BPAS PODCAST SEASON 2: 17th Jan '22 Episode 67: "I Won’t Make Excuses - We Are Where We Are"

"I can see that my ownership has caused unrest within the club and the fans. I want the best for the club and I think the best for the club is that it is now passed on to new owners. My team is speaking to certain credible bidders and I am happy to speak to others".

You can now support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 here. All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone, but we'll throw the odd bonus episode your way by way of thanks should you choose to.

You can also support us by visiting https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast.

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg. Read more about FanHub here

You can find out more about Push The Boundary by visiting them at www.pushtheboundary.co.uk and following on Twitter @PTB_OAFC. Find out more about OASF at www.oldhamathleticsupportersfoundation.com

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

We've been trying for weeks to get guests on the pod who don't just automatically agree with the sentiments of the podcast team / PTB and it's been very difficult. We really appreciate Jon coming on and sharing his view, even if we struggle to understand how/why he isn't prepared to do anything and/or change his behaviour.

As we've said & demonstrated many times, everyone who comes on will be treated respectfully & be given a platform to express their opinion freely. If anyone else wishes to come on and share a view they don't think has been represented, please get in touch.

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

Stand out genuine laugh out loud moment with the optimism comment and John's deadpan demeanour.

Quite true.

I respect the fact that everyone who goes on the podcast is allowed the time and respect to comment and put their opinions across.

I think to some fans John will be deemed to be one of the happy clappers. One of those who just wants to go to the football with his family and go home, he isn't a shouter or screamer, he just enjoys his saturdays at BP for what it is, to him.

Not everyone is a vocal fan who spends 90 mins at 180 beats per minute, doesn't mean you're a lesser fan if you are quieter.

I cant judge anybody as I live too far away to attend all home games, if we were doing very well would I make more effort, yes.

I really dont think turning up in droves now would be to fully support the team, but more to show any potential buyers that there are Oldham fans out there and willing to come to BP to support a well run club with some ambition.

I am aware of one of the interested parties and they will be fully aware of the situation with the fans, town and surrounding area.

The others interested may be tempted more if 5/6000 turned up to try and push the team over the line. 

Good listen again from a cold north west cumbria surrounded by Man utd, Liverpool, Newcastle and 2 or 3 carlisle fans.

Good listen as usual. 

John come across as a decent fella, and I think they’re a considerable number like him who just aren’t interested in the politics- fair enough.

One thing I do find difficult to understand though, is how any fan like John has still got the stomach/will to continue to turn up and pay to watch us get worse and worse, without really taking an interest in why.  I think it’s admirable and puzzling in equal measure.

It's an interesting question about whether to put any boycotting on hold. I am of a similar opinion to Andy, I would be willing to make an effort to come up to home games to support the team, but only if AL backs up the first part of his recent statement where he says "I am now focused on improving the squad to fight the relegation battle we are now in". He's failed to deliver on promises before, but over the next 2 weeks we will see whether he meant this statement or not. If there's a clear improvement in the squad by the end of the window then I would be happy with going to matches again and would be fine with supporter groups encouraging others to do the same.

But that would only be under the guise of fans trying to do their part to help avoid the drop to non-league which would be disastrous. Season ticket sales for next season are another matter entirely, and until there is progress on the sale of the club I wouldn't expect there to be any let up in a boycott when it comes to those.

2 hours ago, basilrobbie said:

Again, that was very interesting to listen to.

I've had a bit of experience of being involved in managing responses to institutional failure in my time. Setting aside the issue of good faith, I've always likened it to a game of tennis, where the aim is to win the rally by maintaining pressure, putting the ball back on the other side of the net whenever possible and generally managing the other party as well as the situation.

Up until now I think you seem to have done a good job of this, and the cynic in me wonders whether the club statement is calculated to give you a taste of your own medicine. It is clear that is creating a genuine dilemma for people who have worked very hard to get you to where you are.

How you manage that conflict between emotion and reason is obviously something only you can decide upon.  However, I would think long and hard before I relaxed any of the measures you have taken, for the following reasons :

• as Matt said, there is a trust issue here. The owner may have issued  a very welcome statement of intent - but at the moment, that is all it is. Judging him on his attempts to dispose of the club is going to be sensitive stuff, and may take months, but whether or not he opens lines of communication with you about it will tell you a fair bit. On the on-field issues, you will know a lot more in a fortnight about whether they are really making a effort to change the paradigm
  • the second issue is one of communication with the fan base. At the moment, if you set aside the people who have drifted away, you have two broad camps, namely the people who still attend, and those who don't. if you go for a conditional moratorium on the boycott, there is a risk you will end up with three groups, comprised of those who go, those who continue to boycott and those who go with misgivings about whether they are doing the right thing. Is that a forward step?
  • the third issue is one of leverage. What you have been doing seems to be working. It is influencing behaviour inside the club to a marked degree. Diluting that leverage would be a big step to take

There isn't a right or wrong answer, and as someone who has no emotional investment in the problem I'd never dream of suggesting there is. But it seems to me that the owner statement - while welcome in many ways - is also a bit of a distraction. The fundamental, underlying problem here is that you have a club that is continually taking very poor footballing decisions which are then compounded by the chaotic way in which it mismanages the off-pitch aspects of the business.

That is not going to change overnight, and I think there is a real risk that if you go for a moratorium now you may end up with the worst of all worlds ; National League football, the same owners making the same mistakes, and a campaign for change that loses a lot of its momentum.  I would hope by 1 February some aspects of the problem may be a bit clearer - it is for you to judge whether you feel you can wait until then to decide on your next steps.

I agree with every word of this. Among your many fair and balanced observations about our plight this is one of the best.

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Season ticket sales for next season are another matter entirely, and until there is progress on the sale of the club I wouldn't expect there to be any let up in a boycott when it comes to those.

Picket lines outside the ticket office and DDoS on the online ticketing site.

1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

I agree with every word of this. Among your many fair and balanced observations about our plight this is one of the best.

Cheers, it's good of you to say so. 

I really felt for the four main protagonists today, you could tell how difficult this is for all of them,.

• Matt featured this topic
1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

Picket lines outside the ticket office and DDoS on the online ticketing site.

25 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Natch. I wouldn't be the one cutting the phone lines either :chubb:

Like it. I was thinking something along the lines of a wagging finger gif on twitter but this could work. 

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived