

so TBA

2 minutes ago, latics22 said:

There is only one person who is qualified to run the club in that interim period…. Will fans have except him back….

I wonder if anyone has thought of asking SC and Blitz if they'd like to buy the club back at a knockdown price .😉

35 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

with you on this 

4 minutes ago, underdog said:

New chaps have lots of new ideas to mix with the two oldies left.

so TBA

Great. Look forward to hearing those. 

but please please think about what we are raising money for. That is absolutely vital to getting fans buy in and commitment. Fans are the low hanging fruit in terms of securing unconditional monetary contributions. 

56 minutes ago, League one forever said:

You want somebody to grossly overpay for something? 

I don't want to be in non league before they make their move and would suggest that goes for a lot of the fanbase.

He isn't going to give it away and nor should he be expected to do.

Just now, deyres42 said:

I don't want to be in non league before they make their move and would suggest that goes for a lot of the fanbase.

He isn't going to give it away and nor should he be expected to do.

Yeah - he really should. 

If you have been badly advised/Negligent/stupid then compounded that by making silly financial commitments (menig) what you don’t do and can’t do is expect the next person to pay for all your mistakes. Well- you could. But you’ll get laughed out of the room. 

As far as I can see - you want someone to come out from behind the curtain and say. 

‘oh, alright- go on then- here’s your 5 million you little tease.’ 

Never. Ever. Going. To. Happen. 

Far more likely is admin or relegation and somebody picking us up for next to nothing- which is what the badge is worth. 

10 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yeah - he really should. 

If you have been badly advised/Negligent/stupid then compounded that by making silly financial commitments (menig) what you don’t do and can’t do is expect the next person to pay for all your mistakes. Well- you could. But you’ll get laughed out of the room. 

As far as I can see - you want someone to come out from behind the curtain and say. 

‘oh, alright- go on then- here’s your 5 million you little tease.’ 

Never. Ever. Going. To. Happen. 

Far more likely is admin or relegation and somebody picking us up for next to nothing- which is what the badge is worth. 

Our fans turn their noses up over the teams we play now, you think they are putting up with locking horns with the likes of Dover and Kings Lynn?

And I don't think it would take anything like 5 million to buy him out.

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Our fans turn their noses up over the teams we play now, you think they are putting up with locking horns with the likes of Dover and Kings Lynn?

And I don't think it would take anything like 5 million to buy him out.

If we are beating Dover and King’s Lynn- yes. Even more under new ownership. 

Been reported by multiple sources that is what he’s asked for. 

Archived