MATCH: Aldershot (A) 28/01/23

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hoping to see a change up top. I think Nuttall and Fondop are too similar so would like to see more dynamism up front with Abraham or Reid (when fit) alongside Nuttall, with Fondop a handy option from the bench.

I'd still like to see a front 3 and think that works better with the squad we've got (as long as they play as a 3 and not as a 1) but he probably won't look to change much after an upturn in form.

23 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Two teams who have recently found some form. Effiong scoring a few so will be their danger man I suspect. Expect this to be our starting eleven:

4-1-3-2

Norman
Yarney, Hogan, Clarke, Kitching
Sheron
Shelton, Chapman, Tollitt
Nuttall, Fondop

Chapman should be nowhere near the centre of that midfield 3, he did okay out wide right on Tuesday but there must be better available who could provide better quality, nothing more than a stop gap for me.

20 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

Looking forward to this one, hope we bring a few although there doesn’t seem to be much of a buzz around away games this season

I was going to all away games first 1/3rd if the season. Quickly got fed up of standing in a terrace with no roof. It just kills any attempt at an atmosphere. 
That’s before a ball is kicked ! 

When we did have a roof on the terrace, instances like Torquay happen where me and 3 mates walked into the ground, hoping to grab a pint after a 5/6 hour drive down, and it was bloody cash only. Cash only at this level is a joke in the current climate. 

35 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

Looking forward to this one, hope we bring a few although there doesn’t seem to be much of a buzz around away games this season

I was well up for it earlier in the season but the Bromley/Maidenhead double header has killed off any prospect of me travelling anywhere south of Birmingham for the rest of the season...

58 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I was going to all away games first 1/3rd if the season. Quickly got fed up of standing in a terrace with no roof. It just kills any attempt at an atmosphere. 
That’s before a ball is kicked ! 

When we did have a roof on the terrace, instances like Torquay happen where me and 3 mates walked into the ground, hoping to grab a pint after a 5/6 hour drive down, and it was bloody cash only. Cash only at this level is a joke in the current climate. 

well, Aldershot has a proper old fashioned covered terrace (East Bank) behind the goal with their (pretty noisy) fans on one side and us on the other…it can make for one of the best atmosphere’s in the NL if there is a decent away following

The ground is in the centre of town, 5-10 mins from the station and pubs 

I get your overall point but it doesn’t apply to Aldershot! 

12 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

well, Aldershot has a proper old fashioned covered terrace (East Bank) behind the goal with their (pretty noisy) fans on one side and us on the other…it can make for one of the best atmosphere’s in the NL if there is a decent away following

Aldershot as a ground looks much more like Torquay than it does to the other southern aways I've done this season (Woking, Bromley, Maidenhead and Dorking). So hopefully the atmosphere will be good tomorrow. Those others were particularly bad for atmosphere and it wasn't just about the football!  Maidenhead especiallly.

34 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

Fair enough mate, I was speaking more generally than Aldershot. Hope everyone who goes has a good day and we win 

5 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Two teams who have recently found some form. Effiong scoring a few so will be their danger man I suspect. Expect this to be our starting eleven:

4-1-3-2

Norman
Yarney, Hogan, Clarke, Kitching
Sheron
Shelton, Chapman, Tollitt
Nuttall, Fondop

I think the selection will give a good indication of how strong a manager Unsworth is going to be. I'd keep the same back four and have Peter Clarke on the bench. I felt Hogan and Yarney looked more solid. Yarney pushed up on the attackers more and I thought we kept danger further away from the edge of our box.

4 minutes ago, astottie said:

I think the selection will give a good indication of how strong a manager Unsworth is going to be. I'd keep the same back four and have Peter Clarke on the bench. I felt Hogan and Yarney looked more solid. Yarney pushed up on the attackers more and I thought we kept danger further away from the edge of our box.

Would what we might lose putting Peter Clarke in ahead of Yarney at centre back, be gained back by putting Yarney in ahead of Jordan Clarke at right back?

