Latics Youth updates

20 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Far better than the most expensive 17 year-old in history (at the time). Must be something special. 

Hope to see him in action for the first team soon - particularly if he can play on the wing... 

My fear is he will be poached before then. 

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

17 I believe, actually it would be a disservice to play him in first team with 7 at the back hoof ball. IMO he'd be better at a top flight football club  for a big fee plus lots of add ons.

Never seen a better prospect here and I include Tarky, Milligan, Henry, Bernard among them.

This boy knows he's good, ticks every attribute box  and has the build and phenomenal work rate to go with it.

Jake Forshaw smashed masses of goals in with the youths. Can't even handle a couple of divisions below us now. Massive difference between a 17 year old getting stuck into you or someone like Hogan

2 hours ago, Boyyou said:

They switched to 3-5-2 after a tricky start to the season and, judging by interviews on fishul,  are enjoying it -- and the excellent work of the coach.

Can't be. That's the formation first team play and it's defensive and shite...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Jake Forshaw smashed masses of goals in with the youths. Can't even handle a couple of divisions below us now. Massive difference between a 17 year old getting stuck into you or someone like Hogan

Can't be. That's the formation first team play and it's defensive and shite...

What's your opinion on Alfie then?, after all that's what we are on here to discuss, add something to the debate and stop picking on the same posters please, it's tedious. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

What's your opinion on Alfie then?, after all that's what we are on here to discuss, add something to the debate and stop picking on the same posters please, it's tedious. 

Sorry. Did someone speak to you? My point directly related to the player in question and the difference between standing out against kids and then playing v men. I don't see what you're taking issue with here.

2 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Sorry. Did someone speak to you? My point directly related to the player in question and the difference between standing out against kids and then playing v men. I don't see what you're taking issue with here.

Okay crack on then quoting the same posters then 😴😴😴 😴😴

It's interesting getting the views of fellow fans, why do you think your best qualified to moderate then? What are your football credentials then given you probably haven't seen any of the players you mention in your post yet some have took the time to attend youth games and form an opinion which they are happy to pass on to others, go watch him instead of comparing him to Forshaw you may change your mind, two completely different talents.

6 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Suppose we'll never know unless the lad gets a game.

I've not seen him play but would hope he's amongst those kids who get a chance when we're comfortably in the play-offs.

As you say it's a bit different playing men's football, as Sachdev is finding out presently.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Tell Mcfluff I never recommended Forshaw. And it's my opinion this lad is among the best I've seen in 50 years.

It's amazing when I've something good to report about the club he shoots it down.

I feel sorry for him that he has to constantly have a go at me.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Okay crack on then quoting the same posters then 😴😴😴 😴😴

It's interesting getting the views of fellow fans, why do you think your best qualified to moderate then? What are your football credentials then given you probably haven't seen any of the players you mention in your post yet some have took the time to attend youth games and form an opinion which they are happy to pass on to others, go watch him instead of comparing him to Forshaw you may change your mind, two completely different talents.

Ridiculous post. Weird really. Me pointing out that there's a difference between kids football and men's football, without even the slightest dig at any poster got you this upset.

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Suppose we'll never know unless the lad gets a game.

I've not seen him play but would hope he's amongst those kids who get a chance when we're comfortably in the play-offs.

As you say it's a bit different playing men's football, as Sachdev is finding out presently.

Very reasonable post. I also hope he gets a chance to show what he can do in men's footy. Also hope he turns out to be a star for us before we inevitably sell him to a bigger club like Doncaster or Shrewsbury 

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

Tell Mcfluff I never recommended Forshaw. And it's my opinion this lad is among the best I've seen in 50 years.

It's amazing when I've something good to report about the club he shoots it down.

I feel sorry for him that he has to constantly have a go at me.

I can read and I never said you did recommend Forshaw. Just pointing out he was the last star we had at youth. At no point in my post did I mention you, single you out or have a go at you. I talked about one of our players. So grow up and get over yourself

1 minute ago, mcfluff1985 said:

I can read and I never said you did recommend Forshaw. Just pointing out he was the last star we had at youth. At no point in my post did I mention you, single you out or have a go at you. I talked about one of our players. So grow up and get over yourself

Dear me, you directly quoted him - again and used Forshaw as an example.

5 hours ago, BP1960 said:

My fear is he will be poached before then. 

I hope you are wrong , It wouldbe nice to see a local lad thrive in the first team for a few years and then move on for a decent fee.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, penrhyn said:

I hope you are wrong , It wouldbe nice to see a local lad thrive in the first team for a few years and then move on for a decent fee.

we will soon. the youth investment has been great, in ideas aswell as staff and scouting. matter of time

9 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Because forshaw is a direct comparison. He was the standout last year. Not sure what you aren't grasping...

