He was top drawer in that first half yesterday. He bullied their centre halves, his hold up play was excellent and he scored a cracker.

To be honest- I didn’t know he had that in him, as to me he looks like he can’t be arsed a lot of the time. But yesterday showed what an asset he can when he’s at it. It will be interesting to see if he can hit that level more consistently or whether yesterday was a flash in a pan. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, League one forever said:

He was top drawer in that first half yesterday. He bullied their centre halves, his hold up play was excellent and he scored a cracker.

To be honest- I didn’t know he had that in him, as to me he looks like he can’t be arsed a lot of the time. But yesterday showed what an asset he can when he’s at it. It will be interesting to see if he can hit that level more consistently or whether yesterday was a flash in a pan. 

He will look back in 10 years and regret not having the career he could of had, when he's on it he's above the level we are at, unfortunately he does that once every leap year. Hopefully yesterday has reignited something in him and he kicks on.

Just now, yarddog73 said:

He will look back in 10 years and regret not having the career he could of had, when he's on it he's above the level we are at, unfortunately he does that once every leap year. Hopefully yesterday has reignited something in him and he kicks on.

Unsworth won’t allow him to drop that standard.  

I can see a number of player casualties in this coming season with the extra fitness training.  Also loans out, loans cancelled and focus on the psychological aspect of player confidence.

In just over a week there’s been a massive improvement.  For 60mins yesterday we got the lead and contained the preseason red hot favourites making them look extremely average.  Our fitness and having fuck all on the bench was our downfall.  Unsworth nailed it in his post match interview.

Fingers crossed to another two or three in, a few out and Unsworth’s over haul of the squad, coaching and fitness we salvage our season and has us ready for next season.

He needs to get a lot fitter for a start. He was out on his feet after an hour and walking around. That seems to be a team trait though, and Unsworth will see that clearly and will get them working extra hard in training to increase fitness. He definitely has it in him, as can be seen yesterday and at Newport last season. Playing like that and he’s ahead of Porter when he’s fit again as he offers more pace and more power with his overall game. Over to him now in terms of consistency. 

24 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

Think it did him good to have Rooney behind him. Rooney was constantly screamin at him to get him goin

Think whatever Rooney does with the ball will be a bonus. His real impact will be encouraging/cajoling/organising those around him, something we have badly needed. Early signs promising. 

15 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

Think whatever Rooney does with the ball will be a bonus. His real impact will be encouraging/cajoling/organising those around him, something we have badly needed. Early signs promising. 

Whilst I generally agree he's got to offer more on the ball particularly in the area of the pitch he plays, Cooper was doing the running for two yesterday and we were over run and played through at will at times, it's the most vocal I've seen us this season though you could hear it in the stands so that's something they must of been working on, how good was Sheron yesterday though, marshalled a very young defence well and was probably my man of the match, thought Clarke looked better as well other than the odd misplaced pass.

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Jeffers was talking Fondop through the game yesterday, constantly encouraging and keeping him focused.

The combination of Unsworth (defence), Ebbrell (midfield) and Jeffers (attack) looks a well balanced coaching setup 👍

1 hour ago, latics22 said:

There should be no excuse for an unfit player! That is basically there life! They should be conditioned to look after themselves!

There is a reason some footballers are playing level 5 and below when they have ability to play higher, it happens in all walks of life some will play above the talent they have some will fall short, unfortunately we have too many who can't keep going for more than an hour which is a worry.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

There is a reason some footballers are playing level 5 and below when they have ability to play higher, it happens in all walks of life some will play above the talent they have some will fall short, unfortunately we have too many who can't keep going for more than an hour which is a worry.

Might help if he had  partner up front, too often its lumped up to him with no one else around.

46 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Might help if he had  partner up front, too often its lumped up to him with no one else around.

100% not really sure what people are expecting the guy to be able to do. Everyone I've seen him play the ball sticks to him or he gets reasonable flick ons. He needs team mates to be a little closer to him.

I will concede that he was knackered at 60 mins yesterday and should have been taken off.

I like Fondop and Luamba but it's too big an ask to get either of them to play up front on their own. 

Fondop was literally the only Latics player in the Wrexham half for 90% of the second-half yesterday. A big ask to lead the line on his own, fit or otherwise...

2 hours ago, trickyrickyholden said:

100% not really sure what people are expecting the guy to be able to do. Everyone I've seen him play the ball sticks to him or he gets reasonable flick ons. He needs team mates to be a little closer to him.

I will concede that he was knackered at 60 mins yesterday and should have been taken off.

Im expecting him to produce that first half performance far more regularly. As the overwhelming majority of the time, he doesn’t win his flick on’s, the ball bounce’s off him- and he doesn’t look interested. Yesterday showed what a relatively top player he can be, but it was the exception not the rule. 

Hopefully he can a big player for us. 

One thing I am struggling to grasp is how many people are counting down the days until Porter returns as though he’s gonna start bagging.

The fella’s finished. His legs certainly have. Curb those expectations…

16 hours ago, latics22 said:

There should be no excuse for an unfit player! That is basically there life! They should be conditioned to look after themselves!

There are circumstances though when this can happen:

An injured player is brought back too quickly

A player starts the game not 100% fit because the options from the bench are poor (as it was on Saturday)

A player has worked under a previous coaching regime that had different standards as to the optimal fitness level

A player is asked to play at a tempo that he simply cannot maintain for 90 minutes but there are no alternatives available 

Its going to take time for Unsworth to resolve all of the above - so let’s not get on a player’s case without at least considering the bigger picture 

He played really well in that first half. In the second half, I can't really blame him for not being involved. It looked like the players were told to sit back. When we did have the ball, we couldn't string the passes together to get into decent positions, and Fondop was unable to get involved. 

Fondop more then likely will do less push up's (5 at a time) in training this week than last week.

Unsworth had them doing push up's if they stopped working. Fitness will certainly improve under the new coaching team.

39 minutes ago, AnthonyOAFC said:

He played really well in that first half. In the second half, I can't really blame him for not being involved. It looked like the players were told to sit back. When we did have the ball, we couldn't string the passes together to get into decent positions, and Fondop was unable to get involved. 

I was more concerned about Tollitt dropping back as he was a good attacking outlet in the first half. 

As a a result we handed the initiative to Wrexham.

Harry Vaughan would have run at them, but again is ignored. 

Couto also dropping back made it even worse and was the wrong sub IMO.

It's strange how teams having played well with an attacking intention revert to defending after scoring a goal and not continuing what got them the lead in the first place.

Not just Latics, seems a general trend.

1 good half, 1 unauthorised operation, 1 relegation whilst he got paid to rehab. 

He's a big lad but a total lump. I'd rather see Luamba learn his trade than persist with Fondop unless that 1st half is going to be the norm from now on.

He was something else in that 1st half but the tale of his career suggests that'll be an exception to his performances this season.

Archived