MATCH: vs Chester (H) 15/10/22 FA Cup 4th Rd Qual πŸ†

1 minute ago, True Tic said:

Just read Unsworths comments on the game and he says on a few occasions it’s time to bring some new blood in. Soon hopefullyΒ 

Did anyone else interrupt this as a dig/hint to the board ? Said they need help ect. I dunno it seemed off to me.Β 

1 hour ago, LaticsPete said:

Don’t we count the straightforward headers that Sheron and the lad from Stoke missed then? Or the fumbles from the Chester keeper on to the woodwork?

Btw , did Norman have a shot to save in the first half?

We had enough chances to win that game.

I was surprised we didn't test their keeper more when he fumbled the ball in the first half.

Β 

Today was the first game I have seen under Unsworth, I get the defensive approach, especially as we were shipping goals under Shez, keeping possession and moving the ball, whilst looking for an opening to exploit is nothing new.

Β 

The ability of some of the players to pick a pass is lacking, Gardener struggled to find a pass for the first 15 minutes of the game and Rooney sits deep, this leaves Fondop and Toillit up front to hold the ball up and create opportunities.

Β 

The second half was the real worry, the first 10 minutes or so we could not get hold of the ball and we sat deeper, we had lost our shape with Clarke going off, we then went from a 5-4-1 to a 5-3-3 then a 4-4-2, Luamba was playing at what a one point looked to be at wing back, he then got moved up alongside Fondop, where he seemed to cause Chester some problems.

Β 

It is pretty obvious we need to sign some quality players, someone with a bit of creativity and a decent striker would be a start, young kids aren't really the answer, although I do like the look of Carragher, which in fairness to Unsworth is one of his signings.

Β 

Overall, there is a lack of confidence in the team, that is evident when it comes to making the right decision with the ball, sometimes the short pass is the easy option and for most of the time yesterday, even with the clocking running down, that short pass saw the ball going backwards.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Please tell me we did not play 5 at the back ? Less talking Unsworth get the fucking results. Shot squad or not we had enough to beat them today !Β 

Β 

It was 8 at the back at times in the 2nd half.

4 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Did anyone else interrupt this as a dig/hint to the board ? Said they need help ect. I dunno it seemed off to me.Β 

I think he’s saying he’s now seen enough and he knows the current squad aren’t up to it which he’s probably known for a while . I think he’s tried to attain that unity with them that can sometimes change things for the better but he realises these will never really be β€œa unit”.Β 
Not sure about the dog at the board but because he’s already tried to sign the lad from scunnyΒ 

13 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

There’s a good piece in the Sunday Times today re Thomas Tuchel . Talking of his early success at Chelsea it goes β€œwhen a head coach wins so soon after his arrival, he would do well to remember that the squad was assembled by his predecessor β€œ.

Β 

The same applies to lack of success. The squad that Shez left was seriously inadequate- and I’m not making a big criticism of John. The environment, resources, rumours of change, will all have made it difficult. However Unsworth inherited a set of players who, in the main, aren’t good enough. Recruitment has to happen, and he knows that.I’m going to be patient with him and the owners , and hope they get the right recruits. (And that doesn’t necessarily mean random names thrown out on here).

Β 

Oh, and btw, the term β€œfitness” is being used confusingly. There’s fitness insofar as not being injured, and fitness as in conditioning.Β 

Β 

Β 

And who are the right recruits, like Rooney you mean?Β 

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

Shot squad or not we had enough to beat them today !Β 

We’ve been saying the same since the 1st game back in August!!!
Β 

Looking at the final score we clearly hadn’t……the observation that β€œ You can’t polish a turd” has never been more evident!!

Β 

The whole squad is absolutely abysmal….I would only keep maybe 4 or 5 of them and even a couple of them would be the loanees!

Β 

I’m pretty sure Unsworth didn’t instruct them to go deeper yesterday in the 2nd half, Chester had to try and force an equaliser, they upped the tempo and as in the majority of games this season we just crumbled!

