MATCH: vs Chester (H) 15/10/22 FA Cup 4th Rd Qual 🏆

31 minutes ago, latics22 said:

I don’t think for a second shez would have done as bad, even with just Tommy. Was the rhino around in the prehistoric age because he’s looking way more like a dinosaur than shez….

We were terrible under Shez in pretty much every game he managed this season.

1 hour ago, latics22 said:

There is a lot wrong here ! Shez was and still is being made a scapegoat for what’s wrong with the playing squad. He did his best with what he had, he had no support or budget. Suddenly money is available for players and a massive team around unsworth! Maybe he will come good. But his results are terrible. I don’t think for a second shez would have done as bad, even with just Tommy. Was the rhino around in the prehistoric age because he’s looking way more like a dinosaur than shez….

'the prehistoric age' 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

what 3000 years ago? no mate they didnt have Rhino's then, they evolved 500 years later when an elephant got with an aadvark 🙄

Edited by Monty Burns
got with
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

'the prehistoric age' 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

what 3000 years ago? no mate they didnt have Rhino's then, they evolved 500 years later when an elephant got with an aadvark 🙄

Pre historic age covers 2.5 million years and i believe rhinos did evolve a bit in that time...

Anyway, nothings going to change until the playing staff is upgraded. Unsworth seemed to say in his post match that he's had enough time to evaluate and knows that additions are needed. He will obviously have good contacts and knowledge of loan players buy we probably can't get those until Jan, which means looking at other none league sides in the short term. 

• Thanks 1

Unsy interview is baffling. 

He says we need more goals to settle us down, but plays one up front and 5 at the back. . . 

He says all the games are following the same pattern- well who is deciding the tactics and formation. . .

He seems to be conveniently forgetting that he is setting us up to not lose. Then wonders why we are short of goals. 

It really is down to the previous owners. They were going to liquidate us. John did his best to get a squad together, based on very limited resources along with a wing and a prayer. We were saved with a couple of weeks to go before the start of the season. Damage was done. We had a patchwork quilt of youngsters and journeymen. I think John did well to get the likes of Hogan and Sheron, with Gardner ready to join if the owner left, but it was all a bit of a dog's dinner. Now some people are actually blaming the new manager who has to pick up the pieces and miraculously make them better. Added to all of this has been a horrendous injury list. Fitness levels are poor. Ability levels with a lot of them are low. We have had a huge turnover in players, again. We need a bit of time.

Only one man and his brother to blame. What happened to 'as soon as they go I'll be back?' 

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Please tell me we did not play 5 at the back ? Less talking Unsworth get the fucking results. Shot squad or not we had enough to beat them today ! 

Err yes

Clarke

Okagbue

Maynard

Carragher

Roberts

with Sheron on Maynards toes playing as an holding mid and Gardner and Rooney not much further forward, literally a back five with an holding midfielder.

It doesn't work, it's shit to watch and it's about a negative as I've seen in about a decade at BP.

19 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Err yes

Clarke

Okagbue

Maynard

Carragher

Roberts

with Sheron on Maynards toes playing as an holding mid and Gardner and Rooney not much further forward, literally a back five with an holding midfielder.

It doesn't work, it's shit to watch and it's about a negative as I've seen in about a decade at BP.

Brilliant. I’ll give Tuesday a miss based on that I think. Pathetic. Fuck of Unsworth (not calling for his head) pathetic. 

8 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Brilliant. I’ll give Tuesday a miss based on that I think. Pathetic. Fuck of Unsworth (not calling for his head) pathetic. 

Wash your mouth out!  That's the person figure-heading our future infrastructure you're having a go at...

It's a learning curve for Frank, Joe, Darren et al, and nothing but love for their intent but I fear they might have dropped a fairly expensive bollock here.

2 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

It really is down to the previous owners. They were going to liquidate us. John did his best to get a squad together, based on very limited resources along with a wing and a prayer. We were saved with a couple of weeks to go before the start of the season. Damage was done. We had a patchwork quilt of youngsters and journeymen. I think John did well to get the likes of Hogan and Sheron, with Gardner ready to join if the owner left, but it was all a bit of a dog's dinner. Now some people are actually blaming the new manager who has to pick up the pieces and miraculously make them better. Added to all of this has been a horrendous injury list. Fitness levels are poor. Ability levels with a lot of them are low. We have had a huge turnover in players, again. We need a bit of time.

Only one man and his brother to blame. What happened to 'as soon as they go I'll be back?' 

At least someone talks sense.

7 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Always worry when managers reference fitness, seems like a cop out.

Under normal circumstances, I'd agree. It's the go-to thing that new managers say and I always think it's an easy excuse for them. But on this occasion, I reckon he's right. We could all see under Sheri that they were massively unfit. Some even mentioned it during the pre-season matches...

