Ben Tollitt signs

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Every time we make a signing wondering-Why?

I don't believe it's every time we make a signing. In this particular case people have commented because of what we saw of him in the game against Mansfield not having seen him play before. Would it suit you better if we just said well he didn't look very impressive when I saw him but he'll be brilliant? 

Now I may be paraphrasing here but most who commented did say something like - well he didn't look great but Shez must have seen something in him in training. I think that is not an unreasonable thing to say considering this is a forum for discussion which is not limited only to praise and fawning which you appear to want to see. 

5 minutes ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

I don't believe it's every time we make a signing. In this particular case people have commented because of what we saw of him in the game against Mansfield not having seen him play before. Would it suit you better if we just said well he didn't look very impressive when I saw him but he'll be brilliant? 

Now I may be paraphrasing here but most who commented did say something like - well he didn't look great but Shez must have seen something in him in training. I think that is not an unreasonable thing to say considering this is a forum for discussion which is not limited only to praise and fawning which you appear to want to see. 

Spot on. 

6 hours ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

The point is that there is nothing to praise or fawn over. You say in Shez we trust-I think he hasn't a clue.

1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

The point is that there is nothing to praise or fawn over. You say in Shez we trust-I think he hasn't a clue.

We're clearly at cross purposes here. So you are saying you think the signings Shez is making are poor and that is what's "beginning to wear a bit thin" for you? If that's a yes I thought you meant people's comments casting doubt on the quality of the signings was beginning to wear a bit thin. 

Glad we cleared that up 😂

2 minutes ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

We're clearly at cross purposes here. So you are saying you think the signings Shez is making are poor and that is what's "beginning to wear a bit thin" for you? If that is the case I thought you meant people's comments casting doubt on the quality of the signings was beginning to wear a bit thin 😂

Proof will be in the pudding, either they click and are productive or he dies on his sword, suspect just survival isn't an option this season.

1 hour ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

I agree totally. I think some look solid signings such as Hogan and Sheron for example but others less so...........

Quite. 

And when Shez says the aim is promotion, I look at that squad and nothing about it says promotion. It says mid table mediocrity.

Now, we can all say- wait and see. But how many cobbled together sides, of average or ageing ability suddenly find the magic formula together? Hardly none. It would be a big leap of faith to suggest otherwise. 

Top half- possibly. 

But will that be enough when Shez says promotion is the aim. 

With new owners, I’m not sure it will be. 

9 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Quite. 

And when Shez says the aim is promotion, I look at that squad and nothing about it says promotion. It says mid table mediocrity.

Now, we can all say- wait and see. But how many cobbled together sides, of average or ageing ability suddenly find the magic formula together? Hardly none. It would be a big leap of faith to suggest otherwise. 

Top half- possibly. 

But will that be enough when Shez says promotion is the aim. 

With new owners, I’m not sure it will be. 

But then again nobody is going to say to the press mid table will do.......................................

5 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

But then again nobody is going to say to the press mid table will do.......................................

I disagree.

For two reasons. 

Shez above any manager has enough credit in the bank to be more honest- and most fans would accept it. 

Secondly, it’s how you frame it. 

No manager would say it like you have suggested- but he could have said. 

This season will be a challenge, we’ll lose a lot income with relegation and it’s important the club is put on an equal footing. So I’ve got to try and get the best of the players to finish as high as we can. 

Shez is well known for being honest and straight, so he’s either lying to boost the players, or he genuinely thinks the squad is capable of promotion. . . he’s set himself up for a needless fall IMO. 

Just now, deyres42 said:

I hoped Sheri's inadequacies would be covered by the quality of signings, that hope is fading by the day.

Agreed Eyrsey. 

Shez is a ledge, but I can’t help the feeling he’s on the slide as a manager. (His last few jobs haven’t been good) Then when you look at the squad and his grandiose claims of promotion and it doesn’t look great. 

I’d absolutely love to be wrong. 

12 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Agreed Eyrsey. 

Shez is a ledge, but I can’t help the feeling he’s on the slide as a manager. (His last few jobs haven’t been good) Then when you look at the squad and his grandiose claims of promotion and it doesn’t look great. 

I’d absolutely love to be wrong. 

Of course, we all want him to succeed but the fact is he's been operating well below 40% win rate for a prolonged period of time, you wonder how long the goodwill towards him will last in this league.

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

Of course, we all want him to succeed but the fact is he's been operating well below 40% win rate for a prolonged period of time, you wonder how long the goodwill towards him will last in this league.

Yeah, with hopefully no off the field issues to worry about. Attention will be solely on the football-and results. . 

I think those who suggested he stuck around to give some sort of continuity to the playing side during the takeover probably have it right. He’ll probably happily hand over to younger blood mid season if it’s not going well. 

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

I disagree.

For two reasons. 

Shez above any manager has enough credit in the bank to be more honest- and most fans would accept it. 

Secondly, it’s how you frame it. 

No manager would say it like you have suggested- but he could have said. 

This season will be a challenge, we’ll lose a lot income with relegation and it’s important the club is put on an equal footing. So I’ve got to try and get the best of the players to finish as high as we can. 

Shez is well known for being honest and straight, so he’s either lying to boost the players, or he genuinely thinks the squad is capable of promotion. . . he’s set himself up for a needless fall IMO. 

He stayed to try and get us back up, I’m staying to finish mid table doesn’t have the same ring. His intention is promotion and promotion only. Leave on a high with his reputation intact! Hopefully he can pull it off. I wouldn’t bet against it.

For me, John Sheridan gets the "maximum leeway" possible, simply because of the miracles he has performed for us in the past; as a player and as a manager. I really don't get the criticism of him from certain quarters. Once all remaining odour of the previous regime has wafted away; you just watch Shez operate again!

Archived