Signing & Player Rumours

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Was it 1977? Did we play Liverpool in the next round? What a bunch of bastards their fans were that day.

Loved Carl Valentine (from Gorton, I think).

Checked the web and it was `77 joe. With regard to fans, all I remember as a relatively young lad is Latics hooligans having a running battle after the match with, who my dad referred to, as the "Moss Side Cool Cats". I just remember bricks flying everywhere - it was pretty scary as a young lad. So I don't think it was Northwich fans being bastards - it was the late 70s City thugs on the scene.

7 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

That's right - Feb 1977, 5th round, we lost 3-1. Jimmy Case scored one of his thunderbolts if I remember. My one and only visit to the Kop, I went in there out of curiosity. It was tough keeping my hands in my pockets when Shaw scored for us, but self-preservation kicked in and I still got suspicious looks 🤣

Jeez I remember that match as if it was yesterday! Was sat in the side stand with thousands of Latics' fans when Jimmy Case received the ball out on the touchline, not too far down from the halfway line from memory. He then smashed it at one million miles per hour and scored an astonishing goal from range.

Was so proud when David Shaw scored too (my co-favourite ever player along with Alan Groves). Happy days indeed!

7 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

That's right - Feb 1977, 5th round, we lost 3-1. Jimmy Case scored one of his thunderbolts if I remember. My one and only visit to the Kop, I went in there out of curiosity. It was tough keeping my hands in my pockets when Shaw scored for us, but self-preservation kicked in and I still got suspicious looks 🤣

Also watched it from the kop as a 12 yo thanks to dad taking us in the wrong end so much for knowing where to go after visiting during  his national service ! Couldnt keep quiet when shaw scored but all was ok was looked after by the scousers around us tho my scarf did go missing on way out  . Happy memories 

14 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Jeez I remember that match as if it was yesterday! Was sat in the side stand with thousands of Latics' fans when Jimmy Case received the ball out on the touchline, not too far down from the halfway line from memory. He then smashed it at one million miles per hour and scored an astonishing goal from range.

Was so proud when David Shaw scored too (my co-favourite ever player along with Alan Groves). Happy days indeed!

Highlights 

6 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

lno yh what l mean is lm hoping it was a blag and theyre just about to pull a rabbit

Meanwhile, back on topic, it would have to be a bloody good hat and rabbit to win anybody over. As I said previously, I wouldn't let him sign any more players and as someone else said, send Chapman and Peck back to their clubs, recall Vaughan and let's get on with it with what he already has.

If not, then just fucking go and let someone else have a shot. 

19 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Checked the web and it was `77 joe. With regard to fans, all I remember as a relatively young lad is Latics hooligans having a running battle after the match with, who my dad referred to, as the "Moss Side Cool Cats". I just remember bricks flying everywhere - it was pretty scary as a young lad. So I don't think it was Northwich fans being bastards - it was the late 70s City thugs on the scene.

Sorry, I meant Liverpool fans. They were total scum that day.

https://www.theoldhamtimes.co.uk/sport/23260412.cheltenham-midfielder-chapman-extends-oldham-athletic-loan/

Latics boss David Unsworth says he is a player who he feels can have a future at the club.

"Ellis has done smashing, he's a really good footballer. He was on the radar for a long time, he's a great lad and I'm hoping we can potentially sit down with him in the summer and discuss my plans for him moving forward next year and beyond," he said.

I see we're putting the building blocks in place early doors for our 15th place finish next season... 

8 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

https://www.theoldhamtimes.co.uk/sport/23260412.cheltenham-midfielder-chapman-extends-oldham-athletic-loan/

Latics boss David Unsworth says he is a player who he feels can have a future at the club.

"Ellis has done smashing, he's a really good footballer. He was on the radar for a long time, he's a great lad and I'm hoping we can potentially sit down with him in the summer and discuss my plans for him moving forward next year and beyond," he said.

I see we're putting the building blocks in place early doors for our 15th place finish next season... 

That’s worrying, he’s been anonymous since coming here. 

26 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

Fucking shite this fella talks, you wouldn't know he's playing half the time, check him out for Gateshead goals on Saturday he was off in a taxi and nowhere to be seen. Worrying statement that one.

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Fucking shite this fella talks, you wouldn't know he's playing half the time, check him out for Gateshead goals on Saturday he was off in a taxi and nowhere to be seen. Worrying statement that one.

We can't let this cloud our judgement :pray:

Guest Stanley30

This is becoming a fucking joke. 

How's this clown allowed to sign more players. 

What the hell is going on at the club!? Are they not seeing this dross? 

On 1/16/2023 at 11:29 AM, BP1960 said:

Of course he's had coaching, but he's a born natural so that would be on tactical nous. 

There is no such thing as natural talent. The players that appear to have it, will be the the ones who have practised the most. 

Marc White said on the phone-in last night that they sent an email asking about Norman, never heard back and then Latics leaked that Dorking had made a bid for him. He said he was pretty pissed off about it all. He did say it was before Unsworth came in, but the story was leaked in November on the same day we signed Peck...

Just now, Lee Sinnott said:

Marc White said on the phone-in last night that they sent an email asking about Norman, never heard back and then Latics leaked that Dorking had made a bid for him. He said he was pretty pissed off about it all. He did say it was before Unsworth came in, but the story was leaked in November on the same day we signed Peck...

He also said we could have their left back. He looked good against us at Boundary Park but, from what I can gather, he's been in and out of the side all season...

Archived