Latics Youth updates

On 12/20/2023 at 10:05 PM, Dave_Og said:

Because having had the number of available substitutes go from one to seven is too many. Disrupts the game 

It suits the teams with bigger stronger squads (arguably us). I am not extra subs - I feel it takes a bit of skill away from a managers decision when you can just change like for like, but if it helps us I could change my mind. 

13 hours ago, BP1960 said:
Four straight wins for the Youth Team!
Somtee Chukwugbo’s second-half strike after an own goal completes a 2-1 victory over Salford. 

wow. it's almost like there is a bigger, brighter picture in the box of doom isn't it?

imagine if people had eyes and brains that could work in tandem!!

• 3 weeks later...

At the Latics youth match v Stockport who have a very big back 4.

1-1  at half time  with the best player on the field the skilful Alfie Athterton playing as a striker. He's taking some heavy punishment, but giving it back too.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

Any idea of goalscorers BP?

Don't know all the names, but number 9 (2) number 6 and Atherton..what a prospect he his, an abundance of skill, tough, terrific work rate, never stopped running and tackling back. Took some of the heaviest punishment I've seen, but always got back up for more.

Certainly no shrinking violet, he wants to be involved every minute of the game. Hope we don't lose him to a top club before he ever plays in the first team.

The goalkeeper  was very impressive too, on loan from Manchester United l was told, we need to sign him up.

Edited by BP1960

43 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Don't know all the names, but number 9 (2) number 6 and Atherton..what a prospect he his, an abundance of skill, tough, terrific work rate, never stopped running and tackling back. Took some of the heaviest punishment I've seen, but always got back up for more.

Certainly no shrinking violet, he wants to be involved every minute of the game. Hope we don't lose him to a top club before he ever plays in the first team.

The goalkeeper  was very impressive too, on loan from Manchester United l was told, we need to sign him up.

So it sounds like he can handle himself…how do you think he’d fare in the 1st team squad, is he good enough?

How old is he? 17 ish I guess….I can’t find his birth date anywhere.

33 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

So it sounds like he can handle himself…how do you think he’d fare in the 1st team squad, is he good enough?

How old is he? 17 ish I guess….I can’t find his birth date anywhere.

17 I believe, actually it would be a disservice to play him in first team with 7 at the back hoof ball. IMO he'd be better at a top flight football club  for a big fee plus lots of add ons.

Never seen a better prospect here and I include Tarky, Milligan, Henry, Bernard among them.

This boy knows he's good, ticks every attribute box  and has the build and phenomenal work rate to go with it.

30 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

17 I believe, actually it would be a disservice to play him in first team with 7 at the back hoof ball. IMO he'd be better at a top flight football club  for a big fee plus lots of add ons.

Never seen a better prospect here and I include Tarky, Milligan, Henry, Bernard among them.

This boy knows he's good, ticks every attribute box  and has the build and phenomenal work rate to go with it.

Sounds like he’ll be moving on then?

How do the youths set up these days? Does Atherton play as an old school winger in a 442 or wide in a front 3?

If the first team moves from 352 to 433 I wonder if he might get some game time before the end of the season. 

12 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Wayne Harrison?

Far better, Wayne was very good, but a bit lightweight, this lad has a strong build, can take it and dish it back. Wins lots of free kicks with his pace and trickery.

As you say unfortunately may never see him in our first team if we take an initial big fee and add ons.

9 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

How do the youths set up these days? Does Atherton play as an old school winger in a 442 or wide in a front 3?

If the first team moves from 352 to 433 I wonder if he might get some game time before the end of the season. 

I saw him first as a right winger taking full backs apart, today he played as a striker up against 2 big brutes.

I think he could play anywhere, he does the same thing in taking on defenders and scoring  goals.

Having said that although his movement off the ball is great he needs to be on the ball  and I wouldn't play him in last Saturdays formation. The new academy coach has done a brilliant job, it was a joy to see such exciting attackinng football and several of the team could win contracts.

Edited by BP1960
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Boyyou said:

Thanks Mick.

Chukwugbo seems to be doing well recently. 

Always seems to score looking at the recent reports - will have to go and have a look at them. Wanted to go today but Granddad duty instead!

20 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I saw him first as a right winger taking full backs apart, today he played as a striker up against 2 big brutes.

I think he could play anywhere, he does the same thing in taking on defenders and scoring  goals.

Having said that although his movement off the ball is great he needs to be on the ball  and I wouldn't play him in last Saturdays formation. The new academy coach has done a brilliant job, it was a joy to see such exciting attackinng football and several of the team could win contracts.

Thanks for the updates BP, if what you say is correct (I have no reason to doubt you) the future looks good. I know you get frustrated at the 1st team set up and tactics but for me we should let MM just get on with it, he has a good record of getting out of this god forsaken league. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

They switched to 3-5-2 after a tricky start to the season and, judging by interviews on fishul,  are enjoying it -- and the excellent work of the coach.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Far better, Wayne was very good, but a bit lightweight, this lad has a strong build, can take it and dish it back. Wins lots of free kicks with his pace and trickery.

As you say unfortunately may never see him in our first team if we take an initial big fee and add ons.

Far better than the most expensive 17 year-old in history (at the time). Must be something special. 

Hope to see him in action for the first team soon - particularly if he can play on the wing... 

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Very good?

Used to go a lot in those days to reserve games. He was outstanding-partly for the very reason you have criticized him for. He was a slight lad but he just had that something you could not pin down and players never got near him. Best I have seen of Latics youth and such a shame what happened to him.

I accept the game then was nowhere near as physical as it is now though.

5 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Very good?

Used to go a lot in those days to reserve games. He was outstanding-partly for the very reason you have criticized him for. He was a slight lad but he just had that something you could not pin down and players never got near him. Best I have seen of Latics youth and such a shame what happened to him.

I accept the game then was nowhere near as physical as it is now though.

It wasn't a criticism, he was a lightweight build, we will never know due to his unfortunate career ending injury how good he could have been.

Edited by BP1960