6 minutes ago, astottie said:

If I was the manager I’d want to see that back four with Yarney at right back. 
Jordan Clarke has done okay but he looks like he is carrying an injury.

For me the weakest part of the defence has been down our right. The moving of Sheron into the defensive midfield role plus the addition of Shelton has bolstered the centre of midfield. 

I disagree that the team he picks will be indicative of the strength of the manager - how so? 
I agree that there is an argument that a clean sheet in the previous game means not changing the defence but I would bring Peter Clarke back in.

I will be there tomorrow and expect a tough contest. I also believe we can get something from the game. 😃

41 minutes ago, astottie said:

It’s a tough one isn’t it. 

P Clarke and Yarney both bring different qualities, and both have done enough for a start. So I’d probably go with the others and say Yarney at right back and P Clarke centre half. 

34 minutes ago, League one forever said:

It’s a tough one isn’t it. 

P Clarke and Yarney both bring different qualities, and both have done enough for a start. So I’d probably go with the others and say Yarney at right back and P Clarke centre half. 

All day long.

Jordan Clarke was fucking dreadful first half on Tuesday night, he's been the oppositions best player on a number of occasions this season, he really isn't the answer. Somethings not been right for months with him and I'd go as far to say he looks and plays like he doesn't give a fuck half the time.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

All day long.

Jordan Clarke was fucking dreadful first half on Tuesday night, he's been the oppositions best player on a number of occasions this season, he really isn't the answer. Somethings not been right for months with him and I'd go as far to say he looks and plays like he doesn't give a fuck half the time.

He fucked up a move down the right in the first half - had three blue shirts to pick from and passed it to no-one, allowing York to break. Dreadful. Yarney at right back for me.

3 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Would what we might lose putting Peter Clarke in ahead of Yarney at centre back, be gained back by putting Yarney in ahead of Jordan Clarke at right back?

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

If I was the manager I’d want to see that back four with Yarney at right back. 
Jordan Clarke has done okay but he looks like he is carrying an injury.

For me the weakest part of the defence has been down our right. The moving of Sheron into the defensive midfield role plus the addition of Shelton has bolstered the centre of midfield. 

I disagree that the team he picks will be indicative of the strength of the manager - how so? 
I agree that there is an argument that a clean sheet in the previous game means not changing the defence but I would bring Peter Clarke back in.

I will be there tomorrow and expect a tough contest. I also believe we can get something from the game. 😃

Both fair points. The obvious answer is that we need 2 Yarneys. I thought on Tuesday that we looked miles stronger down the middle but that might have been down to Shelton and Sheron as well who were excellent. I thought the 2 central mids and central defenders worked well together. I think for the manager the easier option is to bring Clarke back and move Yarney. But then again as others have said that might be the best option as well. Lets see what happens on Saturday.

3 hours ago, astottie said:

We have sent Clarke packing before and that ended well… Clarke brings goals and is a leader. It’s a no brainier.

Wasn't sure what thread to put this in but I saw this video on a site called coaches voice. It's a good one for the thinking football fan

Sean Dyche describes how he used 4-4-2 while at Burnley with 2 big lads upfront with a centre back with a good range of passing in Tarkowski they would have the option of getting the ball to the front men accurately. The skill that I believe that is most underrated in Peter Clarke is his ability to pass the ball he is capable of putting a 40 50 yard ball upto the striker or across the pitch to the winger. Anyway give it a watch perhaps this is what Unsworth is trying to do.

Sean Dyche explains how to use 4-4-2

4 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Somethings not been right for months with him

Completely agree.

Has a tortured and frustrated demeanour, convinced he feels hard done by some how, possibly forced to play when he believes he is injured.

Could be as simple as petulance after having a transfer request denied.

Peter Clarke comes straight back into the team in my opinion, contributes a huge amount.

Josef Yarney has already shown quality, very promising, can't be dropped after Tuesday's excellent performance.

Archived