Unsworth

36 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Sorry to piss on your bonfire but you're off your head if you think that's happening 

We're 4th based on the results of the 2nd half of the season. Not a stretch to say he might be able to do that over a full season.

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Unsworth is doing a bad job, it's all relative and if you can't see that there is little point having a debate.

Couple of things that may surprise you though alongside the train of thought you have now with regards to Unsworth is this, we currently have the second highest wage bill in the division so this myth that Unsworth is working with a load of shite is frankly bollocks.

We've took two of the divisions best strikers (allegedly) from other teams and have our biggest wage bill since Abdallah went  stupid, we now have fans fawning over Unsworth (well the odd one like yourself) like he's the next Pep despite us being unable to string two passes together the majority of the time looking almost clueless and comprehensively outplayed by teams like Southend who haven't been paid for two months and have been under a transfer embargo for most of the season.

Now I think this divisions that bad that Unsworth with 3 or 4 quality signings will get us out of it but for me that will be more to do with the position he's inherited and the backing he'll get, anything but top three next season will be failure for me because there will be literally no excuses.

It shouldn't need pointing out, but someone acknowledging an upturn in results over the last 4 months and giving a bit of credit to Unsworth for that form doesn't mean they are "fawning over him like he's the next Pep".

its funny how those of us not consumed by negativity are saying how we believe we could build on the clear statistical improvements and how it is an obvious improvement with potential to build from.

whereas those engulfed by seeming misery can out and out foretell us 100% what the future holds.

hardly even bothering with the 'ld love to be wrong, but..' anymore just straight up 'this WON'T happen, but this WILL happen'

move over mystic meg its time for mystic meh

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

We shall see. Its the form we are currently showing  not sure why you think it won't continue 

Think he's overspent his budget and I have a feeling he won't be getting anywhere near as much in his 2nd season.

Ofcourse, I hope you're right and I'm way off the mark

7 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Think he's overspent his budget and I have a feeling he won't be getting anywhere near as much in his 2nd season.

Ofcourse, I hope you're right and I'm way off the mark

I imagine he'll be within budget once all that shite contracted till the end of the season has gone

17 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Because it's not true? Otherwise owning a football club would be easy - sign best players in league, hire any idiot as manager, get promoted. Salford would have been promoted from league 2 ages ago.

Salford aren't really on my horizon - have they been signing the best players in League Two?

Owning a football club is not easy.  Frank's doing it well though and is setting an infrastructure up that might mean any idiot CAN succeed as manager.

With that in mind - I don't want an idiot in charge.  I want someone who will excel and make next season's promotion season fantastic.  We've waited 32 years for a promotion.  A high percentage of our fans weren't even born.  I want to want to go to every game - at the moment, I'm struggling to even want to watch it on the streaming service, in spite of the upturn in result.

Can Unsworth provide the sort of excitement we deserve in a promotion push?  The jury's very much out.  And there's no reason why he shouldn't be able to because everything else in place..

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Salford aren't really on my horizon - have they been signing the best players in League Two?

Owning a football club is not easy.  Frank's doing it well though and is setting an infrastructure up that might mean any idiot CAN succeed as manager.

With that in mind - I don't want an idiot in charge.  I want someone who will excel and make next season's promotion season fantastic.  We've waited 32 years for a promotion.  A high percentage of our fans weren't even born.  I want to want to go to every game - at the moment, I'm struggling to even want to watch it on the streaming service, in spite of the upturn in result.

Can Unsworth provide the sort of excitement we deserve in a promotion push?  The jury's very much out.  And there's no reason why he shouldn't be able to because everything else in place..

Excitement or wins? You want both? Big ask. I'll just take winning cos that's all that matters 

5 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Excitement or wins? You want both? Big ask. I'll just take winning cos that's all that matters 

I'll take the wins, but I don't think it's a particularly big ask for both given this division is largely rubbish, the backing he's already had and the backing he's going to get in the summer.

Might be a long season, promotion or otherwise if it's more of the same...

2 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I'll take the wins, but I don't think it's a particularly big ask for both given this division is largely rubbish, the backing he's already had and the backing he's going to get in the summer.

Might be a long season, promotion or otherwise if it's more of the same...

If we're in the playoffs that'll be the next thing. Not exciting enough. 

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Woah. That's not what you said last season when that City tit Curle was here...

I think you’ve got amnesia. .😁

You said you wanted him gone after 3 games, because you an unhealthy dislike of the man. I wanted to give him at least some time, and highlighted the tough circumstances he was working under. Which was a far lower budget than wellens, far inferior players, and a far more emboldened and rampant Mo by that stage.  Therefore he should be judged accordingly. You said that was waffle and you expected a 5-0 win every game. (Even though we didn’t have a single striker on the books) 

35 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Ideally I'd love a promotion push with lots of attractive attacking football. After that I'd be happy with just a promotion push, however we play. We've had enough spells in the last 20 years where we win the passing but lose the game.

