BPAS PODCAST: 6th Feb '23, S3:E25: Incrementally Worse

By all accounts, the home defeat to Halifax on Saturday was one of the worst performances of the season...it must have been bad.

To support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link https://anchor.fm/oafcpodcast/subscribe. All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone but only subscribers can access an audio only version of the Latics Football Phone In as a podcast from Friday  morning at 7am. If you'd like to make a one off donation, you can now also Buy Us A Coffee by clicking here

You can also support us by visiting https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast. Please subscribe to our YouTube channel here Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

1 hour ago, BPAS said:

By all accounts, the home defeat to Halifax on Saturday was one of the worst performances of the season...it must have been bad.

To support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link https://anchor.fm/oafcpodcast/subscribe. All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone but only subscribers can access an audio only version of the Latics Football Phone In as a podcast from Friday  morning at 7am. If you'd like to make a one off donation, you can now also Buy Us A Coffee by clicking here

You can also support us by visiting https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast. Please subscribe to our YouTube channel here Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

No performance is the right description, this comes from negative tactics and some

players going through the motions. Fans won't accept that.

If we saw all out gutsy attacking performances the manager wouldn't receive the sort of criticism he has. 

1 hour ago, BPAS said:

Did you not see it ?

Sombre mood on this today, which is totally understandable!

I disagree to an extent that we don't have the squad yet. I think we have a squad perfectly capable of playing decent football and having top 10 form which is fine for the rest of the season. However, if we want to have top 3 form next season that will take more quality coming in over the summer.

Re the mad conspiracy to take us down, that's more shitposting than it is anything else. But the difficulty in the social media age is that people read stuff written down and think there might be an element of truth to it. Then from there negativity and ill feeling can grow. It even happens on here with anecdotes about Joe Royle's facial expressions being taken as proof that there's an Everton based conspiracy to keep Unsworth in the job no matter what happens.  When it is probably more likely that the board were of the view that it would take a few months to change the squad for the better and for Unsworth to learn his trade, and as long as we're not deep in the relegation zone then they wanted to allow time for that to happen and things to come good.

I don't think they're incompetent (or other sinister motives) for not having sacked him yet. But the problem they've got now is for the sake of picking up points he's resorted to this dreadful hoofball, which was always going to end up in a massive fall out when we lost a game playing that way. I presume they'll be looking to sell season tickets soon and if things don't change then any saving of losses by not terminating the 3 year contracts could be offset by the drop in season ticket revenue. I'd say things are more serious for Unsworth now then they might even have been at the start of January before the mini upturn in results.

1 minute ago, Lee Sinnott said:

We have got Maidstone in 3 games time - there's no chance of that happening...

How many times have you said similar?😆

We couldn’t even beat Halifax, to quote you….. “a shambles of a team” who’d lost 5 of the last six and had half a team out!!

Unsworth hasn't got any defence.  If the job's "too much" for him he has to go.  What's the alternative? Keep him on in blind faith?  We need someone who CAN turn the mess that is supposedly still hanging over the club around reasonably quickly - not someone who can't and has shown no evidence is likely to further down the line.  We are where we are.  We need someone who get get the best with the cards he's been dealt.

No one seriously expected promotion.  It's a rebuilding year.  Survival would be satisfactory.  But then the owners have backed the manager, so the expectation should be a little more than that.  How often in the last 20 years have we spent £100k on a player?  Not often.  That's a lot of money to our club and a lot more than most clubs in this division could spend.  He should be doing better.

Great that we've got a stats department and all that jazz, but surely the manager has to have the final say on signings?  Otherwise he's going to get a load of players he might not want, which sounds uncomfortably familiar.  He's culpable for performances and results, so they should be his signings.

• Matt featured this topic
8 hours ago, nzlatic said:

...if we want to have top 3 form next season that will take more quality coming in over the summer...

Top three? Only if they are in the NLN and that's not a guarantee if that fucking idiot is still here. Any "quality" that's come in has had the stuffing knocked out of it with his stifling tactics and total ineptness at managing a squad. If the gutless shite we witnessed on Saturday carries on, bottom of the league and relegation beckons.

Saturday was the final kick in the teeth, I am sick of having the piss taken out of us.

The pod pretty much mirrors my "journey" with Unsworth. I was excited by the signing, thought we'd got a progressive manager/coach who would improve the players we got, be a plus from a recruitment perspective (players would want to play for him) and improve us tactically.

This took a slight knock with his first game, the Bromley away performance, more dead cat bounce than new manager bounce, inept all over the pitch with the mystifying decision to pump balls long at poor Junior Luamba playing up top on his tod. But he hadn't had long with the squad so we forgave him.

The next blow to confidence was when he questioned the quality of the squad he inherited in the media. Why would you do that? Even if he thought that, he damaged morale with a few words and ensured a detriment rather than any improvement. 

We've now had a few months of normality, the odd decent performance but quite a few sub standard games.

