Playing Squad - Summer 22

2 hours ago, Hemel latic said:

Effiong absolutely schooled Varney on Saturday, I would have been surprised if he got quite as much change out of Clarke. I like to be positive about our playing staff but also think we need to guard against over rating new players on the basis of a novelty factor. Varney is 25yo, not played much above this level, less than 100 games at this level, let's not get carried away.

I expect Peter Clarke to return on Saturday. 

I don't think anyone is getting carried away, Yarney deserved his 2nd chance at CB after the York game, Clarke got himself stupidly sent off, no way he was straight back in after his suspension. 

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, disjointed said:

I don't think anyone is getting carried away, Yarney deserved his 2nd chance at CB after the York game, Clarke got himself stupidly sent off, no way he was straight back in after his suspension. 

I think people saying he has to be one of our first choice centre backs next season after two games for us, whilst trying to earn a contract, is getting carried away...

I try to be measured in my assessments of our players and perhaps I have been a little harsh on Yarney, that might perhaps have been influenced by the rave reviews he received in the two previous games.

Effiong scored and won a penalty that he failed to convert, both of which came in Yarney's right centre channel. Even though some that watched on the stream thought it may not have been a penalty, it was won on the back of Effiong's almost complete dominance over Yarney, both on the deck and in the air. The needless yellow that Varney earned for pushing Effiong was evidence of his frustration at struggling with a superior opponent. 

It has to be considered a bad day at the office.

I can accept he might be a useful squad player, is he a better right back? He might even develop it into a first choice player. I'm just advising caution on the basis of what I saw at the weekend, more evidence required.

A big, commanding centre half would definitely be on my wish list in respect of those 6/7 players we might sign to finish off the squad for 23/24, I don't think that player is Yarney on the basis of what I have seen so far.

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

That’s a bit unfair…he’s a real handful and would give any defender in this division and probably the one above a torrid time!

He'd definitely have given someone 3 years past his sell by date physically a going over. The talking up of Clarke is lovely as he's a hero but he's way past it. You can't cheat time.

47 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I think people saying he has to be one of our first choice centre backs next season after two games for us, whilst trying to earn a contract, is getting carried away...

Has anyone actually said he

‘has to be one of first two centre back next season’ I think the only one getting carried away-  is your good self. 

He’s played well, looks a better option  than J Clarke and can play two positions, and has good experience of the league. Would I be happy to give him a deal after his trial and his initial games, yes as he would be a useful addition. Players have been signed on a lot less proof, or even worse as a bigger gamble- let’s give very injury prone 57 year old Chris Porter a deal. Let’s not. 

21 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Not throughout lower level non league. Lots available for mid week games if they explore that option.

Considering the B team consists mainly of "players" I never want to see anywhere near the first team ever again, I am not too fussed about them getting games 

8 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Considering the B team consists mainly of "players" I never want to see anywhere near the first team ever again, I am not too fussed about them getting games 

Yeah, the B team is weird isn’t it. 

It’s not like we’ve got two quality 11’s and you need to keep them fit. We have a good 15/16 and about twenty you’d release t'mora if you could. 

2 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Not sure I'd class all of those as 'good' tbh. We're still in a relegation battle ffs.

They are the best of what we had and the new signings- who are all on long contracts.

They are good players, (their pedigree and/or achievements speak for themselves) and they are largely blameless for being in a relegation battle. We all know why we’re struggling, and it’s not a lack of quality. 

Otherwise - how on earth are Woking 3rd. . . ? 

Hogan, P Clarke, Rooney, Sheron, Reid to pick just five, have been at best poor so far if you take the season as a whole. Yarney, Sutton, Cuoto, Shelton, Nuttall, Abraham have played a handful of games between them. Norman, Tollit, Fondop and Kitching have done ok. I don't think you can put all the blame on the manager.

Archived