The floodlights

My first night match for a while, and the lights are really poor. Worse even than last season.

Not only are many of the individual lamps not functioning on the 4 pylons, some of the lights on the Joe Royle stand are also out now. 

it's almost like watching a game at dusk with no lights on at all.

In particular the Chaddy road penalty area is really dismal.

The crowds at BP this season have been really loud and bright, the floodlights need to match them.

I thought that the mystery stoppage last night was because the referee couldn't see what was going on .

It 100% was stopped because of the lights. There are 2 lights out in the JRS closest to the chaddy end, and so the lights that were working in that area were extra bright, presumably to offset the lights not working. An aldershot player complained they were too bright, and the linesman also felt the same. They were dimmed to the same level as the others and then the game recommenced.

Agree about the 4 pylons, needs fixing as it’s too dark at times. 

21 minutes ago, daniel said:

It 100% was stopped because of the lights. There are 2 lights out in the JRS closest to the chaddy end, and so the lights that were working in that area were extra bright, presumably to offset the lights not working. An aldershot player complained they were too bright, and the linesman also felt the same. They were dimmed to the same level as the others and then the game recommenced.

Agree about the 4 pylons, needs fixing as it’s too dark at times. 

Corney complained at the cost of each bulb for the pylons. I can't remember how much he said but it was shed loads. 

Tbh, it's the opposite I'm JRS I'm blinded by lights in the main stand upper. Never mind the LED boards too

With energy prices on the up. I wonder if the Leagues might consider a switch more inline with daylight KO times

11 minutes ago, underdog said:

Tbh, it's the opposite I'm JRS I'm blinded by lights in the main stand upper. Never mind the LED boards too

With energy prices on the up. I wonder if the Leagues might consider a switch more inline with daylight KO times

I'm the opposite to you! From the main stand paddock the lights at the top of the JRS are blinding, and when the advertising boards are bright, I can hardly pick out our players in their dark blue shirts. However, I had left my distance glasses in the car!!

20 minutes ago, underdog said:

I think I remember seeing recently that teams below a certain level can choose a 1pm kick off or similar in winter for this reason

1 hour ago, losesome said:

Lights do need upgrading but they are definitely better than last season. Think we were given a warning from the efl that they need to improve.  Read somewhere recently it would cost £34000 per pylon to do ,not cheap.

So, the lights are too dull for the EFL but too bright for the National League!

I read somewhere that it would cost around £30k, but I thought that was for all the pylons. I know you can't just pop to B&Q, pick up a few bulbs and then shimmy up a ladder, but it does seem be a tad expensive!

I'm sure it's on Frank's snagging list.

51 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

I'm the opposite to you! From the main stand paddock the lights at the top of the JRS are blinding, and when the advertising boards are bright, I can hardly pick out our players in their dark blue shirts. However, I had left my distance glasses in the car!!

Haha....opposites eh. However I am totally blind without my glasses on. 

Thinking about it, it might be a blessing when we are playing crap

14 minutes ago, underdog said:

Haha....opposites eh. However I am totally blind without my glasses on. 

Thinking about it, it might be a blessing when we are playing crap

Maybe I should buy a flat cap, as the peak could act as a visor!!

3 hours ago, underdog said:

Not once season tickets have been sold. Not everyone can make different kick offs.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Mines demolishing those ultra bright hoardings.😆

Maybe the advertising hoardings could just be used in the breaks in play .  Like the 2 minutes that it takes for ever throw in to be completed.

And give them some hammer before kick off, during the half time break and after the game .

But I believe, that if we had some proper floodlights, the advertising hoardings wouldn't seem half as bright.

Regarding the cost, surely there are high tech LED bulbs that can be bought far cheaper than what is being used now.

1 minute ago, 100milesaway said:

Maybe the advertising hoardings could just be used in the breaks in play .  Like the 2 minutes that it takes for ever throw in to be completed.

And give them some hammer before kick off, during the half time break and after the game .

But I believe, that if we had some proper floodlights, the advertising hoardings wouldn't seem half as bright.

Regarding the cost, surely there are high tech LED bulbs that can be bought far cheaper than what is being used now.

The hoardings will probably be LED already but yes, the floodies could and should now be LED especially in light [pun] of the increase in energy prices, which are also going to impact highly on the club's running costs. 

5 hours ago, LaticMark said:

Same for me. The hoardings and lighting from the Jrs are awful at times.. 

16 hours ago, LaticMark said:

16 hours ago, underdog said:

didnt mean to quote the top one and can't work out how to remove it 😂

with regards the second one kick off times of 1300 on a tuesday wouldnt be very well attended and even then it would be raining/snowing so the lights would need to be on anyway.

Archived