Unsworth

3 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

If we sign a load of new players in the summer and get promoted next season I wouldn't be surprised to see comments along the line of "anyone could have got us promoted with that budget and with the standard of teams in the league". Without a hint of irony.

100%
the same people who say 'well he never did that playing for us' whilst talking about some 16 year old they spent six months boooooing and harranguing out of the club ten years ago from their main stand throne.

Edited by Monty Burns
harranguing is a random word isnt it

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

because of Abdallah's interfering. 

Just goes to show - a decent manager can't operate with bad owners but a not very good manager seems to be able to operate with good owners. Only Wrexham and Notts County have picked up more points than us in 2023!

He was also crap at Doncaster and Salford. He's done very well at Orient and was fortunate that a man in China ate a bat on a market stall and the football season finished in February, but let's not disguise the fact he was a terrible manager for us and got us relegated from L1 despite having our strongest squad for years. He has the blood of this football club on his hands...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

He was also crap at Doncaster and Salford. He's done very well at Orient and was fortunate that a man in China ate a bat on a market stall and the football season finished in February, but let's not disguise the fact he was a terrible manager for us and got us relegated from L1 despite having our strongest squad for years. He has the blood of this football club on his hands...

Sorry….IMO that’s absolute bollocks!!

The whole football club was fucked, players coming in unannounced, players not being paid, Abdallah behaving like a complete twat, alienating players and sacking people on a weekly basis!!

I was at Northampton that day…the players weren’t up for it and afterwards it was  painfully obvious why!!!

We played our best football for years when Wellens was our manager until it all imploded!!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

If we sign a load of new players in the summer and get promoted next season I wouldn't be surprised to see comments along the line of "anyone could have got us promoted with that budget and with the standard of teams in the league". Without a hint of irony.

I could 😉

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

I could 😉

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

The whole football club was fucked, players coming in unannounced, players not being paid, Abdallah behaving like a complete twat, alienating players and sacking people on a weekly basis!!

I was at Northampton that day…the players weren’t up for it and afterwards it was  painfully obvious why!!!

We played our best football for years when Wellens was our manager until it all imploded!!

Sorry, the players are professionals and should have been up for it no matter what.

My company had terrible managers and announced massive staff cuts, but I never took it out on the public 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Sorry, the players are professionals and should have been up for it no matter what.

My company had terrible managers and announced massive staff cuts, but I never took it out on the public 

By that rationale it doesn't matter who owns us as its all down to the players/manager. Lets get the Lemsagams back.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Surely if good managers/owners who create positive working environments can have a positive effect on their workforce, the opposite could be true also?

• Like 2

Just now, nzlatic said:

Surely if good managers/owners who create positive working environments can have a positive effect on their workforce, the opposite could be true also?

Morale may be low, but you don't hear of nurses giving up on patients. So why should footballers give up in a vital relegation battle with thousands of supporters expecting them to give their very best?

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

Bit the results under Pete Wild weren't credited to AL...

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Morale may be low, but you don't hear of nurses giving up on patients. So why should footballers give up in a vital relegation battle with thousands of supporters expecting them to give their very best?

People in every single job in the world perform better if their morale is high.  It's just mad to suggest otherwise.  These are humans who had been completely disrespected, who had seen their mates treated appallingly, had seen rank amateurs imported by the no-nothing sporting director to potentially take their jobs etc. etc.  How on earth could that not have an effect?  There's a nurse currently on trial for murdering numerous babies - they aren't all saints!

Edited by Dave_Og
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, League one forever said:

You’ve repeatedly told us the squad is poor, and yet we are 4th in the form table since Christmas. Turns out to be another big call you’ve got wrong. 

Who would have thought that increasing the player wage bill would lead to improved results? Consider me staggered #staggered 

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

Who would have thought that increasing the player wage bill would lead to improved results? Consider me staggered #staggered 

Obviously not you. 😂

You told us multiple times that the increased wage bill had bought shite. Turns out that shite has us 4th since Christmas. 

#whenwillyougetabigcallright. 

7 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Obviously not you. 😂

You told us multiple times that the increased wage bill had bought shite. Turns out that shite has us 4th since Christmas. 

#whenwillyougetabigcallright. 

It has bought shite. Just a better standard of shite.

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Morale may be low, but you don't hear of nurses giving up on patients. 

Really? Having been visiting someone intensively for a while now in hospital, I can tell you that some nurses should not be paid in washers. Not all angels by a bloody long chalk.

It used to be done "for the love of the job" etc. - not anymore it ain't.

P.S. I have witnessed some excellent nurses too - just way too many incompetent and being carried now - the NHS has major problems - and it's nothing to do with bloody funding.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Really? Having been visiting someone intensively for a while now in hospital, I can tell you that some nurses should not be paid in washers. Not all angels by a bloody long chalk.

P.S. I have witnessed some excellent nurses too - just way too many incompetent and being carried now - the NHS has major problems - and it's nothing to do with bloody funding.

A big part of the problem is that nobody is allowed to criticise the NHS - it's a sacred cow. Whether successive governments, management, or front line staff are to blame - sometimes all three - it's not working at its best and I agree simply throwing more money at it/the medics will not per se solve the problems. I just wish somebody would look at other health services around the world and come up with a plan to cherry pick the best-working features but maybe that's too simplistic. It will probably need a Labour rather than Tory Health Secretary to carry out major reform of the NHS, and Wes Streeting has been making some very interesting statements, but I wonder if Starmer would have the cojones to see through a reform programme.

Getting back to football (!), I agree with @Dave_Og and others that morale is critically important. Unlike (usually) health workers, footballers can be sacked/demoted and surely nobody can deny that the Lemsagam regime had a ruinous effect on player confidence. To blame Wellens for the L1 relegation is very short sighted.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Back in those great old days when nurses did it "for the love of the job" what was nurses pay like in comparison to say, cost of food or the cost of buying a house?

Whether it's to do with the funding or not, it's definitely to do with the government who've been running it for the last 13 years.

Sorry, couldn't help myself with a non-football post 😬

• Like 2