MATCH: vs Chester (H) 15/10/22 FA Cup 4th Rd Qual ๐Ÿ†

1 minute ago, GlossopLatic said:

ย 

Apart from his goal how did he play?

ย 

Not much to do so not a real test, he was injured late on when winningย ย a last ditch tackle, looks to me he will be out for some time.

• Thanks 1

Too many fans had turned against Shez, I know, but has Unsworth won those same fans over? One fan said to me, "It's a results business, stop living on sentiment; any half-decent manager would get a better tune out of our squad than Sheridan" in explaining why he had to go. Well, looking at Shez's last 5 games and Unsworth's first 5 :-

ย 

Shez - won 2, drawn 1, lost 2ย  ย  ย  ย  (7 points)

Unsy - won 0, drawn 3, lost 2ย  ย  ย  ย (3 points)

ย 

That's effectively giving Unsworth a "free ride" and one point today by pretending it's a league game. We should be hammering Chester; we didn't and that (already) has to be a worry.

ย 

So, who is the better manager then in this results-driven business?

ย 

I know it's still relatively early days but it won't be much longer before the fans "turn" and we are back to square one calling for the manager's head. We cannot continue such madness. I often ponder if, when we decided to let Shez go, we may have been better calling upon someone like Peter Clarke. I just can't imagine a "Peter Clarke" team rolling over and having their belly tickled like this one does.ย 

ย 

I think, one day, Peter Clarke will make a very good manager. He really is a natural born leader - might it have been a great opportunity for him to have "cut his teeth" with us at this level?

ย 

At present, most of our eggs seem to be being placed in the ex-Everton basket. Let's hope and pray that the basket doesn't turn into a case anytime soon!

ย 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wiseowl said:

Too many fans had turned against Shez, I know, but has Unsworth won those same fans over? One fan said to me, "It's a results business, stop living on sentiment; any half-decent manager would get a better tune out of our squad than Sheridan" in explaining why he had to go. Well, looking at Shez's last 5 games and Unsworth's first 5 :-

ย 

ย 

That's effectively giving Unsworth a "free ride" and one point today by pretending it's a league game. We should be hammering Chester; we didn't and that (already) has to be a worry.

ย 

ย 

I know it's still relatively early days but it won't be much longer before the fans "turn" and we are back to square one calling for the manager's head. We cannot continue such madness. I often ponder if, when we decided to let Shez go, we may have been better calling upon someone like Peter Clarke. I just can't imagine a "Peter Clarke" team rolling over and having their belly tickled like this one does.ย 

ย 

I think, one day, Peter Clarke will make a very good manager. He really is a natural born leader - might it have been a great opportunity for him to have "cut his teeth" with us at this level?

ย 

At present, most of our eggs seem to be being placed in the ex-Everton basket. Let's hope and pray that the basket doesn't turn into a case anytime soon!

ย 

ย 

Watched the team training this week and the main drills involved the back 5.

With 3 defensive midfielders sat in front of then against lower league Chester it was no surprise we were backs to the wall again.

ย 

ย 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

ย 

With 3 defensive midfielders sat in front of then against lower league Chester it was no surprise we were backs to the wall again.

ย 

Your honest early views on Unsworth BP?

7 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Sheridan was doing a terrible job, bizarre that you keep trying to suggest he wasn't.

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Sheridan was doing a terrible job, bizarre that you keep trying to suggest he wasn't.

ย 

It was time for Shez to go, but only if someone better came in.ย 

ย 

I'm not convinced we've got that..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

My view deyres (as described several times) is that Shez had to recruit rapidly on a shoe string i.e. simply get the nos. in so we at least have a squad to compete with, under the previous regime. I don't think he was doing a terrible job with what he had available. If he was then how do you describe the job Unsworth is doing?

4 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Your honest early views on Unsworth BP?

ย 

Working with the same poor players as Shez, but too defensive minded, you don't need 8 players at the back.

He needs to sign proper wingers and a striker to partner Fondup, surely big Joe must be telling him him attacking football is what the fans want, not this awful backs to the wall tactic.ย 

ย 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

My view deyres (as described several times) is that Shez had to recruit rapidly on a shoe string i.e. simply get the nos. in so we at least have a squad to compete with, under the previous regime. I don't think he was doing a terrible job with what he had available. If he was then how do you describe the job Unsworth is doing?

One has 20 years more managerial experience than the other. I'd suggest the rookie with no experience of the level is probably doing as expected. And I can't believe Sheridan had no knowledge a takeover was in the offing so don't buy into the whole he had to throw a squad together narrative.

