MATCH: vs Sutton United (H) 22/03/22

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Bahamboula gets deserved criticism for his poor play but he wasn’t the worst on the pitch yesterday. In my opinion he contributed more to the game last night than DKD and Obadeyi combined. 
During his time at Boundary Park, we have caught glimpses of what he can do but sadly theses moments are few and far between. 

Destined to join the ranks of the many ‘he just didn’t live up to the hype’ players we have had over the years. 😮

Absolutely correct. He made quite a few decent runs and incisive passes. If he hasn’t played last night it would have looked even more dire. At least 4 or 5 were worse. Stobbs was another level of inept. I guess running around like a headless chicken (Hope) or sprinting back and forward because you are constantly out of position (Stobbs) gives the illusion of ‘effort’. 

25 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

It worked it couldn't be sustained, it's given us a glimmer of hope because let's face it we were down the day he was appointed and 8 points adrift, we've got the biggest games in the clubs history coming up in the next few weeks to try and preserve our football league status, your constant trolling and baiting of people over Shez is a tad sad given he has inherited by far the worst set of circumstances and squad in the clubs history but it is typical of you to go against the grain and revel in the clubs demise because that is what you do, if we go down you'll be the first on here to tell everyone I told you so for sure, fancy waking up in the morning though and coming out with that shite you posted an hour ago, what a life you must have.. see you at Stevenage then.

2 points out of 21 and killing off the protest movement looks pretty disastrous to me Yardo.

I won't dignify the rest of your unhinged rant with a response.

11 hours ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

It’s the same bollox you’re talking week in week out. Have a day off it’s boring as fuck. 

At least I know the game inside out having worked at top level and can observe what's happening on the pitch.

You offer nothing but moaning.

You didn't even notice I made the Sutton up front remark after he scored and the reference meant he could tried there for the remainder of the game.

I did not suggest permanently.

Please think before you reply to posts.

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

At least I know the game inside out having worked at top level and can observe what's happening on the pitch.

You offer nothing but jealousy.

BP, you’re  making a fool of yourself on a daily basis with your dated views. You haven’t  got a clue and are extremely boring. Get a life outside of a football forum. Wet lettuce. 

15 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

You offer nothing but moaning.

You didn't even notice I made the Sutton up front remark after he scored and the reference meant he could tried there for the remainder of the game.

I did not suggest permanently.

Please think before you reply to posts.

Sounds like you are dismissing everyone who hasn’t “worked at top level” or who “knows the game inside out”.

We all know of your experience ( can’t think who tells us) . Sometimes experience is another way of saying “things that happened a while ago but perhaps don’t have total relevance today”. That’s not a personal criticism and if some posters are robust in challenging you, then that’s a price for airing your views. 

Sometimes less is more. 

48 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

2 points out of 21 and killing off the protest movement looks pretty disastrous to me Yardo.

I actually see your point to a certain extent about killing off the protest movement, although I think they've slowed them down rather than killed them and the protests will get even stronger at the end of the season if the Lemsagam's are still here (as it looks like they will be).

As for 2 points from 21...as you so strongly believe that Sheridan is such a disastrous appointment, who do you honestly think would do better in the circumstances post-Harrogate?  Or did you want to see the club keep Selim and watch us crash and burn in order for the protests to continue ramping up?

7 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I actually see your point to a certain extent about killing off the protest movement, although I think they've slowed them down rather than killed them and the protests will get even stronger at the end of the season if the Lemsagam's are still here (as it looks like they will be).

As for 2 points from 21...as you so strongly believe that Sheridan is such a disastrous appointment, who do you honestly think would do better in the circumstances post-Harrogate?  Or did you want to see the club keep Selim and watch us crash and burn in order for the protests to continue ramping up?

I've said before I think there'll be a real credibility issue with resuming protests in terms of gathering wider interest, if that isn't seen as an issue then obviously that won't matter.

With Sheridan I think the modern player quickly susses out coaches/managers who have little to offer on the training ground/touchline, Selim was never likely to be the right fit but my instinct would always be to go young and progressive.

Last night was dire. I love a juicy post-match reply but I have nothing positive to say about the performance. The only thing I will say is fair play to the Athleticos for keeping some form of atmosphere going and rocking the RRE.

Nothing I can comment which others haven't already said. Our games in hand are now gone, our next fixture is a team pushing for the playoffs and our final fixtures post-Stevenage are against teams either doing the same or looking for automatic promotion. "Brace, brace!"

After Hope hitting the bar and Couto's "unfortunate" clearance, you've got to think if we didn't have bad luck then we'd have no luck at all.

45 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I've said before I think there'll be a real credibility issue with resuming protests in terms of gathering wider interest, if that isn't seen as an issue then obviously that won't matter.

With Sheridan I think the modern player quickly susses out coaches/managers who have little to offer on the training ground/touchline, Selim was never likely to be the right fit but my instinct would always be to go young and progressive.

Yeah I understand that about potential credibility issues, although I think that the general view from the wider footballing world will be that our fans have got behind the club for one last big desperate push to keep us in the EFL and that it's a temporary reprieve for the greater good, while not forgetting who and what got us into this mess.  I suppose we'll have to wait and see how it pans out.

It's impossible to know exactly what goes on in the dressing room (unless you plant a mole in there of course), but I think results are down to personell available rather than morale.  Sheridan identified that we needed a big physical presence up front and for the four games that we had one (be it Fondop or Luamba) we did well. 

We got by for one game against a badly unsettled Bradford team, but since then not having a player to hold the ball up has lead to the ball constantly coming back and knackering the team out (hence the late defeats against Carlisle and Swindon and inability to properly fight back against Walsall).  In the last two games our back line has been decimated and Shez has been forced to play a lightweight midfield.

As a manager, Shez will never be blameless and his trust in Stobbs (despite yesterday's assist) baffles me.  But even forgetting the off-field shitshow I don't think that Shez is the reason for why we've lost the last 5 games.

The players aren't good enough that's the bottom line.

Shez gave them a shot in the arm to give us a chance but it's down to the players on the pitch to effect the game and sadly they haven't taken the big chances that have come our way.  Good chances missed, pens missed - we can't afford that. There was a moment yesterday where Hunt went on a run through the centre of midfielder and needed an outlet - the 3 or 4 players in front all ran away from him and he lost possession. 

The lack of a proper forward line has killed our momentum, now injuries and suspensions bite and the squad overall is just poor quality. Dire recruitment has gotten us where we are. Thanks Mo.

For 20 minutes I didn't think there was anything in the game last night in fact I thought we might get something. Hope was involved. Hunt was passing the ball well and we had some bright moments. The first goal goes in and from that moment we didn't look like scoring never mind winning the game. I don't think I've ever celebrated a goal less thier keeper must have been gutted as he only had 1 save to make. 

Back to it being hard to see where the next win is coming from. It's not over there is a chance but it's a huge ask and it's asking a lot of Llumaba  as a kid to come back from injury and lead the line. 

I can only assume Stobb's pace gets him a go in the side. 2 decent crosses and a shot on target last night. That's a good performance by his standards but he's not alone. Whelan is awful how he's a first choice midfielder I don't know. The 2nd time this season he's been done when we have a corner and the other team go and score. Bam has been found out a little although possibly suffering from not having a forward to play off or into. 

We have the squad we have. I can see people asking for defenders to go up top (and I get it) the current strike line aren't creating anything i'd try it for 3 games but Sheridan won't and I get that to. 

Hopefully Abdallah leaves in the summer and we can rebuild as united club but that's possibly too much hope. 

I said to my mate after the match I don't think I can be bothered sitting through another performance derived of any quality fight or aggression. 

2 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

Sounds like you are dismissing everyone who hasn’t “worked at top level” or who “knows the game inside out”.

We all know of your experience ( can’t think who tells us) . Sometimes experience is another way of saying “things that happened a while ago but perhaps don’t have total relevance today”. That’s not a personal criticism and if some posters are robust in challenging you, then that’s a price for airing your views. 

Sometimes less is more. 

I give my opinion and the failings I pointed  out early season are still there. Lightweight team, no long term centre forward, lack of closing down of crosses, opposition central  midfielders given oceans of room, poor distribution. 

Last night we saw all of those with the usual result, so unless the attitude of the players changes or some positional adjustments (Shez indicated they aren't listening) unfortunately its going to be much of the same.

18 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

The "performance" served up last night...

Thought most played to the level of their ability, which sums it up really.

I wonder if anyone else noticed a spark added when Harry Vaughan came on, he played some incisive passes which weren't  latched onto.

I'd start him and play with only 1 defensive midfielder, Hunt, who can at least pass a ball.

Bahamboula on the wing where he is most effective.

Anyone with some aggression but Hope up front.

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

Against Mansfield, we're going to hit woodwork, have goals disallowed, play out of our skin and lose 1-0.  Probably in the last minute.

You heard it here first..

Bloody optimists... 😀 

Players aren't good enough it really is that simple, suspensions and injuries just compound that, two or three of that eleven wouldn't be certain starters for Curzon at the weekend if they were there, we had an opportunity in the transfer window and blew that as well. Corney (as much as I disliked him) would pull a rabbit out of the hat and bring in the players required but these idiots have failed us miserably from day one, it's looking bleak but it's not over till the fat lady sings so they say.

On 3/23/2022 at 5:25 PM, JoeP said:

Against Mansfield, we're going to hit woodwork, have goals disallowed, play out of our skin and lose 1-0.  Probably in the last minute.

You heard it here first..

Not far off..

5 hours ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Did we hit woodwork ? I don’t recall. We didn’t have a goal disallowed did we ? And we certainly didn’t play out of our skin. Granted we lost by the odd goal in injury time, but we always do 🥴

Not sure if the keeper pushed Sutton's header on to the crossbar?

Archived