Go and watch them play and you'll understand what you're talking about, they are completely different players, you get involved in discussions you know nothing about then have the temerity to start rubbishing other peoples opinions who actually do know what they are talking about.

As for comparing him to Forshaw I'd say he's better compared to Moore whose already been involved with the first team, Forshaw is your old school centre forward whereas Moore played out wide predominantly for the youth team, Atherton is better than him though and has an arrogance to his game and a confidence you rarely see in a player his age, he's also a very likeable lad and it's probably only a matter of time before a big club come in for him and try and tempt him away, he's certainly being looked at and looks pretty special.

Go watch him play (as a few of us have), it's easier to form an opinion then rather than going against others for the sake of it. If you watched him and don't rate him then fair enough but I suspect you haven't if you are comparing him to Forshaw.

Somtee Chukwugbo would be a better comparison to Forshaw but given he's only in his first year with the youth team he could go on to better things, he was playing on the opposite flank to Alfie early season on the left in a front three but since he's been moved in to a front two he's scored for fun and has really cemented his place in the team. He's another one being looked at given the progress he's made.

• Like 1

I think there's a natural scepticism about youth prospects as so few have made it through to the first team, and played a decent number of games, in recent seasons.  Plenty have been touted as being able to make the step up with maybe Tom Hamer doing best of those that have done so?  It's 6 years since he came through.  Remarkably he's played more games for Burton now than he did for us,

It was interesting that Mellon chose Kofi Moore to introduce but he looked way out of his depth, with the proviso that the whole team did that day!

I've never seen a youth team game and doubt I ever will so appreciate the feedback that those who do go provide but I'll retain that scepticism until that is proved to be wrong. 

Good luck to young Atherton.

15 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I saw him first as a right winger taking full backs apart, today he played as a striker up against 2 big brutes.

I think he could play anywhere, he does the same thing in taking on defenders and scoring  goals.

Having said that although his movement off the ball is great he needs to be on the ball  and I wouldn't play him in last Saturdays formation. The new academy coach has done a brilliant job, it was a joy to see such exciting attackinng football and several of the team could win contracts.

14 hours ago, Boyyou said:

They switched to 3-5-2 after a tricky start to the season and, judging by interviews on fishul,  are enjoying it -- and the excellent work of the coach.

Thanks for the info.  It'd be good to see him get a bit of first team action this season. Unfortunately with the way things are these days, if there's interest, plenty of clubs can offer the sort of money and add ons we probably won't be able to turn down even with our better financial situation.

9 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Go and watch them play and you'll understand what you're talking about, they are completely different players, you get involved in discussions you know nothing about then have the temerity to start rubbishing other peoples opinions who actually do know what they are talking about.

As for comparing him to Forshaw I'd say he's better compared to Moore whose already been involved with the first team, Forshaw is your old school centre forward whereas Moore played out wide predominantly for the youth team, Atherton is better than him though and has an arrogance to his game and a confidence you rarely see in a player his age, he's also a very likeable lad and it's probably only a matter of time before a big club come in for him and try and tempt him away, he's certainly being looked at and looks pretty special.

Go watch him play (as a few of us have), it's easier to form an opinion then rather than going against others for the sake of it. If you watched him and don't rate him then fair enough but I suspect you haven't if you are comparing him to Forshaw.

Somtee Chukwugbo would be a better comparison to Forshaw but given he's only in his first year with the youth team he could go on to better things, he was playing on the opposite flank to Alfie early season on the left in a front three but since he's been moved in to a front two he's scored for fun and has really cemented his place in the team. He's another one being looked at given the progress he's made.

Grasping. Wasn't comparing them as similar players. Just the fact Forshaw was the big prospect last time. I haven't rubbished anyone's opinion on this. 

You're busy arguing something that you've made up in your own head. 🤣🤣🤣

• 3 weeks later...

What was the opinion of the youth team watchers of Kofi Moore?  His brief foray into the first team squad was very brief indeed but presumably the staff thought he was the most promising of the group at the time?

9 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

What was the opinion of the youth team watchers of Kofi Moore?  His brief foray into the first team squad was very brief indeed but presumably the staff thought he was the most promising of the group at the time?

there is something there, aye. but theres a few to be honest but AA has always been the standout. reminds me of Gavi.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2024 at 2:49 PM, Dave_Og said:

He’s doing very well at Guiseley where he and an ex-Avro player Michael Afuye on loan from

Rochdale are tearing it up down the wings

• Like 1