7 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Two managers can't get anything out of most of this squad, that tells me Frank needs to get out the cheque book quickly or crowds will be back to 3,000.

There's been nothing on that front since the failed attempt to buy Nuttall. I don't think there will be, I feel Unsworth will wait until Hope, Porter, Hogan and Angol are back to assess his options. I don't believe for one minute Unsworth is telling the team to sit back and defend a 1-0 lead. They had opportunity to increase the lead but didn't and that is were their mental frailty is kicking in with a lack of belief and the inevitable salvaging a draw from the jaws of victory.

Unsworth knows their weakness, however, calling them out in public could result in even more of a collapse and those draws will become defeats again. We have to wait till the backroom staff and the set-up begin to make a positive and tangible impact which is not going to be overnight. The damage this season has already been done with poor recruitment and a total lack of preparation. The task is to repair the damage and keep the club in this division, which again, is not going to be easy.

ย 

There are some total fuckwits on Twitter.

I think some latch onto the hashtag just for the WUM factor.
Assholes.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

ย 

ย 

ย 

How thoroughly fucking depressing that is to hear, so much for the fortress BP we were promised, opportunity to play a bit today but for some reason our rather expensive coaching team seem to think we can go out, get a one nil lead and defend it like AC Milan, when in reality we play more like AC Milnrow.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Itโ€™s his team. The endย 

Enjoyed that second half, cannot understand why you lot sat back and stopped using the width. Rooney hasn't changed since he played for us and Maynard is a liability at the back for you.

Anyway a well earned draw and replay this Tuesday. If anyone wants to know anything about our place message me.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

ย 

Working with the same poor players as Shez, but too defensive minded, you don't need 8 players at the back.

He needs to sign proper wingers and a striker to partner Fondup, surely big Joe must be telling him him attacking football is what the fans want, not this awful backs to the wall tactic.ย 

ย 

Easy on paper. Sign this , sign the other.ย 

3 minutes ago, PhilChester said:

Enjoyed that second half, cannot understand why you lot sat back and stopped using the width. Rooney hasn't changed since he played for us and Maynard is a liability at the back for you.

Anyway a well earned draw and replay this Tuesday. If anyone wants to know anything about our place message me.

It's what we do, stand off the opposition, let them have the ball and see how long it is before we concede. I reckon the players have a sweep at half time with the winner being the one with the goal time nearest to the actual time. After the 1st half I was sure you wouldn't score.ย 

We were a shambles the 2nd half and my only surprise being you didn't win.ย 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

Easy on paper. Sign this , sign the other.ย 

ย 

Ridiculous statement, the club has made hundreds of thousands of ยฃs on extra gate money revenue.ย 

Stay with this lot of players and we will be the Conference North club next season.

I have said players like Haughton (2 goals again today), Colclough and a striker would make a vast difference.ย 

We will see some signings I'm sure of that, hopefully forwards.

ย 

Edited by BP1960

Unsworth post-match thoughts are up online. Once again, he states he is not asking the players to defend the lead and better players are needed, which may also have a detrimental effect on the payers although to me, it should gee them up. Fitness levels are not good and it could take three months before they are at a level needed, also looks like Clarke has broke his hand.

The recruitment just was no where near ambitious enough, in fact it was fairly piss poor. I guess that can be put down to the distraction of the change of ownership. Our attendances this season are at a high not seen since Shez first left, when we were challenging for top 6 in League One. We're the 2nd highest in the league. We need to flex and use that revenue to get much, much better players than we have.

Edited by PlayItLivo

10 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

ย 

Ridiculous statement, the club has made hundreds of thousands of ยฃs on extra gate money revenue.ย 

Stay with this lot of players and we will be the Conference North club next season.

I have said players like Haughton, Colclough and a striker would make a vast difference.ย 

BP, we don't know what is going on behind the scenes. Unsworth may be trying to bring players in and hopefully it's sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

ย 

I have said players like Haughton, Colclough and a striker would make a vast difference.ย 

ย 

Nobody has said we wonโ€™t. Itโ€™s the who and when that is up for discussion.ย 
If the club doesnโ€™t do as you recommend you seem to take umbrage.ย 

1 minute ago, Wardie said:

Unsworth post-match thoughts are up online. Once again, he states he is not asking the players to defend the lead and better players are needed, which may also have a detrimental effect on the payers although to me, it should gee them up. Fitness levels are not good and it could take three months before they are at a level needed, also looks like Clarke has broke his hand.

ย 

Will he change to attacking football on Tuesday? don't think so as we have very few forward thinking players.

Harry Vaughan is one, but DU had a chance to bring him and preferred Luamba, who just isn't cutting it IMO.