Of course there'd be someone else they could bring in who might deliver both. But then again they might not. There's no way of guaranteeing it. At the moment for the 2nd half of the season we're getting the sort of results that would put us in the hunt for promotion next season. So there's something there to suggest sticking is the right thing to do. Twisting would be a gamble.

5 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Ideally I'd love a promotion push with lots of attractive attacking football. After that I'd be happy with just a promotion push, however we play. We've had enough spells in the last 20 years where we win the passing but lose the game.

Of course there'd be someone else they could bring in who might deliver both. But then again they might not. There's no way of guaranteeing it. At the moment for the 2nd half of the season we're getting the sort of results that would put us in the hunt for promotion next season. So there's something there to suggest sticking is the right thing to do. Twisting would be a gamble.

Yep, can't argue with any of that.

The doubts remain for many about Unsworth, but he's done just enough to be given another go next season.  Minimum the results have to continue, and as soon we start heading south he needs to be shown the door.

Pressure's on.  From game one..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I think you’ve got amnesia. .😁

You said you wanted him gone after 3 games, because you an unhealthy dislike of the man. I wanted to give him at least some time, and highlighted the tough circumstances he was working under. Which was a far lower budget than wellens, far inferior players, and a far more emboldened and rampant Mo by that stage.  Therefore he should be judged accordingly. You said that was waffle and you expected a 5-0 win every game. (Even though we didn’t have a single striker on the books) 

Conveniently forgetting we had Jacob Blyth again...

• Like 1

One thing that has been obvious to me is that Unsworth has been learning on the job this season. 
And as the season has progressed, he has got better at it. Even he would not deny that the early games and results were poor but he changed many of the players and the way we play to ensure that we didn’t fall any further.

If he continues in this way next season, I have no doubt that we will be challenging for promotion. 

For the moment, I will take a top half finish and hope that his learning curve continues - if it does then I want to be along for the ride 😃

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

We’re in the National League with bigger gates and income than nearly everyone else in it. It’s not that big an ask surely? 

1 hour ago, 100milesaway said:

One thing for sure, the players are pulling their tripe out for Rhino. So the players are pretty sure that something decent is about to happen.

I'll give you this and also credit Unsworth and his team for instilling this mentality, they certainly are playing for him and the players are buying in to him you can't deny him that, I'm just hopeful the football will improve because it's dire and that isn't an exaggeration, I just wish we went after teams more even if it meant us conceding the odd one which he seems shit scared to do incase we implode and concede 4 or 5.

13 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I'll give you this and also credit Unsworth and his team for instilling this mentality, they certainly are playing for him and the players are buying in to him you can't deny him that, I'm just hopeful the football will improve because it's dire and that isn't an exaggeration, I just wish we went after teams more even if it meant us conceding the odd one which he seems shit scared to do incase we implode and concede 4 or 5.

With Yarney, I don't see us conceding many, and if he brings in some better quality holding midfielders, he could afford to play Tollit on the left in a front 3. That would be exciting?

• Thanks 1

There has been enough of an improvement for him to get the start of next season

When he's had a full pre season and with the better quality of player that will be available to sign in summer, if it's bad after 10 games we should make the change

Although, given they were apparently undecided on offering Forshaw a contract, if he doesn't play the next 2 meaningless games so we can see what he's got vs senior players, that would be a big question mark 

47 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Yes, at least he's got them playing for each other, unlike the terrible body language of some of the Manchester United players  tonight and their dozy goalkeeper 

Edited by BP1960

Just a couple of months ago I was firmly in the Unsworth out camp and thought him incapable of learning.

But I think he's slowly turning it round and although a lot of the football is still shite I reckon we have a few

good players in defence and attack. I think the football will get better if we get some good midfield players in

who can control the game. I just hope we don't sign Chapman. I know he's bagged a few goals but I don't

see him being effective at all which is worrying as he seems to be a favourite of Unsworth.

3 hours ago, redlion said:

Just a couple of months ago I was firmly in the Unsworth out camp and thought him incapable of learning.

But I think he's slowly turning it round and although a lot of the football is still shite I reckon we have a few

good players in defence and attack. I think the football will get better if we get some good midfield players in

who can control the game. I just hope we don't sign Chapman. I know he's bagged a few goals but I don't

see him being effective at all which is worrying as he seems to be a favourite of Unsworth.

Same with me.Juries out but I want a win even with his dull football but I'd rather have attacking entertaining  football  any day 

• Like 2

We WiLl GeT rElEgAtEd- we don't go anywhere near relegated.

ThE cRoWdS wiLl PlUmMeTt- we get over 5000 on tuesday nights.

sEaSoN tIcKeTs SaLeS wIlL fAlL- we sell 1200 season tickets a month before the previous season even ends.

they need to give up, theyre rubbish at this.

• Like 1