MATCH: Aldershot (A) 28/01/23

52 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

I was disappointed in Varney after the reports midweek. He gave Effiong too much space for their goal, thought Effiong had him in his pocket, I couldn't believe how many free headers we have him. He's skillful for a big man though, real handful. Peter Clarke will start next time out.

Varney was much better midweek.

Am I the only one the only one in the building who thinks that Jordan Clarke wouldn't have let him get that shot off for the goal?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, RobinsDuckEgg said:

Varney was much better midweek.

Am I the only one the only one in the building who thinks that Jordan Clarke wouldn't have let him get that shot off for the goal?

Watch their goal again where was Clarke? Did he go for a shit?

39 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Thought it weird how he persisted with Fondop and Nuttall, barring the goal I thought both were shite, too many not at it today particularly Tollitt and Chapman who were their useal weak as piss selves, Rooney looks like he's finally found some form and might start at home to Halifax, Yarney much better rightback than centre half on what I've seen today, thought that was Hogans best game for a while but other than that it was an okay point against a team that for me we should be beating, too many didn't turn up. 

This for me too.

Once again we conceded a goal that started down our right hand side. Jordan Clarke is not the right back I want to see on the pitch next week.

Today was a very average performance - too many poor technical skills on display. Yet again we were weak in the tackle and too readily gave the ball away. Very basic approach by Latics and not much football played. The front two (apart from the worldie from Fondop) were poor all game and we seemed content to play for a point. 
Not sure why Unsworth didn’t bring Timmy on second half but at least Rooney brought some much needed strength and tempo to a pedestrian midfield.

Another week on the training pitch before four in a row at home. 

The players have to step up because I cannot take much more of this lack of belief or intent from so many on that pitch 😮

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

What's he on about 8 goals now? Effiong has more than double but still had the desire to do more for his team.

Effiong was superb today. Not much of a career when you look at his stats but he's on it right now. 6ft 4in, wins everything in the air, skillful on the deck, eye for goal, great work ethic. One game but on the back of a hattrick midweek.

We’ve found a way of picking up points but it’s pretty awful to watch. We don’t really play any football and our better spells come when we sort of force teams back physically rather than through decent possession. 

I hope this is only temporary to pull away from the bottom 4 because we have the players to play better stuff on the floor.

Aldershot were a decent side, had the better chances and probably should have won. Thought the lack of subs was a bit strange especially as Nuttall and Fondop looked like they were tiring. 

I won’t knock a win at home, draw away run but I’d really like to see signs of some sort of style of play that involves keeping the ball on the ground for a while. That’s where the longer term success lies. 

Ref was diabolical.

Question is will we strengthen this week on that right hand side?

In the DU interview, impression I get is he’s happy with that side now.

Think the majority of us agree that we need a RB & RW.  Crying out for pace on that right today.  Chapman is ok but he’s no winger.  Also I’m not convinced with Tollitt - knocked easily off ball, no pace & I don’t think he likes 442.  Couto looked good with Kitching.

16 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

We’ve found a way of picking up points but it’s pretty awful to watch. We don’t really play any football and our better spells come when we sort of force teams back physically rather than through decent possession. 

I hope this is only temporary to pull away from the bottom 4 because we have the players to play better stuff on the floor.

Aldershot were a decent side, had the better chances and probably should have won. Thought the lack of subs was a bit strange especially as Nuttall and Fondop looked like they were tiring. 

I won’t knock a win at home, draw away run but I’d really like to see signs of some sort of style of play that involves keeping the ball on the ground for a while. That’s where the longer term success lies. 

Ref was diabolical.

I don’t think Unsworth is capable of coaching an attractive style of play.

A- I don’t think he’s tactically good enough.

B - I don’t think he wants to play that style anyway. 

If you read all the Everton stuff he was well known for defensive counter attacking football- he tried the same with us with several different formations and he’s had to reduce it to the simplest formation to get a tune out of them. 

What we’re left with- is hard to beat  long ball football. It’s not always great to watch, but I don’t mind that as long we win/pick up results. 

6 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

Question is will we strengthen this week on that right hand side?

In the DU interview, impression I get is he’s happy with that side now.

Think the majority of us agree that we need a RB & RW.  Crying out for pace on that right today.  Chapman is ok but he’s no winger.  Also I’m not convinced with Tollitt - knocked easily off ball, no pace & I don’t think he likes 442.  Couto looked good with Kitching.

We don’t have the wide men for a properly effective 442. Trouble is, despite all our recruitment, I’m not sure what formation we do have the players for. Thankfully I think we now have enough quality to stay up despite that

16 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Do we have the pitches in this league for attractive passing football?

That pitch today looked decent enough and Aldershot passed it about. 

Im not expecting us to play like Man City but a bit of on the deck stuff would be good. 

4 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

That pitch today looked decent enough and Aldershot passed it about. 

Im not expecting us to play like Man City but a bit of on the deck stuff would be good. 

