Andy Gorton

Just now, gervaise2 said:

Just had to check who was in goal when we were 3-0 down to Spurs after 8 minutes, in the early 90s - Paul Gerrard.

Yeah he had the odd error in him too, the two worst players on the pitch when we beat Liverpool 3-2 were Paul Gerrard and David James.

Gerrard was virtually in midfield for an Ian Rush goal and James should have been investigated for match fixing.

Gerrards overall performance for us means he's no where that list though 

2 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

We've had that many I knew I'd forget someone obvious!

Lawrie Walker should be very near the top of that list.  And the left hand side of De La Paz, given he could only dive right.

To be honest, it would be quicker to say who out of the last ten years wouldn't be on it - Ripley, Iversen, Coleman, Bouzanis, Placide and Rachubka (both at a push).

5 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

John Keeley

Paddy Kenney

David Cornell

Alan Blayney

Jan Butz

Jack Ruddy

Ben Wilson

Could all lay claim to that title 

Maurice Short needs to be added to the list.

I wonder if Harry Dowd holds a unique record for a goalkeeper. Promoted from the fourth, third and second divisions and went on to win FA Cup and League champions medals, the latter awarded posthumously.

I think Andy Gorton was probably the best natural goalkeeper I had seen for Latics, the fact that he replaced Andy Goram and Latics didn't really miss him speaks volumes for me. 

I was at Swindon once when Latics got absolutely twatted and if it hadn't been for Gorton, we could have lost by double figures we were that much indebted to him. 

I recall Hallworth at Leeds on New Years Day once (1-1) and John Platt at Sheffield United (lost 0-1 last minute) having similar games to Gorton that day at Swindon. 

Sadly Gorton had his demons and lost his way, a few years later he resurfaced at Bury Fc and was playing great week in week out in their reserves. He got his chance in the first team as their regular keeper got injured or suspended, Gorton failed to turn up and his professional football career was over. Such a shame, a great keeper in his time at Latics     

He was at Glossop in the NWCFL for a while. My memory plays tricks on me and I can't recall if I saw him play there or not. They had a Chris Moore type owner who briefly spent loads of money, bringing in players too good for that level, and then left them in the lurch having quietly lost or sold the ground in the background.

4 hours ago, Luis Enrique said:

He was at Glossop in the NWCFL for a while. My memory plays tricks on me and I can't recall if I saw him play there or not. They had a Chris Moore type owner who briefly spent loads of money, bringing in players too good for that level, and then left them in the lurch having quietly lost or sold the ground in the background.

Yeah he was at Glossop before Royle got him back briefly.Didn’t réalise they’d had some dodgy owners aswell!

Regarding Brill it always astounded me how often he was in the correct position to make the save yet the ball always ended in his net!Literally went through his legs,under his body or his chocolate wrists failed him.

The amazing thing about Brill was how many games he played for us despite being so bad.

The likes of Budtz, Keeley and Ruddy only played a handful of games, but Brill got 58 appearances.  

Dickov seemed to have a massive blindspot when it came to him.

3 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

The amazing thing about Brill was how many games he played for us despite being so bad.

The likes of Budtz, Keeley and Ruddy only played a handful of games, but Brill got 58 appearances.  

Dickov seemed to have a massive blindspot when it came to him.

Dean Brill was a Dave Penney signing but yes what Dickov saw in him after that first season Christ knows 

Archived