Latics Youth updates

2 hours ago, trickyrickyholden said:

Does seem very unfair 

Why would the EFL want to fund non-league academies? And if they did, then how far down the pyramid would they want to go?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Why would the EFL want to fund non-league academies? And if they did, then how far down the pyramid would they want to go?

My comment isn't about funding of academies per se, its around having no protection/compensation if other clubs pick off our starlets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

41 minutes ago, trickyrickyholden said:

My comment isn't about funding of academies per se, its around having no protection/compensation if other clubs pick off our starlets.

@trickyrickyholden said it 👍

3 hours ago, trickyrickyholden said:

@Dave_Og the point is you have not answered is it right promising young players can leave for nothing because they are in non league?

Please explain what you think is the logic of the EFL and FA on this stance?

Can't answer for him, but why would he EFL have a view on what's right in leagues outside their remit? Presumably EFL members would be very happy being able to cherrypick non-league talent for buttons.

I quite agree with you that it might be 'wrong', but it would be naive for me to expect an organisation set up to guard its members' interests to look for others' interests.

The FA, on the other hand... but again I assume the influence of bigger clubs is greater than non-league on its thinking. Was always thus.

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

@Dave_Og the point is you have not answered is it right promising young players can leave for nothing because they are in non league?

Please explain what you think is the logic of the EFL and FA on this stance?

Have I said it is right? I don't think I have. Two different questions 

There's a simple answer.  We shouldn't have allowed ourselves to be in this position.  The sooner we put that right the better.  Boot on the other foot. Though I can't recall us ever raiding a non league club for their star for nowt.

8 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

Wayne Andrews and Fitz Hall from Chesham?

Edit: though we did pay a fee for Hall, I think. 

Did we not pay a fee for both? They weren't youth players. 

3 hours ago, Lags said:

There's a simple answer.  We shouldn't have allowed ourselves to be in this position.  The sooner we put that right the better.  Boot on the other foot. Though I can't recall us ever raiding a non league club for their star for nowt.

John Sheridan. altho he was hardly a youth!!!

theres been Matt Smith l suppose at a stretch.

On 5/10/2024 at 9:11 PM, Lags said:

I've just suggested one in the transfer rumours thread.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

I've just suggested one in the transfer rumours thread.

I must have the wrong end of the stick.  I thought we were talking about we now have no safety net regarding our youth players.  In that they can be took for nowt and not about older players. 

Any road I think you've posted before about the Colwyn Bay lad.  Be interesting to see who's in for him now he's out of contract 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crusoe said:

Atherton, Williams (centre back) and Doro (left back) offered professional terms. 

I'd guess three is about average.  Anyone that anybody thinks should have been?

10 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Who has offered those? Because nobody watches the roof from senior management 

That's what happened at Stretford FC, next thing it's pissing in. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Crusoe said:

Atherton, Williams (centre back) and Doro (left back) offered professional terms. 

No surprise with Atherton (the one with the pony tail hair in the pic), our best prospect in donkeys years who I expect to be a first team starter from the off, either wide  (where he's best IMO) on either flank or as striker.

Doro is a powerful and quick left back, so also has every chance of a featuring.

Williams looked a centre back with a touch of class when I saw him and will probably get more time to develop as we are well off for his position.

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2024/may/14052024-academy-scholars-update/

Edited by BP1960

1 hour ago, Crusoe said:

So does that make 22 contracted players on the books? 

Doesn't leave much wriggle room. Roll on the cull.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

Perhaps adding to the rumour that MM will be reunited with coach Mike Jackson

He looks more qualified to take over the first team.

Surely a new manager won't be paraded before the fans forum?

Edited by BP1960