We lumped it forward at every opportunity today. Still look like a team afraid to play, to me.

42 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

We lumped it forward at every opportunity today. Still look like a team afraid to play, to me.

Because they’re being told to BD. He doesn’t want us playing through the thirds. I think the style is what he’s always wanted, the only thing he’s comprised on is the formation.

He’s setting us up to be hard to beat, and play the percentages- and to be fair we’ve picked up results since he changed to 442. 

As long as we win/pick up results I’m not bothered about the style. 

8 hours ago, League one forever said:

Because they’re being told to BD. He doesn’t want us playing through the thirds. I think the style is what he’s always wanted, the only thing he’s comprised on is the formation.

He’s setting us up to be hard to beat, and play the percentages- and to be fair we’ve picked up results since he changed to 442. 

As long as we win/pick up results I’m not bothered about the style. 

To a point, I agree. However I’ve seen, in small bursts admittedly, that we can play on the deck.

I'm not advocating always playing out from the back but occasionally getting the ball down and retaining the ball would be welcome 🙏 

11 hours ago, League one forever said:

I don’t think Unsworth is capable of coaching an attractive style of play.

A- I don’t think he’s tactically good enough.

B - I don’t think he wants to play that style anyway. 

If you read all the Everton stuff he was well known for defensive counter attacking football- he tried the same with us with several different formations and he’s had to reduce it to the simplest formation to get a tune out of them. 

What we’re left with- is hard to beat  long ball football. It’s not always great to watch, but I don’t mind that as long we win/pick up results. 

This.

Whilst it will grind out some results, the style of play will be limiting and definitely have a ceiling. We will pick up points against the poorer sides but it will get exposed in the midfield against the sides that like to get it down and play football.

I do still think there is improvement to be had within this system. Challenging for more headers, pressing a bit harder and competing for second balls are all necessary and something we aren't doing well enough at the moment.

Take from it what you will, but given we've ground out some results with Chapman who doesn't really do anything an Tollitt who doesn't work in any 4 man system... it tells you what you need to know about the quality at the bottom end of this division.

Would be interested to see the xG of our last few games. Whilst I don't subscribe to these sort of stats being completely telling, they give a good indication of 'under/overperformance'... i.e have we been as lucky as some people are saying we have been on our recent run. I'd probably hazard a guess at yes from what I've seen.

Either way, some huge overreactions at a half decent away point on Twitter once again.

7 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

If he's going to go with what we've got, then I'd probably try Abraham on the right wing, but it'd probably leave whoever plays Right back a bit too exposed. 

This lost us the game (albeit amongst a few other things) against Gateshead. It was an awful tactical decision when playing a midfield 2 and when we were already been dominated in the middle.

13 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

What was the atmosphere like in the away end after we went behind...?

I thought the atmosphere was decent all game to be honest, mainly due to the Aldershot fans. Them being so close to us kept it going, and they get behind their team so fair play to them.

There wasn’t too much negativity around and the general feeling pre game is that we are slowly (very slowly) improving. I’m a bit worried what the end product will look like under Unsworth, but we’re gonna find out because he ain’t going anywhere.

19 hours ago, Wardie said:

He's scored about 400 career goals or something like that.

They have both benefitted from the 'Unsworth Skill Draining Technique'.
Absolute gash at the moment.

Just realised, reading through, that I multiplied Inih Effiong's goals tally by about 300%! :D 

1 hour ago, Steve_R said:

I’m a bit worried what the end product will look like under Unsworth, but we’re gonna find out because he ain’t going anywhere.

This is a really good point.

We should have enough now to stay up, and I think people will accept Unsy’s football this season if we finish lower midtable.

But the acid test is next season- will people be able to stomach it as the way he plays? Because I don’t he’s good enough to evolve to our style. 

We could have another Ronnie- sat in the top ten, but people are restless with the football. 

Personally if we do well next season with this football I couldn’t care less. All I care about is winning- especially after the last few years.

No style is as good as winning. 

I find it hard to believe that Unsworth’s tactics at Everton were a narrow 442 lumping it up to 2 big lads. He won the league with them. 

We aren’t going to win promotion playing like this. It’s only effective for bad teams trying to avoid relegation. So if that’s what he’s doing now to pull away from the bottom then fine. But it’s not going to be effective enough long term. 

8 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I find it hard to believe that Unsworth’s tactics at Everton were a narrow 442 lumping it up to 2 big lads. He won the league with them. 

No, he didn’t play a narrow 442, but he was known for defensive counter attacking football. The difference is he had young top players, who could play a 352.  Now he’s got fifth division players and has had to adapt the formation but his style hasn’t changed. 

As for it not being what good teams do. Mourinho and Conte have had very successful careers, playing that way. 

They’re absolutely nothing to suggest that we can’t do well playing that way. It comes down to ideology. Do you want attractive football and to win- then Unsworth isn’t your man. If you accept he’s unsackable for the foreseeable then we’re all going have to get used to pragmatic, but hopefully winning football. 

Archived