MATCH: Barnet (A) 28/02/23 (Redux)

56 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

As an aside I thought the way Dean Brennan threw the young keeper under the bus in his post match interview was a disgrace.

Disgusting interview from him. Young goalkeeper who is clearly struggling and this nob decides a public flogging is in order. Disgraceful comments. Don’t hear him slagging off every player in their box for the first goal. Good job his chairman wasn’t interviewed about his piss poor defensive tactics from set pieces

If you look at some of the Barnet attacks/shots towards the end of the game you often had 3 or 4 oldham players throwing themselves across the floor to try and block. Lovely to see.

Like was mentioned for the end of game celebrations on Saturday, it certainly seems like the players are right behind Unsworth.

Also agree with a previous poster. Nuttall is getting a lot of unfair criticism. I don't think we are playing to his strengths.

I disagree that he's lazy, he's trying to stifle a whole back line on his own when out of possession. If he was busting a gut to do this, sprinting from one player to the next he'd last 20 mins (as would any other centre forward)

7 minutes ago, trickyrickyholden said:

Also agree with a previous poster. Nuttall is getting a lot of unfair criticism. I don't think we are playing to his strengths.

I disagree that he's lazy, he's trying to stifle a whole back line on his own when out of possession. If he was busting a gut to do this, sprinting from one player to the next he'd last 20 mins (as would any other centre forward)

Maybe not lazy, just slow to react sometimes - often on his heels last night and some of his touches were not decisive enough - personally I think a spell on the bench would go him good 👍

13 minutes ago, trickyrickyholden said:

It’s a fair point, when we’re out of possession. But when we have the ball, he hasn’t been doing enough to hold it up and bring the midfield in for me. Looks like he gives up on things too easy. 

I would replace lazy for sulk. I don’t think he’s someone to be in the trenches with- where as big Mikey will give you everything (albeit for hour, before he’s knackered) 

17 minutes ago, trickyrickyholden said:

Nuttall (pen) has been getting criticism because he has not lived up to the hype since he arrived. I'm sure he'll come good, but Reid and Fondop should both be ahead of him in the pecking order at the moment...

7 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Fondop made a big difference at Chesterfield and it sounds like he did the same last night.  Is it possible that his best role is as a sub?

Sub might be Nuttall's best role?

Feed the Nut. Don’t think he’s the type of striker to make something happen out of nothing. But if we can (maybe next season) get players with regular decent deliveries into the box from wide areas, I think he’ll show more.

At the mo, we’re looking to Kitching and Rooney from set pieces getting that service from wide. From the highlights v Chesterfield, can see why Colclough was linked. His technical ability and delivery would suit Nuttall’s centre forward play.

And when we do get players around him, he looks more effective. Look at that early chance last night - it was pleasing to see 4 or 5 players in the box looking to support Nuttall. Nuttall then picked out Chapman who had a shot cleared off the line as was Sheron’s follow up.

I think he’s one of those players who’s body language can look disinterested and lack lustre, which people will criticise when things don’t run for us.

I think he can contribute more. And I hope that next season, with a team built to play more to his strengths, then he will show he’s as good a centre forward we can hope to have in the national league.

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Fondop made a big difference at Chesterfield and it sounds like he did the same last night.  Is it possible that his best role is as a sub?

I think he is an impact player. Short spells. Not quite as effective over 90 minutes.

Nuttall, however, has yet to show anything at all. Still, he might be better with players around him. he's certainly not much good as a lone striker.

43 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

I think he is an impact player. Short spells. Not quite as effective over 90 minutes.

Nuttall, however, has yet to show anything at all. Still, he might be better with players around him. he's certainly not much good as a lone striker.

We signed him from what he’d been doing at Scunthorpe. He didn’t have better players around him there

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Nuttall (pen) has been getting criticism because he has not lived up to the hype since he arrived. I'm sure he'll come good, but Reid and Fondop should both be ahead of him in the pecking order at the moment...

I agree with this. Reid and Fondop look like a good partnership. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see Nuttall rested on Saturday.

However I do think the criticism of him as been a bit much and talk of him being lazy is baffling.

56 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

We signed him from what he’d been doing at Scunthorpe. He didn’t have better players around him there

But did he have team mates he had played with and formed an understanding with for some time better players or not  ?

7 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Hashtag not sustainable 

It's sustainable if they play like they did last night.  Not what went before.

We protected Norman well by only giving them half-chances, threw bodies on the line, looked genuinely dangerous when we broke and even knocked it about a bit quite well.

Best we've played under Unsworth.  More of the same and he could make me look a right silly billy for wanting him out. 

Which I'd be OK with..

12 hours ago, JoeP said:

It's sustainable if they play like they did last night.  Not what went before.

We protected Norman well by only giving them half-chances, threw bodies on the line, looked genuinely dangerous when we broke and even knocked it about a bit quite well.

Best we've played under Unsworth.  More of the same and he could make me look a right silly billy for wanting him out. 

Which I'd be OK with..

Agree with all above 👍

Barnet and Chesterfield both had loads of chances and like you say the defence put their bodies on the line to protect our goal, at Gateshead they didn’t 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

We only had 176 fans at Barnet who got behind the team for the full 90 minutes because of the effort they put in. 

22 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

Won’t disagree but some interesting perspectives from Barnet supporters. Biggest issue seems to be ground location. Apparently when they played at Underhill a good deal of support was in easy distance, walking or a bus. The Hive seems to be much less accessible and the attraction of a Feb night match isn’t getting folk to make a more awkward journey. 

It's bollocks. It's 10 mins walk from two tube stations, and on loads of bus routes.

1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

It's bollocks. It's 10 mins walk from two tube stations, and on loads of bus routes.

Yeah but we're talking soft southern jessies here not rough tough northerners who wear string vests when it's cold.

Archived