MATCH: vs Chester (H) 15/10/22 FA Cup 4th Rd Qual 🏆

2 minutes ago, disjointed said:

I'm prepared to wait a little longer before casting judgement, I appreciate that others want a quick fix. 

As am I- to a point. 

But people need to stop conflating the two. 

Under AL - we couldn’t judge any manager. (Rightly) 

Under Frank- we apparently still can’t judge the manger, because of AL’s legacy. . . It’s nonsense. The Rothwell’s ensure we have a viable club, and they also ensure that we go back to what normal clubs do- which is judge managers on their results. 

Unsy has been a allowed to sign a player, bid for another. Bring an expensive coaching staff. Set up a B team. Bring in ancillary support staff. He has backed to hilt already and the owners can have all the time in the world to get it right- the manager can not. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

As am I- to a point. 

But people need to stop conflating the two. 

Under AL - we couldn’t judge any manager. (Rightly) 

Under Frank- we apparently still can’t judge the manger, because of AL’s legacy. . . It’s nonsense. The Rothwell’s ensure we have a viable club, and they also ensure that we go back to what normal clubs do- which is judge managers on their results. 

Unsy has been a allowed to sign a player, bid for another. Bring an expensive coaching staff. Set up a B team. Bring in ancillary support staff. He has backed to hilt already and the owners can have all the time in the world to get it right- the manager can not. 

I agree the manager is not above criticism, but 6 games into his tenure with the bunch of losers he inherited I am loathe to be calling for his head yet. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, disjointed said:

And yet the bigger picture seems infinitely better than the last 4 or 5 years. 

No one's saying the bigger picture isn't infinitely better than the last 4 or 5 years.

But there has to be a short-term vision to implement the long-term.

I don't want us to be shit for three years with the idea we might be good, possibly in a lower division on the off-chance the long-term plan comes good.  It's too big a risk and might be too far to come back from it.

We need to see signs of improvement soon. Firstly to ensure we are at our lowest ebb now and secondly to show whether Unsworth is really worth building the long-term project around.

• Like 3

Just now, disjointed said:

I agree the manager is not above criticism, but 6 games into his tenure with the bunch of losers he inherited I am loathe to be calling for his head yet. 

Agreed-  he needs a lot longer than 6 games. But equally he can’t above debate if the poor run continues- just because the squad isn’t amazing.

People keep saying, we need to spend. But are forgetting we have a bloated squad already. Point being- Unsy isn’t going to be able to transform the side with ten new signings until the summer at least. So he’s stuck with a lot of these players, and it’s his job to get the most out of them. The only player who looks improved so far- is Fondop. 

3 hours ago, League one forever said:

People keep saying, we need to spend. But are forgetting we have a bloated squad already. Point being- Unsy isn’t going to be able to transform the side with ten new signings until the summer at least. So he’s stuck with a lot of these players, and it’s his job to get the most out of them. The only player who looks improved so far- is Fondop. 

So maybe he is getting the most out of them-they just aren't good enough.

Agree about Fondop, he seems to have lost a bit of excess baggage.

16 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

So maybe he is getting the most out of them-they just aren't good enough.

Agree about Fondop, he seems to have lost a bit of excess baggage.

Fondop looks like he’s benefited from what must be one to one coaching with Jeffers. (Due to injuries) 

So many of the squad have league experience, I genuinely don’t think it’s that bad. What doesn’t help- is  playing 5 at the back and one up top, which is a defensive set up in anyones book, and will lead to more of the same type of performance’s in my view.

Just on the squad and tactics- do you think if and when new players arrive. Unsy will change the formation and we’ll suddenly become more attacking with better players? Personally I don’t, I think he’ll set up the same- with similar results. 

7 hours ago, League one forever said:

Fondop looks like he’s benefited from what must be one to one coaching with Jeffers. (Due to injuries) 

So many of the squad have league experience, I genuinely don’t think it’s that bad. What doesn’t help- is  playing 5 at the back and one up top, which is a defensive set up in anyones book, and will lead to more of the same type of performance’s in my view.

Just on the squad and tactics- do you think if and when new players arrive. Unsy will change the formation and we’ll suddenly become more attacking with better players? Personally I don’t, I think he’ll set up the same- with similar results. 

Agree that Fondop will benefit with coaching from Jeffers but he needs to be more mobile and less like a post box. What he would benefit more from is somebody playing along side him and I don't mean wide, I mean more like Frankie and Stitch used to play, one off the other.

As for formation, with this squad it has to be 4-4-2.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, League one forever said:

Agreed-  he needs a lot longer than 6 games. But equally he can’t above debate if the poor run continues- just because the squad isn’t amazing.

That's a good point. Including loanees we have, what, 33 players in the squad (may include scholars)? I know the game has changed and you can't win any league with 17-18 players anymore, but 33 if that's the number seems excessive at this level, and expensive. Not easy I know but we need more quality, less quantity.

Just now, Worcester Owl said:

That's a good point. Including loanees we have, what, 33 players in the squad (may include scholars)? I know the game has changed and you can't win any league with 17-18 players anymore, but 33 if that's the number seems excessive at this level, and expensive. Not easy I know but we need more quality, less quantity.

We always seem to have a bloated squad. I think that's a symptom of dreadful summer recruitment every season - we're constantly having to replace crocks or poor players with a massive influx of loanees and free transfers, more often than not with a new manager.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

If that figure of 33 includes scholars then I personally do not count the figure as 33. How many first team squad players are there and how many are injured...six, maybe? I don't see him as having many options on the player front but tactics is a different matter.