BPAS PODCAST SEASON 2: 10th Jan '22 Episode 66: Fan Action

15 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Despite his history and putting aside the dislike of Blitz the ground ownership is relatively stable. Has there ever been a threat to evict us from BP? If you buy the ground then all the expenses that go with it are yours to pay and there won't be much money around.

Plenty of clubs have managed to survive and thrive without having their own ground to play on Coventry being a great example

The absolute priority has to be get the Lemmys away from the club.

The club has only 9 years left on it's lease. Not a long time in the great big scheme of things especially if it's a phoenix club starting again in say the 10th tier. So therefore it's not quite as stable as you may think.

52 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

There are a lot of people who want things to happen but very few who are prepared to do the hard yards themselves to make it happen

It’s the same in every aspect of life. Even in the small village I live in, it’s the same old faces who volunteer and step up to help.

Success comes when the few galvanise the many.

Those thinking it is wise for Latics to become homeless in the search for redemption should look close to home and the fate of Oldham rugby. A generation after leaving Watersheddings, being liquidated and starting over, they still wander region as a zombie club.

Couldn't face this happening to Oldham's other major sporting entity.

13 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

I'm similar to you Phil, but for different reasons. As with all fans I really fear for the future. I support your Dan and the PTB lads in their quest to rid the club of of Abdallah's reign, but I just can't agree with boycotting as the way to do it. I fully respect yours and others opinion that it's the way to go, but for me I can't go down that road. For one, I refuse to let the clowns stop me doing something that I've always done, and secondly, I don't prescribe to the 'starve him of money' theory. I doubt he's putting any more money in now, hence the EFL loan, which results in the club being starved of money and the shite squad of players we have now. My money goes to keep the club going as far as I can see, not into Abdallah's pocket.

Like I've said though, I fully respect others right to do this. What I do object to is those (and there's a few on here) who claim I am backing Abdallah because I do what football fans do, support my team. Support the team, not the regime, seems to have died a death.

It hurts me when good fans like yourself, who  I've known for many a year, feel that pissed off with it all that they can no longer bring themselves to go.

The fanbase is totally divided, although most of us want the same thing.

I just couldn't stomach the way the Lemsagams do business Steve, the constant hiring and firing of managers without ever letting them manage. The Stasi like approach by the ownership to any "dissenters" just makes it even less appealing to return.  The rhetoric from the regime has always made it obvious that we supporters are immaterial to the ownership and so it's even harder to make a case to pay out hard earned money to fund Abdallah's plaything. 

I would never condemn anyone for supporting the team or the club Steve, I have done that for 50 odd years and hope to do so again as soon as possible. My absenteeism is due to personal discontent at how the ownership operates and how they have ruined what little was left that was good at the club. I do think that there are elements of the fanbase who think that the fans who have stopped going or those who are actively seeking to change the way the club is run are the bad guys too. 

I still love Latics and want them to win every single game, whether the owners are in situ or not. I would be happy to never go again if the Lemmies managed to turn it round and got results sufficient to stay up or even go up subsequently as it would mean Latics had turned the tide and were on the right path once again. 

I always wanted to be wrong about Abdallah and that i would be proved so, sadly I fear I was always right and he was never the man to take the club forward.     

Whatever happens, I will always treasure OAFC being my team for the 50 odd years it has been and it has been a pleasure and a privilege to share my time watching them with such good people as you and Jimmy,  Dave Holt, Col Shaw, Dutty etc. etc. even Phil White lol.         

44 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Despite his history and putting aside the dislike of Blitz the ground ownership is relatively stable. Has there ever been a threat to evict us from BP? If you buy the ground then all the expenses that go with it are yours to pay and there won't be much money around.

Plenty of clubs have managed to survive and thrive without having their own ground to play on Coventry being a great example

The absolute priority has to be get the Lemmys away from the club.

It’s a two way street though isn’t it? 

Yes, we incur the costs but we could take pride in the ground by looking looking after it, and actually trying to maximise it’s potential. . 

I see it as very similar to renting a house, the landlord doesn’t want to decorate, because he doesn’t live there. The Tennant doesn’t want to pay because he doesn’t own it, and why should he make it nice for somebody else to profit on. . meanwhile the house rots and decays. 

