Controlling our club

5 minutes ago, Andy b said:

I am. 

I’d like to see Matt grabbing hold of the agenda. A natural leader which is what the trust has never ever had in my experience and am so pleased he has stepped up. 

It has raised the question in my mind as to getting back involved but life’s busy! 

He’s doing a great job on the podcast and hopefully he along with some

of the other stuff starting to happen can help change. I’m definitely behind it. 

From reading your posts and your past actions with the trust, seems to me you’ve definitely got something to bring to the table with some more like minded individuals perhaps now engaged. 

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

We have about 8 hospitality boxes shut. The fan bar before and after the game could/should be rammed. We have some commercial space in that stand to rent out, even more if the gym leaves. The terrace shops need sorting out, bloody chips from a pint glass when I went to the first game.

Do the foundation have a presence on match day about this lottery ? We could hold events with former players, pay for tickets ect. There is loads we could be doing, but we need it all under one entity. 

This is true but would involve us owning said stand and getting rid OEC

6 minutes ago, PeteG said:

This is true but would involve us owning said stand and getting rid OEC

Seems to be getting lost in the mix, but Blitz had agreed to sell the ground to the fans and there was a method in place to finance it. 

I know in some quarters the FLG didn’t gather too much enthusiasm, but there seemed to be a realistic way of making it happen. 

All went quiet when Abdallah apparently agreed the deal to acquire it…. 

I am convinced that if pitched properly and passionately and known to be going to a worthy cause which fans buy into, the trust could secure donations of between 1k and 2k each from 750 to 1000 fans in the short term. 

granted that won’t get the club but it would be a great start. 

The effort will need to go into defining the cause and giving it the credibility it needs. No one will put their hands in their pockets otherwise 

20 minutes ago, Andy b said:

I am convinced that if pitched properly and passionately and known to be going to a worthy cause which fans buy into, the trust could secure donations of between 1k and 2k each from 750 to 1000 fans in the short term. 

The effort will need to go into defining the cause and giving it the credibility it needs. No one will put their hands in their pockets otherwise 

iirc something similar was done with fans at the end of the Ken Bates era fans gave the club $1k each to help save  the club stay afloat in return they got life time season tickets hospitality etc 

26 minutes ago, Andy b said:

If only it had been done a decade ago 

This is just thinking out loud (publicly), so don’t shoot me down to badly!

Is there mileage in the OASF selling some form of notional share in the club for £1 for 100,000th of a share.  No no hear me out! 🙃

We are used to buying Bitcoin, so .00001 of a share isn’t so scary. They could give one free with a £2 lottery bet to encourage sales. People could donate to the purchase fund by buy buying some.  The OASF would buy them back if never needed to purchase the club. If the the club is purchased, they become real part shares in the club.

ok ok work needed. Someone clever may work on it 

2 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Is there mileage in the OASF selling some form of notional share in the club for £1 for 100,000th of a share.  No no hear me out! 🙃

We are used to buying Bitcoin, so .00001 of a share isn’t so scary. They could give one free with a £2 lottery bet to encourage sales. People could donate to the purchase fund by buy buying some.  The OASF would buy them back if never needed to purchase the club. If the the club is purchased, they become real part shares in the club.

Sounds good but I'm not your man, someone clever will be along soon.

At least its an idea 👍

33 minutes ago, Pidge said:

They'd be in serious danger of runnung an unauthorised collective investment scheme if they did that. That is illegal 

I’m confident that if the Lemsagams fucked off then the fans would happily contribute financially to the club.  Equally sponsors would return if they knew and trusted a regime that genuinely cared about the future of our club based around Oldham as a community.

Would it be possible to secure 5000 fans at £200-£250 per season as the ST?  That’s £1,000,000 to £1,250,000 in ST income alone.  Compare that with £525,000 (2100 x £250) currently under these clowns.  

