MATCH: Aldershot (A) 28/01/23

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Wasn't sure what thread to put this in but I saw this video on a site called coaches voice. It's a good one for the thinking football fan

Sean Dyche describes how he used 4-4-2 while at Burnley with 2 big lads upfront with a centre back with a good range of passing in Tarkowski they would have the option of getting the ball to the front men accurately. The skill that I believe that is most underrated in Peter Clarke is his ability to pass the ball he is capable of putting a 40 50 yard ball upto the striker or across the pitch to the winger. Anyway give it a watch perhaps this is what Unsworth is trying to do.

Sean Dyche explains how to use 4-4-2

Interesting share cheers. I don’t think it’s what the purists imagine 442 to be though! Didn’t mention wing play once when describing attacking.

I can see how that was effective for Burnley in the premier league with the right players to execute but I really hope that’s not the long term plan for us going forward. 

1 hour ago, Mayfield said:

Completely agree.

Has a tortured and frustrated demeanour, convinced he feels hard done by some how, possibly forced to play when he believes he is injured.

Could be as simple as petulance after having a transfer request denied.

Peter Clarke comes straight back into the team in my opinion, contributes a huge amount.

Josef Yarney has already shown quality, very promising, can't be dropped after Tuesday's excellent performance.

Where did this myth surface from that J Clarke had a transfer request denied?

As for being "petulant" or "tortured", if you talk to people working at the club, as I have, they will tell you he is a good pro and a decent fella.

Is he one for the future? Maybe not. But he deserves a bit of respect.

23 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

As for being "petulant" or "tortured", if you talk to people working at the club, as I have, they will tell you he is a good pro and a decent fella.

You may well be right and we may be just giving him too much credit by looking for excuses for him.

How many relegations does he have on his CV though and he's looking worse the more divisions we slip through, maybe he's just a very poor footballer then?

1 hour ago, Boyyou said:

Yeah it’s bull!

Guest Stanley30
10 hours ago, Mayfield said:

Completely agree.

Has a tortured and frustrated demeanour, convinced he feels hard done by some how, possibly forced to play when he believes he is injured.

Could be as simple as petulance after having a transfer request denied.

Peter Clarke comes straight back into the team in my opinion, contributes a huge amount.

Josef Yarney has already shown quality, very promising, can't be dropped after Tuesday's excellent performance.

tortured and frustrated demeanour 😂 it's fucking football mate, grow up

12 hours ago, Boyyou said:

He did ask to leave. He was told to stay and he was under contract by Shez. He wanted out as soon as we were relegated. 

16 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Interesting share cheers. I don’t think it’s what the purists imagine 442 to be though! Didn’t mention wing play once when describing attacking.

I can see how that was effective for Burnley in the premier league with the right players to execute but I really hope that’s not the long term plan for us going forward. 

I'm probably on the same page as you in preferring a different system. I think one of the main reasons a traditional 4-4-2 died out and the popularity of a 4-2-3-1 which is essentially an evolution of 4-4-2 is because that and 4-3-3 (like Pep Guardiolas with high attacking wingers and 2 number 10's) allow teams to pass the ball between the lines through the thirds better as the aim will be to get the number 10 or anyone of the 3 behind the 9 to get the ball in the pockets on the half turn. As Dyche explains that system which is the closet we see to an 80's 90's 4-4-2 did allow fluidity and still allowed playing out from the back but it also gave players with a longer range of passing like Tarkowski or Kieran Trippier to play a long accurate ball from the back.

As I said above one of things we underestimate about Peter Clarke is his ability on the ball he's a great leader, professional and can pop up with a goal but he's also a very competent footballer with the ball at his feet it's hugely important for a teams ability to build up play to have defenders who can pass the ball Rather than just lump it.

Archived