Β 

442, 352, 433, formations are irrelevant…..we have a desperately poor squad and nothing will change until we get some decent players in!!!

• Like 2

It looks to me that Unsworth's approach so far has been to try and knock everything out of the players and then mould them and rebuild them into a much better version of themselves and try and mould them to a different battling unit.Β 

Β 

I have not been in the army but this i understand is what happened in yesteryear (maybe same today?).Β 

Β 

The players look a bit confused as to what they should be doing, they certainly have done since the Wrexham game, Clark addressed the fans when the players came over at Maidenhead and said to one lad "Thanks for the kind words, we are a work-in-progress" (just shows atmosphere not as toxic as some had made out).Β 

Β 

I keep waiting for the team to ignite and the penny drop and us to blow some opposition away one day, thought yesterday might have been the day after a bright start but we reverted to type and the engine spluttered again.Β 

Β 

We are all desperate for the players and team to succeed, we all like the sound of the way the club is going off the pitch and the structure being put in place to improve the playing environment - the B team, a coaching staff, conditioning coach etc. The team is coughing and spluttering along at the moment, just waiting for the ignition to send the players into a much better place and then watch the sparks fly........ let it be Tuesday when it all comes togetherΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, hillside blue said:

We had enough chances to win that game.

I was surprised we didn't test their keeper more when he fumbled the ball in the first half.

Β 

Today was the first game I have seen under Unsworth, I get the defensive approach, especially as we were shipping goals under Shez, keeping possession and moving the ball, whilst looking for an opening to exploit is nothing new.

Β 

The ability of some of the players to pick a pass is lacking, Gardener struggled to find a pass for the first 15 minutes of the game and Rooney sits deep, this leaves Fondop and Toillit up front to hold the ball up and create opportunities.

Β 

The second half was the real worry, the first 10 minutes or so we could not get hold of the ball and we sat deeper, we had lost our shape with Clarke going off, we then went from a 5-4-1 to a 5-3-3 then a 4-4-2, Luamba was playing at what a one point looked to be at wing back, he then got moved up alongside Fondop, where he seemed to cause Chester some problems.

Β 

It is pretty obvious we need to sign some quality players, someone with a bit of creativity and a decent striker would be a start, young kids aren't really the answer, although I do like the look of Carragher, which in fairness to Unsworth is one of his signings.

Β 

Overall, there is a lack of confidence in the team, that is evident when it comes to making the right decision with the ball, sometimes the short pass is the easy option and for most of the time yesterday, even with the clocking running down, that short pass saw the ball going backwards.

I think we should stick with the 5-3-3 if we can get away with it

• Like 3

One problem is we persist in playing three at the back when there isn't a decent wing back at the club.

Gardner naturally sits deep but couldn't tackle a Big Mac and one of our better? players, Sheron, is naturally a defensive midfielder so we're desperately short of forward-looking players.

Anyone who went yesterday could see we lost the impetus of an early goal and dropped deeper and deeper allowing the opposition, who weren't very good, to gain a foothold in the game.

Β 

This sitting deep way of playingΒ couldΒ prove effective if we played somebody up front close to Fondop be it Rooney, Tollit, Luamba or even Harry Vaughan.Β 

We need someone to feed off Fondop's knock-downs, hopefully Hope may be back soon.

1 hour ago, True Tic said:

I think he’s saying he’s now seen enough and he knows the current squad aren’t up to it which he’s probably known for a while . I think he’s tried to attain that unity with them that can sometimes change things for the better but he realises these will never really be β€œa unit”.Β 
Not sure about the dog at the board but because he’s already tried to sign the lad from scunnyΒ 

Β 

I did think you were barking up the wrong tree there.Β πŸ˜†

4 hours ago, C.O.JONES said:

On chances created yesterday it should have finished 5-1 to Chester, funny really as that was the Latics formation, I'm not counting midfield as we didn't have one. Every throw in we won went backwards and usually ended up with NormanΒ  who then rolled it to Maynard who then passed it sideways for someone to hoof up to Fondop who moved like a mobility scooter on a cobbled street. Lost the ball as he was on his own and when Chester had the ball we never at any time pressed or won the ball back. It was a shambles from start to finish, shite tactics and formation and to add insult to injury, Burgess (who should be playing for the under 12's) was added to the debacle.

l don't agree but that opening sentence is one of the best lve ever seen!!!