On you’re other point about a floating homeless club/s I think Cov are the exception not the rule and are a far bigger club than us, making it easier to stay sustainable. Can’t imagine many Latics fans going to watch in Ashton in a non league fixture. 

29 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

It’s the same in every aspect of life. Even in the small village I live in, it’s the same old faces who volunteer and step up to help.

Success comes when the few galvanise the many.

Yep.  I've served on village hall committees etc.  Trouble is this has been ongoing now for almost a quarter of a century and there has been precious little sign of momentum building.

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Literally no one has said that Joe. 

It’s about AL leaving not the utopia of non league- because that doesn’t exist. 

When we go down whoever owns it, has got a mountain to climb. 

The sentiment is that there’s no evidence to suggest the Lemsegams will go whether we stay up or go down. The amount of financial income they try to generate suggests that money isn’t a big factor for them, so the lower income they’ll get from dropping out of the league might not matter to them.

So I’m going with good old-fashioned footballing common sense that it’s better to finish as high as possible. Staying in the league keeps us relevant and more attractive to buyers. If the Foundation survey is anything to go by, no one’s buying a season ticket next year regardless of what league we’re in, so let’s stay up and stay attractive to potential investors.

Unfortunately, it looks like we’re going to find out if your theory comes true, though..

37 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

I just couldn't stomach the way the Lemsagams do business Steve, the constant hiring and firing of managers without ever letting them manage. The Stasi like approach by the ownership to any "dissenters" just makes it even less appealing to return.  The rhetoric from the regime has always made it obvious that we supporters are immaterial to the ownership and so it's even harder to make a case to pay out hard earned money to fund Abdallah's plaything. 

I would never condemn anyone for supporting the team or the club Steve, I have done that for 50 odd years and hope to do so again as soon as possible. My absenteeism is due to personal discontent at how the ownership operates and how they have ruined what little was left that was good at the club. I do think that there are elements of the fanbase who think that the fans who have stopped going or those who are actively seeking to change the way the club is run are the bad guys too. 

I still love Latics and want them to win every single game, whether the owners are in situ or not. I would be happy to never go again if the Lemmies managed to turn it round and got results sufficient to stay up or even go up subsequently as it would mean Latics had turned the tide and were on the right path once again. 

I always wanted to be wrong about Abdallah and that i would be proved so, sadly I fear I was always right and he was never the man to take the club forward.     

Whatever happens, I will always treasure OAFC being my team for the 50 odd years it has been and it has been a pleasure and a privilege to share my time watching them with such good people as you and Jimmy,  Dave Holt, Col Shaw, Dutty etc. etc. even Phil White lol.         

😀😀😀😀😀😀

you just can’t let it go that we dragged you down the A1 can you ? It wasn’t my fault you couldn’t jump in a moving car as fast as we did 🙄🙄🙄🙄

32 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

I've been dissilusioned with the way Latics have been run for years. The way Corney and Owen ran the club, with their chasing of killers and rapists to play for us down to their ' We're punching above our weight in the Third Division' mantra appalled me. Abdallah's ineptness has taken it to another level though, and the recent thing with Bradley and Binman is the latest in a long line of disastrous decisions.

I fully get where your coming from, and hopefully the situation will change one day soon and you'll feel able to return. What state we'll be in though, god only knows.

6 minutes ago, JoeP said:

The amount of financial income they try to generate suggests that money isn’t a big factor for them, so the lower income they’ll get from dropping out of the league might not matter to them.

Signing one striker for a professional club. 

Need a EFL loan

Can’t pay back an EFL loan

Haven’t hired a manager, after firing the last. (Selim doesn’t count 😂

Skelton non playing staff. 

Non of that is speculation, it’s evidence of the here and now.  

So I’d suggest it’s clear as day that money is a very big factor for them, and in a few months they’re going to lose a lot of support from the EFL when we go down. 

So if things are this bad financially WITH support. How will AL go on without it. . .

He’ll either cut his cloth, and we’ll go down again.

He’ll sell. (Which I can’t see , because no one will pay what he wants)

or most likely we’ll go into admin. . 

11 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Signing one striker for a professional club. 

Need a EFL loan

Can’t pay back an EFL loan

Haven’t hired a manager, after firing the last. (Selim doesn’t count 😂

Skelton non playing staff. 

Non of that is speculation, it’s evidence of the here and now.  

So I’d suggest it’s clear as day that money is a very big factor for them, and in a few months they’re going to lose a lot of support from the EFL when we go down. 

So if things are this bad financially WITH support. How will AL go on without it. . .

He’ll either cut his cloth, and we’ll go down again.

He’ll sell. (Which I can’t see , because no one will pay what he wants)

or most likely we’ll go into admin. . 

You see that all suggests to me he can’t be arsed running it properly and cares about cash in that he doesn’t want to spend anymore on it, but doesn’t care how much it brings in, otherwise he’d run it properly.

If he cared about money in the way you’re portraying, he’d surely have sold the club ages ago?

So it’s a financial milestone around his neck, he says he doesn’t want to sell and will only sell for some ridiculous figure which surely won’t recoup the money he’s put in in the past. I would suggest there’s other motivations at play.

28 minutes ago, philwhite said:

😀😀😀😀😀😀

you just can’t let it go that we dragged you down the A1 can you ? It wasn’t my fault you couldn’t jump in a moving car as fast as we did 🙄🙄🙄🙄

Great memories Phil lol, was thinking of some other silly trips this morning - police eating chips in back alleyway at the Vetch always raises a smile  

1 hour ago, PeteG said:

The club has only 9 years left on it's lease. Not a long time in the great big scheme of things especially if it's a phoenix club starting again in say the 10th tier. So therefore it's not quite as stable as you may think.

With regards to the lease….I’m sure OMBC appreciate the value to the Borough of having a professional football club in the town and believe that could be a real advantage here.

Boundary Park has been the home of Oldham Athletic in the town for over 100 years, couldn’t the council refuse planning permission for any housing, thus rendering the site (other than for housing a football club) worthless to the Amigos?

Regardless of the sites potential for a housing development (which is almost certainly why they bought it in the first place) they actually bought a football club and for that reason they really could have no complaints!!!!

48 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

With regards to the lease….I’m sure OMBC appreciate the value to the Borough of having a professional football club in the town and believe that could be a real advantage here.

Boundary Park has been the home of Oldham Athletic in the town for over 100 years, couldn’t the council refuse planning permission for any housing, thus rendering the site (other than for housing a football club) worthless to the Amigos?

Regardless of the sites potential for a housing development (which is almost certainly why they bought it in the first place) they actually bought a football club and for that reason they really could have no complaints!!!!

100% agree with you. My worry is if we were liquidated then the council might not be as willing to object. I've always had the nagging suspicion that the ground is worth more to Blitz without a football club and that's been his plan for a long time. Could well be wrong of course.

56 minutes ago, JoeP said:

If he cared about money in the way you’re portraying, he’d surely have sold the club ages ago?

57 minutes ago, JoeP said:

he says he doesn’t want to sell and will only sell for some ridiculous figure which surely won’t recoup the money he’s put in in the past.

You answered you’re own question. 

I’m not portraying anything Joe, or trying to guess his relationship with his money- I’ve never met the man. 

I’m merely saying- the evidence points to the club being skint as it is, if the club is skint with help from EFL, it’s going to get a lot worse when that support goes with relegation. 

34 minutes ago, League one forever said:

You answered you’re own question. 

I’m not portraying anything Joe, or trying to guess his relationship with his money- I’ve never met the man. 

I’m merely saying- the evidence points to the club being skint as it is, if the club is skint with help from EFL, it’s going to get a lot worse when that support goes with relegation. 

That’s not the answer to my question. He’s never going to recoup his money (I.e he’s willing to lose more money the longer this goes on) and doesn’t really seem to want to sell. It just doesn’t add up, which is why I think it’s uncertain that going down will determine whether he stays or goes.

Anyway - I hope you turn out to be right, because the league table is looking pretty grim..

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived