Playing Squad - Summer 22

1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

Hogan, P Clarke, Rooney, Sheron, Reid to pick just five, have been at best poor so far if you take the season as a whole. Yarney, Sutton, Cuoto, Shelton, Nuttall, Abraham have played a handful of games between them. Norman, Tollit, Fondop and Kitching have done ok. I don't think you can put all the blame on the manager.

Reid’s been OK, and Rooney has been good of late….we just ain’t seen them in their correct positions enough…you can’t honestly say P Clarke has been poor!

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/2/2023 at 8:49 AM, Hemel latic said:

I try to be measured in my assessments of our players and perhaps I have been a little harsh on Yarney, that might perhaps have been influenced by the rave reviews he received in the two previous games.

Effiong scored and won a penalty that he failed to convert, both of which came in Yarney's right centre channel. Even though some that watched on the stream thought it may not have been a penalty, it was won on the back of Effiong's almost complete dominance over Yarney, both on the deck and in the air. The needless yellow that Varney earned for pushing Effiong was evidence of his frustration at struggling with a superior opponent. 

It has to be considered a bad day at the office.

I can accept he might be a useful squad player, is he a better right back? He might even develop it into a first choice player. I'm just advising caution on the basis of what I saw at the weekend, more evidence required.

A big, commanding centre half would definitely be on my wish list in respect of those 6/7 players we might sign to finish off the squad for 23/24, I don't think that player is Yarney on the basis of what I have seen so far.

On Tuesday night Yarney's almost complete dominance over Effiong, both on the deck and in the air. The needless yellow that Effiong's earned for pushing Yarney was evidence of his frustration at struggling with a superior opponent. Yarney might be a key player next season.

5 hours ago, penrhyn said:

On Tuesday night Yarney's almost complete dominance over Effiong, both on the deck and in the air. The needless yellow that Effiong's earned for pushing Yarney was evidence of his frustration at struggling with a superior opponent. Yarney might be a key player next season.

As the tv show used to say, I just said what I saw. However, I do believe Effiong came on as a sub on Tuesday night, playing with team mates he hadn't  even trained with so I might reserve judgement on Reg a little longer. I'll be as pleased as everyone else if he is indeed the second coming of Andy Holden but the jury remains out for me.

5 hours ago, penrhyn said:

Effiong had just joined D&R and didn’t come on until the 63rd minute.

He was the standout player down at Aldershot and I feared the worst when he came on - so credit to Yarney for keeping him quiet.

There have been four strikers who have been a handful in the games I’ve seen this season:

Ndlovu at Borehamwood 

Offiong at Aldershot

Dieseruvwe home to Halifax

- three very similar type of players.

The fourth was Paul Mullin - nuff said there 😮

16 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

He was the standout player down at Aldershot and I feared the worst when he came on - so credit to Yarney for keeping him quiet.

There have been four strikers who have been a handful in the games I’ve seen this season:

Ndlovu at Borehamwood 

Offiong at Aldershot

I'm with you there BD, Ndlovu was also a proper handful, without him we would have won that game. And that's what you want from a CF, match winning/saving contributions. 

9 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Reid’s been OK, and Rooney has been good of late….we just ain’t seen them in their correct positions enough…you can’t honestly say P Clarke has been poor!

P Clarke + Hogan makes the team poorer as they're too slow. The back line has to drop, midfield then also and the forwards are isolated and the lumping up field carries on.

Clarke isn't the player he was, weaker and physically less able. We really don't need him, good back up.

A quick un and a slow vet all season for me. Sutton/Yarney with Hogan/Clarke.

36 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

I'm with you there BD, Ndlovu was also a proper handful, without him we would have won that game. And that's what you want from a CF, match winning/saving contributions. 

Fondop at Dorking included?

Anyone else think Hogan looks like a pub player since he signed for us, his games littered with errors and when the oppo scores he's invariably involved, I know you can't quantify his leadership qualities but he's not the player I remember for Stockport, whether the injuries set him back I don't know but he wasn't great before the Southend game.

It was noticable on Tuesday from wherein was sat that it's him pulling everyone back in at every opportunity, particularly Sutton and Shelton before he went off, it's probably under instruction but for me it's just negative and constrains players.

3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Ndlovu at Borehamwood 

Offiong at Aldershot

Said at the time we should have signed that Browne from Wealdstone. Looked a right player, signed for Woking and still scoring for fun, but his all round play tore us a new one at BP. 

30 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Anyone else think Hogan looks like a pub player since he signed for us, his games littered with errors and when the oppo scores he's invariably involved, I know you can't quantify his leadership qualities but he's not the player I remember for Stockport, whether the injuries set him back I don't know but he wasn't great before the Southend game.

It was noticable on Tuesday from wherein was sat that it's him pulling everyone back in at every opportunity, particularly Sutton and Shelton before he went off, it's probably under instruction but for me it's just negative and constrains players.

Hogan is an absolute liability, and needs dropping. What was he even doing on Tuesday running into the back of our midfielders to head the ball ? Leaving a massive hole behind him. Understand he wants to attack the ball, but it was landing on Sheron head half the time and left us exposed. 
He must have been at fault for a goal a game almost, needs dropping. 

4 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Ndlovu at Borehamwood 

Offiong at Aldershot

And the attacking midfielder Rob Apter of Scunthorpe.

Back at Blackpool now, but not catching the first team.

5 hours ago, BP1960 said:

And the attacking midfielder Rob Apter of Scunthorpe.

Back at Blackpool now, but not catching the first team.

With Rooney starting to find his stride I wouldn't be looking at the likes of Apter, desperate for wide men, although I thought Tollitt was very effective Tursday when he was allowed to play in a free role second half, he had his best game for a while and carried the ball well.

20 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Said at the time we should have signed that Browne from Wealdstone. Looked a right player, signed for Woking and still scoring for fun, but his all round play tore us a new one at BP. 

Was he the bald headed number 10? Best player I’ve seen this season.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

How many of this massive squad would you consider 'battlers'? not many I expect.

This is the crux of the matter IMO, besides low quality too many faint hearts recruited.

Still waiting for you, with all your years of wisdom, to explain what more you think Nuttal can do woth the appalling service he gets, other than "run round more"

He’s getting poor service no doubt but he’s definitely not working hard enough, he’s strolling around whilst Reid is grafting his bollocks off.

I must admit, spending that sort of money on a striker and  then not playing to his strengths is baffling. However Unsworth already has form for doing exactly that with other players he’s brought in!

We really need a proper manager with a proper formation and proper tactics. I fear it will be much the same at Chesterfield and if it is I think the frustration of the fans will definitely spill over…it could be quite a toxic atmosphere on Saturday!!

7 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

He’s getting poor service no doubt but he’s definitely not working hard enough, he’s strolling around whilst Reid is grafting his bollocks off.

I must admit, spending that sort of money on a striker and  then not playing to his strengths is baffling. However Unsworth already has form for doing exactly that with other players he’s brought in!

We really need a proper manager with a proper formation and proper tactics. I fear it will be much the same at Chesterfield and if it is I think the frustration of the fans will definitely spill over…it could be quite a toxic atmosphere on Saturday!!

His game isn't running round a lot. No point anyway when midfield don't press as well. 

Depressing football

1 minute ago, TheBigDog said:

Leutwiler, J. Clarke, McGahey, Maynard, Francis-Angol, Windass (out on loan), Stobbs, Burgess, Porter, Hope, Luamba, Da Silva How many of this lot will be with us come August?

I'm still sticking my neck out and saying..none. :D 

6 hours ago, Hemel latic said:

Suzanne Geldard reporting that Dan Gardner should be available in a fortnight, Hallam Hope might be available around the same time.

Hopefully both turning out for Mossley, or someone else not us.

Archived