On chances created yesterday it should have finished 5-1 to Chester, funny really as that was the Latics formation, I'm not counting midfield as we didn't have one. Every throw in we won went backwards and usually ended up with Norman  who then rolled it to Maynard who then passed it sideways for someone to hoof up to Fondop who moved like a mobility scooter on a cobbled street. Lost the ball as he was on his own and when Chester had the ball we never at any time pressed or won the ball back. It was a shambles from start to finish, shite tactics and formation and to add insult to injury, Burgess (who should be playing for the under 12's) was added to the debacle.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, C.O.JONES said:

On chances created yesterday it should have finished 5-1 to Chester, funny really as that was the Latics formation, I'm not counting midfield as we didn't have one. Every throw in we won went backwards and usually ended up with Norman  who then rolled it to Maynard who then passed it sideways for someone to hoof up to Fondop who moved like a mobility scooter on a cobbled street. Lost the ball as he was on his own and when Chester had the ball we never at any time pressed or won the ball back. It was a shambles from start to finish, shite tactics and formation and to add insult to injury, Burgess (who should be playing for the under 12's) was added to the debacle.

Don’t we count the straightforward headers that Sheron and the lad from Stoke missed then? Or the fumbles from the Chester keeper on to the woodwork?

Btw , did Norman have a shot to save in the first half?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

Don’t we count the straightforward headers that Sheron and the lad from Stoke missed then? Or the fumbles from the Chester keeper on to the woodwork?

Btw , did Norman have a shot to save in the first half?

No I'm obviously not.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

We can blame the Lemsagams for alot of things. We can certainly blame them for having to qualify for the 1st round of the FA cup. But I'm not sure we can blame them for scraping a draw at home to a 6th tier side. The players we had available should have been good enough to beat them.

We appear to be doing everything right off the pitch but the 90 minutes on it is what is really letting us down and that is the most critical part of the week.

Unsworth needs to get a win it's a monkey on his back at the moment. On 4 occasions we have taken the lead in games and on 4 occasions its slipped he needs to find a solution to this quickly. This squad got the last manager the sack they will get him the sack too if this carries on.

I understand we are going through a process of transition. I think long term the future is bright but that bright future does depend on us picking up a few wins in games like yesterday its not a hard hurdle to get over.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 2

It’s early days and I’m delighted with who’s taken on the club. 
But I agree this squad time and time again now have shown they aren’t collectively up to the task and they could easily take Unsworth down too. 
I think with everybody fit for a period of time  (which is clearly never going to happen ) we are just about good enough to stay in this league at mid table . Factor in the injuries and it’s worrying . 

15 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Too many fans had turned against Shez, I know, but has Unsworth won those same fans over? One fan said to me, "It's a results business, stop living on sentiment; any half-decent manager would get a better tune out of our squad than Sheridan" in explaining why he had to go. Well, looking at Shez's last 5 games and Unsworth's first 5 :-

Shez - won 2, drawn 1, lost 2        (7 points)

Unsy - won 0, drawn 3, lost 2       (3 points)

That's effectively giving Unsworth a "free ride" and one point today by pretending it's a league game. We should be hammering Chester; we didn't and that (already) has to be a worry.

So, who is the better manager then in this results-driven business?

I know it's still relatively early days but it won't be much longer before the fans "turn" and we are back to square one calling for the manager's head. We cannot continue such madness. I often ponder if, when we decided to let Shez go, we may have been better calling upon someone like Peter Clarke. I just can't imagine a "Peter Clarke" team rolling over and having their belly tickled like this one does. 

I think, one day, Peter Clarke will make a very good manager. He really is a natural born leader - might it have been a great opportunity for him to have "cut his teeth" with us at this level?

At present, most of our eggs seem to be being placed in the ex-Everton basket. Let's hope and pray that the basket doesn't turn into a case anytime soon!

Think Selim had a better record after 5 games and that's saying something. Think he was Won 1 Drew 3 Lost 1

We seem to have a placed a great deal of faith in this management team, hopefully they come good but people calling for patience can't point me to any evidence why it is such a great management team we've assembled. There is literally no evidence as they have no experience in First team management why it will definitely work. If things haven't improved by January and we are staring relegation in the face, do we just stick blindly with what we've got or does the club act?

• Like 2

I get it he inherited an unfit team and he's using that as an excuse but he's brought in one player in Rooney whose as bad as the rest if not worse, way off what we need at the minute and you can see why Pete Wild let him go at Barrow as he's a liability, that showing from him and Gardner in the centre of the park was cringeworthy yesterday I was embarrassed for them, two seasoned pros who couldn't pass a ball 5 yards, in the first 5 minutes Gardner played the ball straight out or gave it away 3 or 4 times and he's supposedly one of our better players. If we didn't have Carragher and Okagbue we'd be in deep shit because those two are our best players.

• Like 2

There’s a good piece in the Sunday Times today re Thomas Tuchel . Talking of his early success at Chelsea it goes “when a head coach wins so soon after his arrival, he would do well to remember that the squad was assembled by his predecessor “.

The same applies to lack of success. The squad that Shez left was seriously inadequate- and I’m not making a big criticism of John. The environment, resources, rumours of change, will all have made it difficult. However Unsworth inherited a set of players who, in the main, aren’t good enough. Recruitment has to happen, and he knows that.I’m going to be patient with him and the owners , and hope they get the right recruits. (And that doesn’t necessarily mean random names thrown out on here).

Oh, and btw, the term “fitness” is being used confusingly. There’s fitness insofar as not being injured, and fitness as in conditioning. 

• Like 2