MATCH: vs Chester (H) 15/10/22 FA Cup 4th Rd Qual 🏆

Just now, BP1960 said:

Will he change to attacking football on Tuesday? don't think so as we have very few forward thinking players.

Harry Vaughan is one, but DU had a chance to bring him and preferred Luamba, who just isn't cutting it IMO.

We have one forward thinking player aright now and that seems to be Fondop. We await Porter and Hope, which is why I don't think any new forwards will come in, despite me saying I hope players come in sooner rather than later.

Luamba appears to be a 'Hobson's choice' at the moment. Maybe Vaughan should be given his opportunity from the start on Tuesday, can't see it myself, but you never know.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wardie said:

We have one forward thinking player aright now and that seems to be Fondop. We await Porter and Hope, which is why I don't think any new forwards will come in, despite me saying I hope players come in sooner rather than later.

Luamba appears to be a 'Hobson's choice' at the moment. Maybe Vaughan should be given his opportunity from the start on Tuesday, can't see it myself, but you never know.

I watched Gardner in training this week and he looked nowhere near fit enough to start a game, it's an indictment on the other midfielders he did.

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I watched Gardner in training this week and he looked nowhere near fit enough to start a game, it's an indictment on the other midfielders he did.

Listening to Unsworth's interview, none of them are fit enough.
He'll get another outing on Tuesday, no doubt.

11 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I thought fitness was the keyword with this regime , we must be making some headway by now with this surely 

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Rushed back may mean another breakdown is the problem.

Agree BP, but surely Unsworth asked Gardner if he felt he was able to play. I'm feeling the desperation to get the result is forcing his hand. A squad with more strength-in-depth and it's not so much a problem.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Ridiculous statement, the club has made hundreds of thousands of £s on extra gate money revenue. 

Stay with this lot of players and we will be the Conference North club next season.

I have said players like Haughton (2 goals again today), Colclough and a striker would make a vast difference. 

We will see some signings I'm sure of that, hopefully forwards.

You should apply for the managers position. You make it sound so easy

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

they probably would have been fit if they had been on this program for a pre season and 13 games. thats pretty much the whole point.

But 13 games plus your pre season plus the week or so training in between each game  should be ample time for fitness purposes, regardless of the manager 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Always worry when managers reference fitness, seems like a cop out.

Especially when he keeps picking the same unfit players week in week out, don't get the Rooney signing at all, done nothing yet and goes against everything he said in his early interviews.

Every team bar none have had the measure of our midfield this season, centrally today we were woeful. 

9 minutes ago, True Tic said:

But 13 games plus your pre season plus the week or so training in between each game  should be ample time for fitness purposes, regardless of the manager 

its not a numbers or time issue looking backward. ample time doing the wrong thing won't give the right result no matter how long you do it. more likely to have the opposite effect

If ever a game was crying out for Harry to come on today's was.

Instead of pushing on for a second or third after scoring the players revert to possession football, falling deeper and deeper until the inevitable happens. They then decide that maybe attacking the opposition is an option but still fail to put more than one decent cross into the box.

We were playing against a fellow non-league side not Inter Milan so banging balls into the box in the general direction of Fondop and getting someone around him will bring rewards. 

Fondop needs telling to get in the box, don't piss about on the wing doing drag-backs, holding onto the ball and generally slowing play down ( we've enough players well equipped to do that already!)

We've very few forward-thinking players so must utilise the one standout example we have.

1 minute ago, Monty Burns said:

its not a numbers or time issue looking backward. ample time doing the wrong thing won't give the right result no matter how long you do it. more likely to have the opposite effect

True, and  I know it’s been said before but “professional footballers and experienced managers” should have a rough idea of conditioning etc to prepare for the season ahead 

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Will he change to attacking football on Tuesday? don't think so as we have very few forward thinking players.

Harry Vaughan is one, but DU had a chance to bring him and preferred Luamba, who just isn't cutting it IMO.

Rooney was the more obvious Harry Vaughan moment for me

11 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

It's just basic fitness for a basic game at a very basic level Monty. It's hardly advanced "sports science" - you do realise what league we are in don't you? There's also something called "personal responsibility" - perhaps the players could just be at least half-arsed to look after their own fitness a teeny weeny little bit?

5 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

It's just basic fitness for a basic game at a very basic level Monty. It's hardly advanced "sports science" - you do realise what league we are in don't you? There's also something called "personal responsibility" - perhaps the players could just be at least half-arsed to look after their own fitness a teeny weeny little bit?

yes that will be why he is attempting to move us up into a different fitter bracket 

There is a lot wrong here ! Shez was and still is being made a scapegoat for what’s wrong with the playing squad. He did his best with what he had, he had no support or budget. Suddenly money is available for players and a massive team around unsworth! Maybe he will come good. But his results are terrible. I don’t think for a second shez would have done as bad, even with just Tommy. Was the rhino around in the prehistoric age because he’s looking way more like a dinosaur than shez….

• Like 1