MATCH: Aldershot (A) 28/01/23

Good game that. 

A point a fair result given the chances both sides had. 

I thought Varney did ok with effiong, (who played really well, as did their number 7) and probably why he started at centre half because he’s a unit. However I’d like him at right back for next game, and P Clarke back in. Their goal came down the right hand channel, and it’s clearly where we are weakest. 

Apart from Gateshead in the cup. There is no question we look a much better side recently. 

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Decent point and keeps the unbeaten run going, but Maidenhead, Gateshead, Torquay, and Yeovil all winning moves us back into the relegation pack.

Important run of home games coming up to hopefully pull us clear.

I agree with this, although a few weeks ago we were looking like the only team that the bottom four could reach.  Now pretty much the whole of the bottom half is in reach for us.

The four straight home games are the best chance we'll have this season of getting towards mid-table.  If we're still hovering above the dropzone after Maidstone then I'll be very worried for the last 3rd of the season.

I suppose a point away is not the end of the world, but wins for Gateshead and Torquay today have put them only 3 points behind us, although we do have a game in hand. Dorking and Halifax appear to be on the slide though. At the moment only Maidstone look doomed and we need to start winning matches regularly from now on.

3 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

It does, however need to be followed up with 12 points from the next four games...

It ain't going to happen. Gateshead will be confident of another win, I'm sure.
I'm optimistically thinking 7pts out of the 12 available.

9 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

7 points from the easiest four home games we're likely to get all season is sackable...

Dag and Redbridge won't be easy, neither will Gateshead.

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I’ve now accepted he is unsackable. 

As have we all.

25 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

It does, however need to be followed up with 12 points from the next four games...

It's a great opportunity to do so without a doubt, however 8 points with no defeats or 9 points with one defeat from the four games would be decent enough in my eyes.  It would definitely give us breathing room from the relegation zone and probably put us into mid-table.

I think a point would feel better if the other teams around us hadn’t grabbed wins. There’s still the feeling that we’re capable of much more. Aldershot in good form, but they don’t do draws. Only 3 before today, and 15 defeats. Bringing Timmy on for the last 15 could’ve been a match winning sub, but we’ll never know and that’s frustrating.

1 hour ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I agree with this, although a few weeks ago we were looking like the only team that the bottom four could reach.  Now pretty much the whole of the bottom half is in reach for us.

The four straight home games are the best chance we'll have this season of getting towards mid-table.  If we're still hovering above the dropzone after Maidstone then I'll be very worried for the last 3rd of the season.

Dorking in absolute free fall. Part timers with very limited resources to turn it round. They're nailed on to go down for me. 

Mixed performance. Really good in the first 10 minutes but that fizzled out and we were dross after conceding. 

Second half much better. Fondop was awful in the first half, worst I've ever seen him play (and I'm a big fan). And then he goes and does that! His yellow card was a joke, poor ref. 

I was disappointed in Varney after the reports midweek. He gave Effiong too much space for their goal, thought Effiong had him in his pocket, I couldn't believe how many free headers we have him. He's skillful for a big man though, real handful. Peter Clarke will start next time out.

All in all, any point away from home is a good point, particularly given we've only won one away from home all season. We look immeasurably better than we did for much of 2022.

Thought it weird how he persisted with Fondop and Nuttall, barring the goal I thought both were shite, too many not at it today particularly Tollitt and Chapman who were their useal weak as piss selves, Rooney looks like he's finally found some form and might start at home to Halifax, Yarney much better rightback than centre half on what I've seen today, thought that was Hogans best game for a while but other than that it was an okay point against a team that for me we should be beating, too many didn't turn up. 

3 minutes ago, JoeP said:

If Fondop gets a goal or two every game, he can sit down in the centre spot for the majority of the game, as far as I'm concerned.

There's no such thing as a goal-scorer who is shit...

What's he on about 8 goals now? Effiong has more than double but still had the desire to do more for his team.

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

What's he on about 8 goals now? Effiong has more than double but still had the desire to do more for his team.

Think so - he was out of the team for a bit, though.

Great if you can get a goal-scorer who also contributes to the team, but given the choice of someone who just works hard and someone who just scores goals, it's the goal-scorer every time!

Archived