MATCH: Barnet (A) 28/02/23 (Redux)

I can't be arsed trying to unpick all the petty, rude, childish, boring bullshit. So I've hidden the entire thread. To those who made reasonable points which are now lost to the annals of time, sorry on behalf of those who can't behave with empathy and/or maturity.  

Just stop being dicks. Talk about the Barnet game here if you want. 

Here’s a selection of my WhatsApp posts from the ground:

’Fairly even first half - we are too narrow for my liking and they are having more possession but we look lively on the break.’

‘Fondop & Reid on for 2nd half ... for Nuttall & Chapman - bold move by Unsworth.’

‘Fondop should have done better with his header early second half’

’Magnus saves the penalty! - How it ended up going over the bar I’ll never know!‘

’Clarkey called for the ball for the third when everyone thought we were going to play short - scuffed shot but bobbled  in!’

‘It was a good, battling performance from everyone - crucial penalty save from our keeper when we were 2-1 up - this is how I want to see us play going forward!’

’Great celebrations with the players at the end!’

I can’t be bothered to rewrite my report as it took ages 😔

…we were great last night, every single one of them, Nuttall included who has to do a lot on his own.

Fair play to Unsworth, still bridges to be built with the fans but that (and Saturday) has started the repair job big time

I enjoyed the game. I've been critical of style of play recently but also hopeful that there was a plan and last night I can now see shoots of that plan.  The points and wins are bringing confidence to the players clearly, they're raising their game and the fans are going with them.  I thought we were very solid and all the players were fully committed.  We looked more dangerous with the ball too in patches.

We can get too bogged down on here with players we think should be picked and formations we think are right or wrong. But what's clear now is that we have a squad we can utilise. We have players who could easily start being on the bench, and decent players who can't even make the 16.  We have variety to bring on if needed and we have players who are capable of switching systems to suit the circumstances. And they keep going right to the end.

If we keep up the 2023 points per game for the rest of the season then we should finish 11th/12th. Which would be a massive result given where we were 12 months ago.

There will be blips along the way and we'll probably all lose our shit again when that happens. But last night felt like a small corner turned for me. Very early days yet, and there are lots of things to work on, but I can see things heading in the right direction at last.

Form: Last 10 matches

GP W D L GF GA GD Pts Opponents
PPG
1 Wrexham 10 9 1 0 26 12 +14 28 1.12
2 Notts County 10 8 1 1 24 8 +16 25 1.30
3 Eastleigh 10 7 1 2 15 7 +8 22 1.31
4 Oldham 10 6 2 2 21 10 +11 20 1.17
5 Boreham Wood 10 5 5 0 13 6 +7 20 1.24
6 Southend Utd 10 6 1 3 13 11 +2 19 1.28
7 Bromley 10 4 5 1 16 10 +6 17 1.22
8 Barnet 10 5 1 4 21 17 +4 16 1.35
9 Woking 10 4 4 2 16 13 +3 16 1.63
10 Gateshead FC 10 4 4 2 15 12 +3 16 1.42

Sounds like last night matched Saturday for effort and application. 

Isn’t it amazing how quickly it can feel different with really good effort from the players, culminating in a couple of really good wins- and every member of the playing and coaching staff coming over to celebrate with the fans. 

Another thing this demonstrates- fans massively overplay the style of football. 

Just give us players working their bollocks off for each other, really competing and the results over time take care of themselves. 

All that matters is effort and winning. 

19 minutes ago, AnthonyOAFC said:

Superb win that. Chuffed for Unsworth. Also, I don't mean to be an attendance bigot, but just over 1000 home fans for a team in 4th position is quite 

Won’t disagree but some interesting perspectives from Barnet supporters. Biggest issue seems to be ground location. Apparently when they played at Underhill a good deal of support was in easy distance, walking or a bus. The Hive seems to be much less accessible and the attraction of a Feb night match isn’t getting folk to make a more awkward journey. 

18 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Sounds like last night matched Saturday for effort and application. 

Isn’t it amazing how quickly it can feel different with really good effort from the players, culminating in a couple of really good wins- and every member of the playing and coaching staff coming over to celebrate with the fans. 

Another thing this demonstrates- fans massively overplay the style of football. 

Just give us players working their bollocks off for each other, really competing and the results over time take care of themselves. 

All that matters is effort and winning. 