18 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Bets I have seen us play is against Scunthorpe when we played 4 at the back in the second half, it’s not rocket science.Β 

Β 

While I think we've played better than the Scunthorpe game, the times I think we've played better we also played 4 at the back

Β 

I have been saying since pre season that most of the on field issues start with the 5 at the back. The players don't look comfortable in that system and the extra person being moved back into that defensive line seems to be what causes the opposition midfield to have so much time

Β 

I brought a neutral with me to the Chesterfield game and it took him literally 30 seconds to say to me they didn't look comfortable in 5 at the back

David UnsworthΒ rightly points out, something we can all see, that many of our current first team players are clearly not fit enough to last more than sixty minutes.

Also, he correctly states that the players drop deeper as the game progresses and look to defend a lead rather than pushing for a second goal.

To a certain extent, the first contributes to the second.

Β 

He also talks of returning players and of two coming in which indicates that he is not happy with the quality he has at his disposal.

All of this is plain to see and, to a certain extent, the approach he is adopting understandable. Though his preference for the likes of Cooper over Vaughan is perplexing.

Β 

Generally we are overly defensive and play with a lone striker. Is it any wonder that the players lack any ambition to attack in such a system? Furthermore, this approach also leads to players not wanting the ball, with clearances being rushed and passing lacking precision.

Β 

The only way we will see improvement is if two or three of our better players (Hogan, Angol, Hope) return from injury AND the club brings in two or three good additions.

Until this happens, it will be more of the same.

• Like 1

We appear to be putting Harry Vaughan on a pedestal as some kind of Hybrid of Andy Ritchie and Phil Foden. I fear that we will be over building him up, he's still only 18 has quite abit to learn and probably abit to develop physically too but he does have talent. I think his time will come eventually but let's not hold him up as the answer to our prayers just yet.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

We appear to be putting Harry Vaughan on a pedestal as some kind of Hybrid of Andy Ritchie and Phil Foden. I fear that we will be over building him up, he's still only 18 has quite abit to learn and probably abit to develop physically too but he does have talent. I think his time will come eventually but let's not hold him up as the answer to our prayers just yet.

Β 

No one's doing that - all we're doing is simply saying give Vaughan a try.

Β 

It's woeful at the moment.Β  Terrible tactics and terrible approach to games, but this theory that there are no other options is a bit of a myth.

Β 

We could play Luamba up front with Fondop.Β  We could give Vaughan a try.Β  We could try four at the back.Β  But we're not doing any of these things.

Β 

Our go-to approach to games is something that none of the players seem particularly comfortable with.

Β 

The squad is lacking quality, but I don't believe we're getting the best out of them...

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

said nobody ever.

Β 

why not give him 20 minutes against a division 6 team was the last thing l heard people saying.

5 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Β 

No one's doing that - all we're doing is simply saying give Vaughan a try.

Β 

It's woeful at the moment.Β  Terrible tactics and terrible approach to games, but this theory that there are no other options is a bit of a myth.

Β 

We could play Luamba up front with Fondop.Β  We could give Vaughan a try.Β  We could try four at the back.Β  But we're not doing any of these things.

Β 

Our go-to approach to games is something that none of the players seem particularly comfortable with.

Β 

The squad is lacking quality, but I don't believe we're getting the best out of them...

Β 

Yet 4 managers have now said that he isn't worth a regular start yet or even time off the bench that is quite telling there must be a reason for that.Β Β 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GlossopLatic said:

Β 

Yet 4 managers have now said that he isn't worth a regular start yet or even time off the bench that is quite telling there must be a reason for that.Β Β 

Β 

But then again Premier League (at the time) Burnley saw enough to bid for him...