Latics Youth updates

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

Forshaw is miles away he couldnt even get in Avro's team.

the whole point of the new set up is we dont ruin our prospects by playing them too soon eg Luamba.

and before anybody (BP) says 'if youre good enough youre old enough' he isnt good enough (yet).

at the absolute most put him ont bench last match, but we shouldnt.

You mean like Vaughan couldn't get in to Oldham's 🙂

I know it's different and my reasoning behind involving him is more from a reward and incentive point of view, of course he's a million miles away but he's had a good season nonetheless and deserves to be around the 1st team if nothing else for the experience. 

23 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I know it's different and my reasoning behind involving him is more from a reward and incentive point of view, of course he's a million miles away but he's had a good season nonetheless and deserves to be around the 1st team if nothing else for the experience. 

Vaughan got his debut aged 16 I think 

46 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

yeah l agree get him training with the firsts and maybe stick him on the bench.

Vaughan is years ahead in terms of technicality he's prem quality. city tried to poach him and he stayed with us, that was brave but shows he knows what is needed. massive shame we wont see it in our colours, but hes probably more ready for the championship than he is the national league.

54 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Not seen him play  Monty. A place on the bench might be useful though, and if we are winning easily after an hour he could get a run out?

But why him? It seems nobody has any idea if he's the best player in the youth team, he just has some headlines because of his position.

6 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Does anyone go and watch youth games?  From the brief highlights provided it does look like pretty pedestrian, low grade stuff - so unconvinced that a step up for anyone ripping it up there should necessarily be demanded.  I recall the last time there was a bit of an outcry that an apparently prolific striker didn't get a  professional deal; Brendy Glackin back in Corney days.  He made zero impact in the professional ranks and as far as I can tell appears to be with a club that plays in the third tier of Northern Irish football, his 7th club since leaving us.

I watch a lot of youth team and U23 football as my son's at Woking Dave.

Unless they show outstanding technical ability at 16/17 it's unlikely that they will be able to cope with first team football. My lads a great player, 17 next month but a fair way off the first team.

As someone else said Forshaw struggled at Avro on loan? 

It also depends where you play.

Striker is probably the most difficult position for a youngster to make an impact against much bigger, more physical and experienced centre backs.

For example how would he get on against Yarney and Clarke in practice games? 

The coaching staff should have a good idea and act accordingly...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, redlion said:

Not quite but having seen the weather forecast I might advise her to wear wellies or if i'm feeling really bold I might say "those shoes don't quite match that dress dear".

If she was a meteorologist and knowing the weather was her job I doubt you'd mention it

On 4/21/2023 at 4:12 PM, Dave_Og said:

But why him? It seems nobody has any idea if he's the best player in the youth team, he just has some headlines because of his position.

30 goals might be a clue?

6 minutes ago, JoeP said:

What other stats would you be looking for in a striker?

I just wish that some of those clamouring for him to see first team action did so from a position of knowledge. It seems like loads want to hammer Unsworth for not picking him despite not having a clue what standard he's playing at

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

I don’t think he’s anywhere near ready. More likely to be a Brendy Glackin than anything.

only thing I would say is a lot of his goals seem to fall at his feet I.e he’s in the right position but he’s physically lacking

'all he does is score' 😁

scored with his arse a few weeks ago, gota love that!

l think he will be decent IF we leave him alone and dont pick him yet. Chris Hall written all over it at the moment.

10 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I just wish that some of those clamouring for him to see first team action did so from a position of knowledge. It seems like loads want to hammer Unsworth for not picking him despite not having a clue what standard he's playing at

I don’t think there’s much a of a clamour, more that we’re in a position we haven’t been in for years which is nothing to play for really in the last few games. It’s the perfect chance to give a couple of youngsters some first team action, if only 20/30 minutes from the bench, and he seems the obvious choice 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

I don’t think there’s much a of a clamour, more that we’re in a position we haven’t been in for years which is nothing to play for really in the last few games. It’s the perfect chance to give a couple of youngsters some first team action, if only 20/30 minutes from the bench, and he seems the obvious choice 

Why him? Maybe one lad assisted most of those 30 goals. Why not him?

4 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Why him? Maybe one lad assisted most of those 30 goals. Why not him?

Because if one lad has assisted most of his 30 goals, nobody knows who he is. If we have the perfect opportunity to blood some youngsters, then the 30 goal top scorer is obviously going to be the popular choice amongst the fans, here or anywhere else. Surely it’s not that hard to work out.

Anyway my original point in reply to Dave’s post, was a couple of people on a message board hardly represents a clamour 

Genuine question....has he played many minutes for the B team this season and if so how did he get on? Understand there have not been a plethora of games....

Also has there been any solid interest from bigger clubs in signing him?

In my experience at his age there would be plent if he has what it takes.

17 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

You must know given your background that just going off stats with no context is just lazy 

That ruled out us signing Jamie Vardy when he was in non league for years I guess?

Usual thing..they won't do it higher.

59 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

That ruled out us signing Jamie Vardy when he was in non league for years I guess?

Us and around 90 other league clubs wasn’t it? 

Edited by LaticsPete
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Not in the slightest. Nobody signed Vardy just because he scored loads of goals at a lower level

They went to watch him and judged that he could do likewise higher up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

One will always be the exception to the rule BP. And he wasn't a youth team player was he.....not sure what your infatuation is with Forshaw unless you have seen him play a number of times?