MATCH: vs Chester (H) 15/10/22 FA Cup 4th Rd Qual 🏆

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

The only way we will see improvement is if two or three of our better players (Hogan, Angol, Hope) return from injury AND the club brings in two or three good additions.

Rhino says it will take three months to get the squad fit so how long for these returning injured players?

Heres a thought, if your squad isnt fit enough for 90 mins then go gung ho in the first half with 2 stikers with tollitt and rooney nearby to try and score a couple in the first half then shut up shop when a decent lead has been accrued.

No point being dead on your legs with a 1 nil lead and inviting pressure like its the alamo. Only one thing can occur from there and so hard to then chase the game for another goal.

4-4-2 with rooney off a wing or 4-1(sheron) - 3-2 way to go.

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

But then again Premier League (at the time) Burnley saw enough to bid for him...

And decided not buy him.

Don't get me wrong I haven't got a problem with him. I'm just not sure he is the answer to the midfield issue yet.

The creation of the B team though will probably benefit him more than anyonelse. It will get him playing a higher standard of football than youth team football which might be that final bridge he needs to cross to play first team football regularly 

5 minutes ago, ljriley90 said:

Heres a thought, if your squad isnt fit enough for 90 mins then go gung ho in the first half with 2 stikers with tollitt and rooney nearby to try and score a couple in the first half then shut up shop when a decent lead has been accrued.

No point being dead on your legs with a 1 nil lead and inviting pressure like its the alamo. Only one thing can occur from there and so hard to then chase the game for another goal.

4-4-2 with rooney off a wing or 4-1(sheron) - 3-2 way to go.

With a back 8 it seems not conceding first is the priority. I dread to think what will happen when we go one down.

3 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

And decided not buy him.

Don't get me wrong I haven't got a problem with him. I'm just not sure he is the answer to the midfield issue yet.

The creation of the B team though will probably benefit him more than anyonelse. It will get him playing a higher standard of football than youth team football which might be that final bridge he needs to cross to play first team football regularly 

Well Abdallah, in his wisdom, turned the bid down, I thought..

Vaughan might not be the answer, but then he hasn't been given the opportunity to prove he's not.

The definition of someone trying the same thing and expecting different results is...??

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Surely no bigger risk than with Cooper or Gardner?

Garner was already there. they must have seen Cooper as the 'safer' option.

Rhino shudnt really be sayin stuff like 'they tend to sit deep' when he is making an 'ok lads, time to sit deep' substitution

Huge 15 days coming up for us I think with 3 tough away league games, Yeovil at home and tomorrow's FA Cup reply at Chester.

It doesn't bare thinking about us being knocked out of the FACup before the first round, and starting November in the National League relegation zone, but reality is beginning to sink in that we are in the shit, we have shit players, and will need some time and some luck to get out of it.

12 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Huge 15 days coming up for us I think with 3 tough away league games, Yeovil at home and tomorrow's FA Cup reply at Chester.

It doesn't bare thinking about us being knocked out of the FACup before the first round, and starting November in the National League relegation zone, but reality is beginning to sink in that we are in the shit, we have shit players, and will need some time and some luck to get out of it.

Pretty sure it won't get to that. 

Win on penalties tomorrow and then pick up 9 points from next 3 games...

Several on here were adamant that any half-decent manager would have THIS squad/team far better organised (and getting better results) than "the dinosaur" (as they often referred to him). Unsworth clearly hasn't achieved that and, the more you analyse the Chester performance, the more worried you get.

Now, either Unsworth's utterly dire as a manager or we accept that the squad is way, way off the mark (even at this level). If it's the latter, then Frank had better make some funds available quickly, otherwise his £12million investment will plummet faster than the pound after a Kamikaze Kwarteng mini budget.

Chester away, I think, is now pretty crucial for Unsworth. I say that, because, if he's incapable of getting any sort of tune out of the current squad/team, why would you risk allowing him to "splash the cash"? Management, first and foremost, is about a) getting the best out of what you have - and then b) building from there. 

Unsworth has to prove he's capable of a) for me.

I was delighted with the takeover but I went to Maidenhead and then to the Chester game. We have not progressed one iota - in fact, I`d say we have regressed on the playing front. It's a worry.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Chester away, I think, is now pretty crucial for Unsworth

In what respect? Christ sakes we’re 6 games into a complete new backroom.

They haven’t spent all this money to give them just a few games!!

They are here long haul and will be backed accordingly!!

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

I went to Maidenhead and then to the Chester game. We have not progressed one iota - in fact, I`d say we have regressed on the playing front. It's a worry.

I didn’t go to the cup game but the Maidenhead performance was dire for the full 90 minutes give or take a couple of five minute spells. Against Chester, going off the highlights and reports, it seems like we had a decent first half but then reverted to our usual ‘drop deep’ style of play. 
Is that a reasonable assessment on my part or am I way off the mark?

50 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Now, either Unsworth's utterly dire as a manager or we accept that the squad is way, way off the mark (even at this level). If it's the latter,

And who's fault is that? Non other than your Saint John.

51 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Chester away, I think, is now pretty crucial for Unsworth. I say that, because, if he's incapable of getting any sort of tune out of the current squad/team, why would you risk allowing him to "splash the cash"? Management, first and foremost, is about a) getting the best out of what you have - and then b) building from there.

And that is why they refused to give JS any more money as he hadn't got a clue about picking a player. How anybody expects this fella to get a tune out of the utter rubbish JS left us with defeats me.

54 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

or we accept that the squad is way, way off the mark (even at this level)

So actually accept this and try to move on.

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

In what respect? Christ sakes we’re 6 games into a complete new backroom.

They haven’t spent all this money to give them just a few games!!

They are here long haul and will be backed accordingly!!

Long-termism doesn't stand a chance with the short-termism world view which is the standard expectation nowadays. Your right, of course but so are the people who are concerned with the lack of a win since Unsworth took over, it's a definite monkey on his back and somehow, he needs to get rid of it and quickly. It's going to be a tightrope balancing act for him, unfortunately.

I'm honestly not expecting a win tomorrow night, which is a fucking sad state of affairs.

• Like 1