Latics Youth updates

20 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Need the B team to be properly up and running in a competitive league now to provide the bridge from youth to first team

I suggested 1 league and 2 Cup competitions to the powers that be and no reply.

However, we will see what happens.

25 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

BP, with the greatest respect, the club won’t have time to respond to everything you put forward, be it players or anything else. Sound like Ibby on the phone in who thinks DR and Rhino should have him on speed dial! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

BP, with the greatest respect, the club won’t have time to respond to everything you put forward, be it players or anything else. Sound like Ibby on the phone in who thinks DR and Rhino should have him on speed dial! 

Rhino does have lbby on speed dial

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

2 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

The thing is… it only takes thirty seconds (*) to respond - surely they can do that? 

(*) exactly how long it took me to write this post 😉

34 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

The thing is… it only takes thirty seconds (*) to respond - surely they can do that? 

I'd be mighty surprised if the people running the club were blissfully unaware of the leagues that a B team might play in

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

I'll email them and suggest the players wear studded boots on grass and moulds on astro for next season. They best reply

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

I told DR the league and cups to apply for just after the takeover and others several times since.

These are the Central League North West, The Lancashire Senior Cup and the Manchester Senior Cup.

If the B side have no league to play in next season what is Jeffers doing here?

Edited by BP1960

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I told DR the league and cups to apply for just after the takeover and others several times since.

These are the Central League North West, The Lancashire Senior Cup and the Manchester Senior Cup.

You reckon the club didnt know they existed ffs?

• Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 9:51 PM, BP1960 said:

Ah, the old Pontins League. I used to enjoy those reserve games, but then our second string was better than any first team we've had for 25 years. 

Thursday nights, if I remember. Free entry for Seasons ticket holders. 

1 hour ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Ah, the old Pontins League. I used to enjoy those reserve games, but then our second string was better than any first team we've had for 25 years. 

Thursday nights, if I remember. Free entry for Seasons ticket holders. 

Yes remember watching micky fillery? The guy we signed from a London team, but was injured early doors. 

2 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

I dont think the new board are that inept. Think it's harsh to imply they are, don't you? 

I don't think for one minute that a reminder is implying that the board is inept. When my wife goes out I always remind her to take her phone, glasses and lipstick but I would never dare to suggest she is inept.

34 minutes ago, redlion said:

I don't think for one minute that a reminder is implying that the board is inept. When my wife goes out I always remind her to take her phone, glasses and lipstick but I would never dare to suggest she is inept.

Do you have to remind her to put her shoes on? Same thing

3 hours ago, Ogdenwoodwhittle said:

Yes remember watching micky fillery? The guy we signed from a London team, but was injured early doors. 

I remember watching him being bundled into a car, looking worse the wear, by a few non-playing Latics players at 2.30pm on a match day once.

10 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Do you have to remind her to put her shoes on? Same thing

Not quite but having seen the weather forecast I might advise her to wear wellies or if i'm feeling really bold I might say "those shoes don't quite match that dress dear".

• Like 1

Does anyone go and watch youth games?  From the brief highlights provided it does look like pretty pedestrian, low grade stuff - so unconvinced that a step up for anyone ripping it up there should necessarily be demanded.  I recall the last time there was a bit of an outcry that an apparently prolific striker didn't get a  professional deal; Brendy Glackin back in Corney days.  He made zero impact in the professional ranks and as far as I can tell appears to be with a club that plays in the third tier of Northern Irish football, his 7th club since leaving us.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

From the brief highlights provided it does look like pretty pedestrian, low grade stuff - so unconvinced that a step up for anyone ripping it up there should necessarily be demanded.  

Exactly my view as well. Jake Forshaw scores a few and the clamour goes out for him to be in the first team picture - I trust in Unsworth to judge the lad’s readiness, if and when. 👍

1 minute ago, TheBigDog said:

Exactly my view as well. Jake Forshaw scores a few and the clamour goes out for him to be in the first team picture - I trust in Unsworth to judge the lad’s readiness, if and when. 👍

I see the B Team getting competitive football as close to essential otherwise, apart from selling the odd kid at a very early stage, it makes the youth system all but pointless.  The renewed commitment to it must be a good thing but it's only a part of the planned whole

7 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I see the B Team getting competitive football as close to essential otherwise, apart from selling the odd kid at a very early stage, it makes the youth system all but pointless.  The renewed commitment to it must be a good thing but it's only a part of the planned whole

When Brentford scrapped their Academy in 2016, they introduced the B team. This has served them well.

Interestingly though, the Academy was reintroduced this season - possibly a Premier League stipulation. 

Forshaw is miles away he couldnt even get in Avro's team.

the whole point of the new set up is we dont ruin our prospects by playing them too soon eg Luamba.

and before anybody (BP) says 'if youre good enough youre old enough' he isnt good enough (yet).

at the absolute most put him ont bench last match, but we shouldnt.

Edited by Monty Burns
isnt