Latics Youth updates

On 5/12/2024 at 1:52 PM, oafcmetty said:

Wes Wilkinson for a friendly and a bag of chips

I remember his run and through ball that got a goal for us away at Bristol City.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

No surprise with Atherton (the one with the pony tail hair in the pic), our best prospect in donkeys years who I expect to be a first team starter from the off, either wide  (where he's best IMO) on either flank or as striker.

Doro is a powerful and quick left back, so also has every chance of a featuring.

Williams looked a centre back with a touch of class when I saw him and will probably get more time to develop as we are well off for his position.

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2024/may/14052024-academy-scholars-update/

Let's hope they sign the deals they have been offered. Wouldn't be surprised to see Atherton with plenty of other offers on the table. Does anyone know if we would get compensation if they did sign for anyone else? I know we wouldn't from now on but was wondering if that rule change was immediate.

1 hour ago, Boyyou said:

So does that make 22 contracted players on the books? 

Doesn't leave much wriggle room. Roll on the cull.

weve just binned off about eight players, there is no cull and plenty of wriggle room. three youth players on £150 pw isnt going to dent anybody's budget, let alone a big club with 7000+ average crowds.

11 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

weve just binned off about eight players, there is no cull and plenty of wriggle room. three youth players on £150 pw isnt going to dent anybody's budget, let alone a big club with 7000+ average crowds.

If they have offered Atherton £150 pw I'll guarantee he won't be signing any deal and will appear at a higher level for someone else next season. I think in order to keep him they will have had to offer decent terms as i'm sure he will have plenty of other offers.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Bit odd we aren’t looking at recruiting a first team coach. 

Think the "mutual consent" bit might be a bit of stretch. Not unusual in football but doesn't mean it's true just they have agreed a payoff.

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

No surprise with Atherton (the one with the pony tail hair in the pic), our best prospect in donkeys years who I expect to be a first team starter from the off, either wide  (where he's best IMO) on either flank or as striker.

Doro is a powerful and quick left back, so also has every chance of a featuring.

Williams looked a centre back with a touch of class when I saw him and will probably get more time to develop as we are well off for his position.

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2024/may/14052024-academy-scholars-update/

Anyone you're surprised isn't on that list, BP? Given the success the youth team seems to have been having, part of me was hoping we might have offered contracts to a couple more... 

31 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Even after releasing players we still had 19 under contract,plus the 3 young pros now added. There will need to be departures and names like Norman, Shelton, Sheron and Hogan have, we are told, been advised to look elsewhere.  That still leaves the likes of Willoughby and Nuttall who didn't figure in plans.

So yes, there will be a cull and no, the young pros will not be on only £150. 

And we don't average 7,000+. Not yet anyway.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Anyone you're surprised isn't on that list, BP? Given the success the youth team seems to have been having, part of me was hoping we might have offered contracts to a couple more... 

There's quite a few other good ones, but they could be first years, so likely to lose those for nothing.

Striker Collins Kagame was one I'd have kept as he could be another like Luamba in time.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

Even after releasing players we still had 19 under contract,plus the 3 young pros now added. There will need to be departures and names like Norman, Shelton, Sheron and Hogan have, we are told, been advised to look elsewhere.  That still leaves the likes of Willoughby and Nuttall who didn't figure in plans.

No guarantee the 3 young lads will sign the deals offered. Everyone seems to think they have already signed. I wouldn't be surprised to see Atherton at the very least turn down his offer and sign for someone else.

31 minutes ago, PeteG said:

No guarantee the 3 young lads will sign the deals offered. Everyone seems to think they have already signed. I wouldn't be surprised to see Atherton at the very least turn down his offer and sign for someone else.

Well MM didn't give Atherton a chance when he was to me clearly superior in ability and desire to anyone else.

The good thing is he's a local lad and may want to impress in senior football here rather than a higher clubs u21s team.

11 hours ago, BP1960 said:

There's quite a few other good ones, but they could be first years, so likely to lose those for nothing.

Striker Collins Kagame was one I'd have kept as he could be another like Luamba in time.

Do we want another Luamba...?

On 5/14/2024 at 6:47 PM, PeteG said:

If they have offered Atherton £150 pw I'll guarantee he won't be signing any deal and will appear at a higher level for someone else next season. I think in order to keep him they will have had to offer decent terms as i'm sure he will have plenty of other offers.

we have had first teamers on £280 so l can not see an untried youth on more than a £150 incremental deal at this stage.

call it £250 pw its still less than a grand for all three of em..

On 5/14/2024 at 7:13 PM, Boyyou said:

ok sorry 6924, the best part of 7000 then.

l'm expecting Willoughby to be given a chance in pre season and also for him to take that chance, maybe Nuttall too.

clean slate for all 19 of them for me..

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Only my personal opinion, but I think this lad should have been offered a contract. I've seen him a few times and feel he has the potential to progress to eventually to the EFL.

https://www.newtimes.co.rw/article/16270/sports/handball/collins-kagame-the-rwandan-sensation-making-waves-in-english-u18-league

"The youngster has football glued to his feet". I hope that doesn't trip him up... 

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Luamba plays at a higher level than we do

A mystery based on the limited number of times I saw him. Seems to be as very infrequent scorer at Salford 

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

A mystery based on the limited number of times I saw him. Seems to be as very infrequent scorer at Salford 

indeed. maybe they play him as a winger or in the Emile Heskey role?

whatever the situation l think Senior Luamba must be very proud*

*l stole that one off you 🤣