Hashtag not sustainable 

Went to have a look on their messageboard. One of their fans said the keeper should be nicknamed "Immune" cos he can't catch anything. Made me laugh. I don't think I've ever seen a goalkeeping performance as bad in my life, and I include the glory days of Alan Blayney in that...

16 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

Won’t disagree but some interesting perspectives from Barnet supporters. Biggest issue seems to be ground location. Apparently when they played at Underhill a good deal of support was in easy distance, walking or a bus. The Hive seems to be much less accessible and the attraction of a Feb night match isn’t getting folk to make a more awkward journey. 

This was mentioned to me by a Barnet fan also.

Incidentally, we left Moranos to cut across the park to the ground only to be met with padlocked gates. The detour was a good ten minutes at least but a Barnet fan, faced with the same dilemma, had ordered an Uber to get to the ground and invited us to jump in with him 👍

20 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yep, was never really a valid argument when it came to- ‘you can’t play this way and challenge’ when Phil Parkinson has been doing it all season. 

It’s a purist view not a logical one. 

Parkinson plays direct and relies heavily on set pieces, but it's not aimless lines clearing long ball which is how we played for a while. We appear to be moving more toward a controlled direct style of play which, although I would prefer us knocking it about all over the place, I absolutely don't have an issue with if it gets us up!  Just going off how we've played in the last 2 matches I've been to - how we played at Aldershot wasn't going to get us challenging, but how we played at Barnet could.

27 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

In an interesting twist, apparently Barnet are trying to get Leutwiler on emergency loan...

Seems like win win. Must be miserable not playing at his age.

But the pedant in me would suggest that your second keeper having a shocker shouldn't meet the threshold for an emergency loan. I didn't think we had a transfer deadline in the same way as the league?

As an aside I thought the way Dean Brennan threw the young keeper under the bus in his post match interview was a disgrace.

9 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Seems like win win. Must be miserable not playing at his age.

But the pedant in me would suggest that your second keeper having a shocker shouldn't meet the threshold for an emergency loan. I didn't think we had a transfer deadline in the same way as the league?

As an aside I thought the way Dean Brennan threw the young keeper under the bus in his post match interview was a disgrace.

By emergency loan, I meant they're in an emergency cos their keeper is crap...

8 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Parkinson plays direct and relies heavily on set pieces, but it's not aimless lines clearing long ball which is how we played for a while. We appear to be moving more toward a controlled direct style of play which, although I would prefer us knocking it about all over the place, I absolutely don't have an issue with if it gets us up!  Just going off how we've played in the last 2 matches I've been to - how we played at Aldershot wasn't going to get us challenging, but how we played at Barnet could.

I think he was/is trying to play this way all along (direct/hard to beat) but couldn’t get it out of the players/they needed time to gel.  We don’t play in the channels, and can hardly pass a ball. The only discernible difference in the last two games is the collective effort. IE keeping shape, filling in for each other, bodies on the line. This wasn’t happening, and left big gaps everywhere.

I still maintain we’ll never play ‘attractive’ football under him, because I don’t think it’s in his make up, but I don’t and never will care about style. 

I just want passion for the shirt and a will to win. Long may it continue. 

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I think he was/is trying to play this way all along (direct/hard to beat) but couldn’t get it out of the players/they needed time to gel.  We don’t play in the channels, and can hardly pass a ball. The only discernible difference in the last two games is the collective effort. IE keeping shape, filling in for each other, bodies on the line. This wasn’t happening, and left big gaps everywhere.

I still maintain we’ll never play ‘attractive’ football under him, because I don’t think it’s in his make up, but I don’t and never will care about style. 

I just want passion for the shirt and a will to win. Long may it continue. 

i don't know your age so don't know if you were around in the glory years but, believe me, the style then made winning a whole lot more enjoyable than it would have been just grinding out results!

7 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

i don't know your age so don't know if you were around in the glory years but, believe me, the style then made winning a whole lot more enjoyable than it would have been just grinding out results!

I’m 40 Dave, so childhood memories for me. I was too young to understand tactics/style etc- just loved seeing us win. 

I take your point though. 

Of course I’d rather win playing attractive football- but there in lies the issue, I don’t think Unsy is capable/wants to play that way. So it’s moot really. 

What I’m saying is- I’ll never complain about direct/ugly but ultimately winning football. 

Archived