Latics Youth updates

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, OldhamAthlete said:

According to the EFL Youth Alliance website we are down to play Blackpool at home on Saturday morning in the Youth Alliance league. Is this still on?

It's scheduled for AVRO's Vestacare Stadium.

19 hours ago, BP1960 said:

9 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Latics go out of the FA Youth Cup to AFC Blackpool of the North West Counties League, losing on penalties after 3-3 at full time.

Latics had a player sent off just before half time.

Ah well, they can concentrate on the league I suppose…

3 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

FFS what's your point Dave? Should we or shouldn't we beating them? 

Errrr, it was yu that started the toy throwing!  It's disappointing to lose to a team from a lower level but hardly unique - I'm just suggesting that perhaps you are overreacting

10 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Errrr, it was yu that started the toy throwing!  It's disappointing to lose to a team from a lower level but hardly unique - I'm just suggesting that perhaps you are overreacting

A defeat is understandable as we could have been playing many 15 and 16 year olds whereas they might have had many older, bigger, stronger lads in the team. We know not many come through to the professional ranks so individual development is more important at this stage IMO.

33 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Agreed but that's not the point Dave...we SHOULD be beating them. 

City should have beaten us in 2004

Everton should have beaten us in 2007

Liverpool should have beaten us in 2012

Fulham should have beaten us in 2017

Most teams we beat in the Premier League should have beaten us

It's what makes football great 

9 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

A defeat is understandable as we could have been playing many 15 and 16 year olds whereas they might have had many older, bigger, stronger lads in the team. We know not many come through to the professional ranks so individual development is more important at this stage IMO.

Exactly

13 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

City should have beaten us in 2004

Everton should have beaten us in 2007

Liverpool should have beaten us in 2012

Fulham should have beaten us in 2017

Most teams we beat in the Premier League should have beaten us

It's what makes football great 

yeah. 

this. a punch up. loadsa beers. cocaine. a kebab. a bird. another bird. a bong. 29 minutes kip. sunday keague. do it all againnnnnnn. see you tuesday boyz.*

*sattire.

Edited by Monty Burns
added the disclaimer in case any thick as fuck internet karen wanted to passive aggressively fail at vaulting up their high horse again
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, BP1960 said:

All valid comments. 

However I speak on this topic from a personal perspective.

My 16 year old plays for a National League academy club and they play their 3rd qualifying round next week against a lower ranked club.

It's the biggest game of their season to date, and the biggest competition they will play in until they turn pro. 

Both the boys and coaches will be devastated if they fail to make the first round proper and are so well prepared and drilled for it it's scary.

Perhaps that's the main issue throughout the club.

As Unsworth has quoted we don't have a winning mentality and we need improve this across all levels at the club. We accept defeat too easily and seem to make up excuses for not winning?

Individual development is important but it's greatly assisted by winning, and we need to understand why we are not winning games we should, and change it now. 

Hopefully the new structure will begin to address this.

Obviously circumstances over the past few years have hindered success, but I went to watch our U18s last season at QPR in the 3rd round I think, they were magnificent and and only narrowly lost.

Very sad that we don't even make the 3rd qualifying round this year that's all....

16 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

All valid comments. 

However I speak on this topic from a personal perspective.

My 16 year old plays for a National League academy club and they play their 3rd qualifying round next week against a lower ranked club.

It's the biggest game of their season to date, and the biggest competition they will play in until they turn pro. 

Both the boys and coaches will be devastated if they fail to make the first round proper and are so well prepared and drilled for it it's scary.

Perhaps that's the main issue throughout the club.

As Unsworth has quoted we don't have a winning mentality and we need improve this across all levels at the club. We accept defeat too easily and seem to make up excuses for not winning?

Individual development is important but it's greatly assisted by winning, and we need to understand why we are not winning games we should, and change it now. 

Hopefully the new structure will begin to address this.

Obviously circumstances over the past few years have hindered success, but I went to watch our U18s last season at QPR in the 3rd round I think, they were magnificent and and only narrowly lost.

Very sad that we don't even make the 3rd qualifying round this year that's all....

But how many of that team at QPR have made the breakthrough to the first team squad?

Simms the star of that game was unfortunately let go by the bungling Mo and  signed for Hull City.

Winning is fine, but if players are just running around without developing  skills they will struggle to make the grade.

More time needs to be spent on coaching technical ability as you see from practically any other European nation.

If they have the work ethic to go with this they could go a long way in the game IMO.

Edited by BP1960