Unfortunately I don’t know Oldham as a town as my only visits have been to watch the team.  Therefore I would not know where to start with local networking.  If I lived closer or in the town then I’d happily get more involved.  However I’d support financially if the departure of Lemsagams and Evans was guaranteed.  I’d also use contacts football-based to assist as best as I could.  Thats 4 (3 plus me) so I’m confident 5000 or even 6,000 to 7,000 isn’t inconceivable 

9 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

I’m confident that if the Lemsagams fucked off then the fans would happily contribute financially to the club.  Equally sponsors would return if they knew and trusted a regime that genuinely cared about the future of our club based around Oldham as a community.

Would it be possible to secure 5000 fans at £200-£250 per season as the ST?  That’s £1,000,000 to £1,250,000 in ST income alone.  Compare that with £525,000 (2100 x £250) currently under these clowns.  

Unfortunately I don’t know Oldham as a town as my only visits have been to watch the team.  Therefore I would not know where to start with local networking.  If I lived closer or in the town then I’d happily get more involved.  However I’d support financially if the departure of Lemsagams and Evans was guaranteed.  I’d also use contacts football-based to assist as best as I could.  Thats 4 (3 plus me) so I’m confident 5000 or even 6,000 to 7,000 isn’t inconceivable 

Oldham has quite a good catchment are when you consider Tameside has no EFL club. I  remember lots from that area followed us in the 1990s, not so now. However a good team and results would help.

This is an interesting thread.

Our Trust at Blackpool has, at various times, had taking an equity share in the ownership of the club as a core objective. That was framed when the Oystons were in charge ; it seems much less important now, and I think there is a direct correlation between how attractive the option seems and the perception of the quality of the owners. It's bound to have some appeal to you now, given where you are.

it can be made to work, as the admirable folk at Exeter have shown. I would say though that they are probably the blue riband club in these terms, and it would be interesting to see how sustainable they think their business model would be if they had an extended stay in L1, which has a fair few big fish in it these days. We're having to face up to a similar reality about life in the Championship, where the average wage bill is somewhere north of £30m a year. Does this mean that fan ownership comes with an in-built glass ceiling? Not necessarily. But it might.

I think it will be easier to sensibly assess all your options after the outcome of the fan-led review is known. If the FSA get their way then the Supporters Trusts may  get an enhanced level of influence (through veto rights on key strategic issues) that they don't have now and which will given them a de facto seat at the table in all clubs where there is a Trust.  But we don't yet know how successful the FSA's lobbying has been, or the nature of any legislation that will be needed to put it into effect.

All this is a long-winded way of saying that there is no easy answer and this may not be the time to rush down any particular path. But time spent on contingency planning now is probably going to be time well spent.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Oldham has quite a good catchment are when you consider Tameside has no EFL club. I  remember lots from that area followed us in the 1990s, not so now. However a good team and results would help.

with citeah having moved to the emptyhad that has completley changed tram bus and train from all that cathment strait to the ground lots of comunity work especialy with kids means it would be an up hill struggle 

11 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

This is an interesting thread.

Our Trust at Blackpool has, at various times, had taking an equity share in the ownership of the club as a core objective. That was framed when the Oystons were in charge ; it seems much less important now, and I think there is a direct correlation between how attractive the option seems and the perception of the quality of the owners. It's bound to have some appeal to you now, given where you are.

it can be made to work, as the admirable folk at Exeter have shown. I would say though that they are probably the blue riband club in these terms, and it would be interesting to see how sustainable they think their business model would be if they had an extended stay in L1, which has a fair few big fish in it these days. We're having to face up to a similar reality about life in the Championship, where the average wage bill is somewhere north of £30m a year. Does this mean that fan ownership comes with an in-built glass ceiling? Not necessarily. But it might.