But we can add at least three concerns to the growing case against Unsworth:

1. Bailing out of the presser after the Gateshead game and the cover up that followed. Even if Ebbrell was down to face the press Unsworth should have fronted up and taken responsibility, made himself accountable.

2. Much more importantly, why do good players turn bad? Arguably there are 2/3 players that have performed better under Unsworth but there's mounting evidence to the contrary with new signings failing to make an impact. I haven't seen Ben Tollitt have a good game this year after being our best player up until the turn. Jordan Clarke has been shocking since his return. There are others.

3. Telling a fan/fans to **** off. Can't get that excited about it in isolation but taken with the generally lugubrious demeanour, and appearance of a man with the weight of the world on his shoulders, it's deeply worrying. Has he bitten off more than he can chew?

I do think it's interesting that Askey has been at the last two games. Could he be lined up to come and help Unsworth as an experienced head, or maybe just as a replacement?

It's coincidence but I don't think the instant turnaround Sean Dyche has pulled off at Everton helps Unsworth one bit. I'm not putting Askey in that class but he's experienced and could potentially lift a squad that is under performing.

Unsworth on the precipice...  

10 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

do think it's interesting that Askey has been at the last two games. Could he be lined up to come and help Unsworth as an experienced head, or maybe just as a replacement?

I think we have enough coaches at the club don’t you?

There is absolutely no way Askey will be coming in alongside Jeffers, Ebbrell & Unsworth.

He will have been at the games purely for his own benefit, ready to pounce if and when the job becomes available!

47 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

@BPASis there a reason why the LFPI is behind a paywall on Spotify ?

No problem if so, just wanted to flag as the Monday podcast is free and available but the phone in isn’t, especially when can watch it for free on YouTube ect. 
Cheers ! 

https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk/post/tis-the-season-of-giving

18 hours ago, JoeP said:

Unsworth hasn't got any defence.  If the job's "too much" for him he has to go.  What's the alternative? Keep him on in blind faith?  We need someone who CAN turn the mess that is supposedly still hanging over the club around reasonably quickly - not someone who can't and has shown no evidence is likely to further down the line.  We are where we are.  We need someone who get get the best with the cards he's been dealt.

No one seriously expected promotion.  It's a rebuilding year.  Survival would be satisfactory.  But then the owners have backed the manager, so the expectation should be a little more than that.  How often in the last 20 years have we spent £100k on a player?  Not often.  That's a lot of money to our club and a lot more than most clubs in this division could spend.  He should be doing better.

Great that we've got a stats department and all that jazz, but surely the manager has to have the final say on signings?  Otherwise he's going to get a load of players he might not want, which sounds uncomfortably familiar.  He's culpable for performances and results, so they should be his signings.

The new players so must do better is a red herring. We have done better since Nutall arrived. It takes time for new players to bed in so I'll give him a break there. Around 50% are new since the start of the season.

The main issue is the attitude on the pitch. We don't try to play, perhaps because the midfield is shocking. But to double up we almost don't try to attack. A real lack of effort for me. Ugly wins and results were always going to be the key. If we don't seem to try and win from the off, why bother?

1 hour ago, Hemel latic said:

The pod pretty much mirrors my "journey" with Unsworth. I was excited by the signing, thought we'd got a progressive manager/coach who would improve the players we got, be a plus from a recruitment perspective (players would want to play for him) and improve us tactically.

This took a slight knock with his first game, the Bromley away performance, more dead cat bounce than new manager bounce, inept all over the pitch with the mystifying decision to pump balls long at poor Junior Luamba playing up top on his tod. But he hadn't had long with the squad so we forgave him.

The next blow to confidence was when he questioned the quality of the squad he inherited in the media. Why would you do that? Even if he thought that, he damaged morale with a few words and ensured a detriment rather than any improvement. 

We've now had a few months of normality, the odd decent performance but quite a few sub standard games.

But we can add at least three concerns to the growing case against Unsworth:

1. Bailing out of the presser after the Gateshead game and the cover up that followed. Even if Ebbrell was down to face the press Unsworth should have fronted up and taken responsibility, made himself accountable.

2. Much more importantly, why do good players turn bad? Arguably there are 2/3 players that have performed better under Unsworth but there's mounting evidence to the contrary with new signings failing to make an impact. I haven't seen Ben Tollitt have a good game this year after being our best player up until the turn. Jordan Clarke has been shocking since his return. There are others.

3. Telling a fan/fans to **** off. Can't get that excited about it in isolation but taken with the generally lugubrious demeanour, and appearance of a man with the weight of the world on his shoulders, it's deeply worrying. Has he bitten off more than he can chew?

I do think it's interesting that Askey has been at the last two games. Could he be lined up to come and help Unsworth as an experienced head, or maybe just as a replacement?

It's coincidence but I don't think the instant turnaround Sean Dyche has pulled off at Everton helps Unsworth one bit. I'm not putting Askey in that class but he's experienced and could potentially lift a squad that is under performing.

Unsworth on the precipice...  

Top post that, and exactly where I am. 

Archived