Latics Youth updates

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

Wouldn’t have thought it would be his decision to make?

Could have been given the option to stay or return with the possibility of a first team squad inclusion. Pure speculation, of course and the natural assumption is the club decides.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wonder if it's even been proposed in the NL to up the amount of subs to maybe seven from five on the proviso that two are under 21?,  it's difficult for youth players like Moore for instance to make that step up when understandably managers probably look at a travelling 18 or 20 and find it difficult to include them with only four outfield sub spots to fill. 

55 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I wonder if it's even been proposed in the NL to up the amount of subs to maybe seven from five on the proviso that two are under 21?,  it's difficult for youth players like Moore for instance to make that step up when understandably managers probably look at a travelling 18 or 20 and find it difficult to include them with only four outfield sub spots to fill. 

I really hope not.

12 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I really like this idea. Presume you mean number on the bench not number of subs allowed? Increasing bench size to allow for extra young players would be a great way of creating more pathways from youth set ups to first team squads. 

13 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I really like this idea. Presume you mean number on the bench not number of subs allowed? Increasing bench size to allow for extra young players would be a great way of creating more pathways from youth set ups to first team squads. 

I could go for that - but not more allowed substitutions.  The rules have changed so often I'm not even sure what they are anymore.  Does the PL allow five subs but only in three lots?  They'd be better off trying to sort out a sensible handball rule than fannying about with substitutes every five minutes.

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

I could go for that - but not more allowed substitutions.  The rules have changed so often I'm not even sure what they are anymore.  Does the PL allow five subs but only in three lots?  They'd be better off trying to sort out a sensible handball rule than fannying about with substitutes every five minutes.

I have absolutely no idea what happens in the PL with subs, I barely watch any of it. Did it change after that totallyfairlyandoroperlyawardedimsure World Cup in Qatar? And they now can make subs like an international friendly or something. I agree, that’s a nonsense.

But just allowing extra places on the bench for youth players (which I think is what @yarddog73 was suggesting) would make a lot of sense. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LaticMark said:

Jake Forshaw has returned from his loan at Guiseley.

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2023/december/21122023-jake-forshaw/

Seems to have struggled to cement a place in the team in all three of his loans - Colne, Farsley and now Guiseley.

Shows that the step up from youth level is still quite a big one. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Seems to have struggled to cement a place in the team in all three of his loans - Colne, Farsley and now Guiseley.

Shows that the step up from youth level is still quite a big one. 

indeed. yet some people wanted to tell us he should have been starting for us last season!

• Like 1

PS l think he's got a chance, seems to have good instincts and the physique looks like it will be there. but he is a bit too nice.

bit of a joke we havent got a reserve team yet but l can see the massive focus on youth which is excellent.

lve opined allowed about active bridge building with giants like Scholes who had a burning off 'us' and if l knew Tony Philliskirk had been back at BP sat cross legged having a chat and a (weak) brew it wouldnt half warm the heart.

16 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

15 hours ago, nzlatic said:

I have absolutely no idea what happens in the PL with subs, I barely watch any of it. Did it change after that totallyfairlyandoroperlyawardedimsure World Cup in Qatar? And they now can make subs like an international friendly or something. I agree, that’s a nonsense.

But just allowing extra places on the bench for youth players (which I think is what @yarddog73 was suggesting) would make a lot of sense. 

It's 5 subs in 3 stoppages of play so any sub made at HT doesn't count towards the stoppages of play.

Fairly certain it was altered initially due to COVID-19, but was maintained partly in conjunction with World Cup 22 and Euro 20 (that took place in 21).

Benefits big teams and squads, so we'd see the benefit more than say Gateshead would. 

On 12/22/2023 at 2:53 AM, rudemedic said:

It's 5 subs in 3 stoppages of play so any sub made at HT doesn't count towards the stoppages of play.

Fairly certain it was altered initially due to COVID-19, but was maintained partly in conjunction with World Cup 22 and Euro 20 (that took place in 21).

Benefits big teams and squads, so we'd see the benefit more than say Gateshead would. 

You might want to withdraw that last sentence after today’s match!

In general though I agree with it, hence my opposition to more subs on the bench and three actual substitutions.

• 2 weeks later...