I think it will be easier to sensibly assess all your options after the outcome of the fan-led review is known. If the FSA get their way then the Supporters Trusts may  get an enhanced level of influence (through veto rights on key strategic issues) that they don't have now and which will given them a de facto seat at the table in all clubs where there is a Trust.  But we don't yet know how successful the FSA's lobbying has been, or the nature of any legislation that will be needed to put it into effect.

All this is a long-winded way of saying that there is no easy answer and this may not be the time to rush down any particular path. But time spent on contingency planning now is probably going to be time well spent.

Great post. Thanks for the feedback. Increasing influence takes many forms. Does it need majority ownership to be able to have influence? Ideally not. It’s a spectrum. At the moment our trust has zero influence and that has been the case for many years. It can’t go on like that. It needs to change its focus to secure that influence. 

My concern is that ‘contingency planning’ doesn’t give people fire in their bellies and an appeal to raise funds for this broad purpose won’t see people putting their hands in their pockets. Any fund raising effort needs to be directed at a more clearly defined and tangible purpose which really speaks to people. Granted  contingency planning is not all about money but it’s a big part of it. 

8 minutes ago, Andy b said:

My concern is that ‘contingency planning’ doesn’t give people fire in their bellies and an appeal to raise funds for this broad purpose won’t see people putting their hands in their pockets. Any fund raising effort needs to be directed at a more clearly defined and tangible purpose which really speaks to people. Granted  contingency planning is not all about money but it’s a big part of it. 

This is absolutely spot on. 

There is a massive difference in message between. 

Fancy giving us a few quid through our latest fundraising idea,  on the off chance we might be able to take over the club one day. 

Or

Contribute your money because we are planning to take control of the club. 

Whether you can or not- is moot really. It’s all about how you frame it initially. Once you have buy in, you have momentum. 

1 minute ago, latics22 said:

Seems a lot of ideas and very little action. So who can do this? Who is willing to say here and now I’ll do it?

That’s the point of putting it to the trust and asking them to get a brief from the fans to drive this. It can’t do that without a valid mandate and it will only happen as an initiative through the trust.

If it’s established as a strategic aim of the trust with majority buy in from the fans, then many will put themselves forward to contribute financially and in other ways I am sure 

3 hours ago, League one forever said:

This is absolutely spot on. 

There is a massive difference in message between. 

Fancy giving us a few quid through our latest fundraising idea,  on the off chance we might be able to take over the club one day. 

Or

Contribute your money because we are planning to take control of the club. 

Whether you can or not- is moot really. It’s all about how you frame it initially. Once you have buy in, you have momentum. 

Highly risky/unrealistic. Even if enough fans were prepared to hand over a decent amount of cash- a big if - imagine the meltdown if subsequently "we" didn't/couldn't get control of the club. Bridges would be burnt.

2 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Highly risky/unrealistic. Even if enough fans were prepared to hand over a decent amount of cash- a big if - imagine the meltdown if subsequently "we" didn't/couldn't get control of the club. Bridges would be burnt.

Disagree. The money would be held in trust until such a time we did get control. If that didn’t happen/wasn’t needed. Money is either offered back or fans are asked if they would to keep it in the coffers. 

9 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Let’s not be so defeatist eh

I've had a thought 

I don't think that long term the Trust could own the football club. 

However, if we build up a large fighting fund which if we come together as fans and try and involve local businesses and sponsors and should the day come when we are in administration we could use the fund to take over the running of the club on a temporary basis, with the intention that we find a long term guardian of the club, who can take it forward. I don't quite understand the mechanics of this but I think it would be our best chance.

I don't believe that fan ownership is the long term solution but I do believe the fans can shape its future destiny.

19 hours ago, Andy b said:

i do like the idea of something like this. Not as sure as u we’d get the donations but would be nice to try and see. Problem is, at the moment, it’s a toss up what is worse, the football on the pitch or the efforts by the fans to do something. Agree though that it’s the defining the cause and plan that needs the work putting in so we can all get behind something with a clear obtainable outcome

Archived