Southend Away

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After last nights debacle and yet again having no threat from centre midfield, (Delia Smith on the sauce springs to mind), my team for Saturday would be 4-4-2; Norman,

Clarke, Hogan, Sheron, Francis-Angol.

Couto, Vaughan, Gardner, Tollitt.

Fondop, Porter.

Subs; Leutwiler, Mcgahey, Cooper, Luamba. Burgess.

Tea boy; Hope.

Making pies in Baxendale, Stobbs.

Southend haven't had the best of starts and Latics obviously need to capitalise on this by taking the game to them, which will require a much improved performance across the whole team, including management. Unfortunately, I can only see more of the same as Sheridan seems to be stuck in a rut when it comes to to team selections and tactics. 

Lose this, and it's now looking a possibility, then I think the groundswell for a manager change will start making itself apparent to the new owners.

41 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Southend haven't had the best of starts and Latics obviously need to capitalise on this by taking the game to them, which will require a much improved performance across the whole team, including management. Unfortunately, I can only see more of the same as Sheridan seems to be stuck in a rut when it comes to to team selections and tactics. 

Lose this, and it's now looking a possibility, then I think the groundswell for a manager change will start making itself apparent to the new owners.

Unfortunately if we couldn't take the game to two pub teams at home in front of large by our standards crowds then there's not a hope in hells chance we will be going to Roots Hall for anything other than a 0-0 draw.

Major issue I have is on last night Clarke doesn't deserve to play but who replaces him? Same for Stobbs there is no obvious replacement and the recruitment now is looking piss poor other than a couple who have done okay. Some of last years retained players have regressed under Shez which is a major worry.

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Unfortunately if we couldn't take the game to two pub teams at home in front of large by our standards crowds then there's not a hope in hells chance we will be going to Roots Hall for anything other than a 0-0 draw.

Major issue I have is on last night Clarke doesn't deserve to play but who replaces him? Same for Stobbs there is no obvious replacement and the recruitment now is looking piss poor other than a couple who have done okay. Some of last years retained players have regressed under Shez which is a major worry.

How can those who don't get game like Windass or Maynard become match fit? We aren't in a reserve league anymore.

9 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

One of fourteen ex league teams in that pond and with minimal history.  Can't see they have much claim to be big

Many year's of history and a ground capacity similar to ours

I don't see any open terraces with hand rails close to the touchline and a few hundred on, they must be bigger than what you're suggesting 

18 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Many year's of history and a ground capacity similar to ours

I don't see any open terraces with hand rails close to the touchline and a few hundred on, they must be bigger than what you're suggesting 

i don't honestly know - would any of the 14 ex-league clubs have grounds that meet that description?  

3 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

There's only 5 club's there, out of the 14 that I'd see as those that meet your criteria 

Notts county

Scunny

Southend

us

Chesterfield

The rest? Small fish

I'd add Wrexham.  Just surprised that their gates are more or less as they were in L1 six years ago

I'm going off recent times and wrexham haven't been a league club since 2010

Only on the map now, thanks to a pair of celebrity yanks and the money they've been throwing around, they'd best be going up this season or it could all go tits up.

My team would be:

Norman

Clarke

McGahey

Hogan

Francis-Angol

Sheron

Gardner

Hope

Burgess

Tollitt

Fondop

I think the alternative to Clarke is Windass, which I'm not convinced would be an upgrade yet.  Sheron to add a bit of steel in midfield, so bringing in McGahey alongside Hogan would work.  I think this formation would allow Vaughan would fit into starting XI at some point (I wouldn't put him in the centre of a midfield 2) but I think Burgess would be really good in that role at present.  Finally, Fondop would be the best striker we currently have to play as the lone forward.

Archived