BPAS PODCAST: 23rd Jan '23, S3:E23: Latics Mindfulness

A massive frost claimed all but two National League fixtures this weekend so no game to discuss, instead we look at how the season has progressed so far with Matt, Andy and fan guest @JoeP who's Latics Mind performance is...

To support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link  https://anchor.fm/oafcpodcast/subscribe

All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone but only subscribers can access an audio only version of the Latics Football Phone In as a podcast from Friday morning at 7am.

If you'd like to make a one off donation, you can now also Buy Us A Coffee at https://www.buymeacoffee.com/oafcpodcast

You can also support us by visiting https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast.

Please subscribe to our YouTube channel here Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg. Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

In this week's show we also refer to this thread on twitter: 

...and here's the form table;

• Matt featured this topic
39 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I'm glad Andy brought up the subject about Missilou and Fane. What is the fascination with these 2 they are both very poor footballers we could easily find better ones out there yet it seems people want to bring them back.

Better the devil you know

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

I'm glad Andy brought up the subject about Missilou and Fane. What is the fascination with these 2 they are both very poor footballers we could easily find better ones out there yet it seems people want to bring them back.

I can still remember Missilou's performance at Fulham which, at its level, goes down as one of the great Latics individual performances.  Sadly, the exception to the rule.

I think Andy and Matt described what I would call rational hope. Hope that either the board do have the right man and that will be proved over time, or that when they decide he isn't right, they will go about it properly and do better next time.  Based on their collective experience, their clear intentions and what they have done so far in other areas of the business.

There are those who call for his immediate sacking now and think it's error by the board to not have done this yet. I can understand this - I think we can all agree that there has been very little on pitch improvement since Unsworth came in. But for those who don't think that its a clear and obvious error from the board to not sack him yet, I think rational hope is a better way of putting it than blind faith which has been used elsewhere.

Another good listen, plenty of food for thought even in the absence of any games to discuss last week.

Agree with the point about rational hope rather than blind faith. And although my faith in the Board remains largely unshaken what has happened on the pitch means the jury is still out on David Unsworth. I understand that there's plenty going on "behind the curtain" that we can only really make educated guesses at, but what we can see has given plenty of pause for thought.

But more importantly, I've tried to subscribe to the pod recently and neither the link here or on your website works, might need looking at? 

50 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Another good listen, plenty of food for thought even in the absence of any games to discuss last week.

Agree with the point about rational hope rather than blind faith. And although my faith in the Board remains largely unshaken what has happened on the pitch means the jury is still out on David Unsworth. I understand that there's plenty going on "behind the curtain" that we can only really make educated guesses at, but what we can see has given plenty of pause for thought.

But more importantly, I've tried to subscribe to the pod recently and neither the link here or on your website works, might need looking at? 

Thank you for pointing that out. All fixed now. Here: https://anchor.fm/oafcpodcast/subscribe

It was a good listen, as it always is. I particularly enjoyed Joe pushing back on Unsworth. I don't buy the narrative that he needs two transfer windows, especially when the TW's don't apply to us.

My man Marc White had it right when he said there needs to be incremental improvements every week and we aren't seeing that, although I concede I wasn't at the Dorking or Gateshead game. He needs a serious run of form and I'm talking 4 or 5 wins on the bounce...

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

It was a good listen, as it always is. I particularly enjoyed Joe pushing back on Unsworth. I don't buy the narrative that he needs two transfer windows, especially when the TW's don't apply to us.

My man Marc White had it right when he said there needs to be incremental improvements every week and we aren't seeing that, although I concede I wasn't at the Dorking or Gateshead game. He needs a serious run of form and I'm talking 4 or 5 wins on the bounce...

He needs to win 7 out of 10 for me to muster one iota of optimism.

He has a premium to pay for all the lies. 

However, that won't happen so just get on with it and replace him. 

One win from the new man would have me buzzing, all kum ba yah and waxing lyrical about all the AMAZING things going on behind the scenes. 

18 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I must add that I do find it strange that the football club said Unsworth was always their number one target, but if the rumour mill is to be believed, they actually approached another manager weeks before Unsworth came in...

23 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I must add that I do find it strange that the football club said Unsworth was always their number one target, but if the rumour mill is to be believed, they actually approached another manager weeks before Unsworth came in...

But others slate them for not having a Plan B.  Can't see why they wouldn't show interest in others until the No.1 target had actually signed.

2 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Who has slated them for not having a Plan B please...?

Loads of people have just said they went with their mate and had no process.  A plan b shows some process, albeit not necessarily an interview based one

1. Well done Joe, excellent quizzing.

2. Halliwell, there is no use going on about faux outrage and then showing some yourself about your working conditions. 😀

3. Dean, you will be hearing from my solicitor. I took your "wear extra socks" advice literally when I went to Sainsbury's yesterday, and am now in trouble for suspected shoplifting.

All that said.....

Good episode. I was interested in the segment about the propensity that the average football fan has for being an absolute dickhead. I think it is a default setting for many people who see football as a release from the day to day pressure of behaving like an adult. 

I also think that you are more likely to stay up now than not, albeit you do have to improve. Scunny are in a hopeless mess, I think Maidstone and Gateshead are finding out the hard way what a big step up it is and there are other clubs around you who look just as vulnerable as you do, if not more. 

42 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Loads of people have just said they went with their mate and had no process.  A plan b shows some process, albeit not necessarily an interview based one

"We'll ask my mate first. And if he says no we can ask your mate....."

#tRuStTHePRoCesS 😀

1 hour ago, basilrobbie said:

I also think that you are more likely to stay up now than not, albeit you do have to improve. Scunny are in a hopeless mess, I think Maidstone and Gateshead are finding out the hard way what a big step up it is and there are other clubs around you who look just as vulnerable as you do, if not more. 

Out of interest-what's your thoughts on your new manager?

1 hour ago, basilrobbie said:

I think that Gateshead will move out of danger before too long. but I do agree that there are a number of clubs around us who we can overtake.

24 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Out of interest-what's your thoughts on your new manager?

He's not really my cup of tea, but I certainly see the reason why they have gone for him. We probably need 25 points or so from 19 games and home form in particular is going to be key.  If he is feeding the players a diet of raw meat in training thy might just get them.

That said it is what they do in the summer - up or down - that really matters. We've only had one successful appointment out of three since the new owner came in and he will need to get this one right to keep the momentum going. Remarkable as it may seem, given the history, he is already getting a bit of grief from some. 

3 hours ago, basilrobbie said:

That said it is what they do in the summer - up or down - that really matters. We've only had one successful appointment out of three since the new owner came in and he will need to get this one right to keep the momentum going. Remarkable as it may seem, given the history, he is already getting a bit of grief from some. 

Thanks for the reply.

Interesting that your new owner has only had a one in three success with managers.

21 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Thanks for the reply.

Interesting that your new owner has only had a one in three success with managers.

Would we class that as good or bad? Assuming success = promotion for most teams, if one every 3 managers achieves that then that's probably a good return. Just as long as the other 2 don't both get you relegated!

On 1/24/2023 at 12:36 PM, HarryBosch said:

He needs to win 7 out of 10 for me to muster one iota of optimism.

He has a premium to pay for all the lies. 

However, that won't happen so just get on with it and replace him. 

One win from the new man would have me buzzing, all kum ba yah and waxing lyrical about all the AMAZING things going on behind the scenes. 

I've just looked at our fixtures. We should win our next 7 with ease...

Archived