MATCH: Dagenham and Redbridge (A) 18/03/23

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Nuttall won the header which led to England's goal.

The defender headed the ball back when under pressure from Nuttall. 
It’s a very feisty match - Joe’s involved in a running battle but giving as good as he gets - not much football being played at the moment 😮

Regan Booty (linked with us) looking top quality with his dead ball delivery and Tyler Cordner also looks good 👍

Bit of a non-event the second half - too little happened to be able to judge Nuttall’s performance - let’s hope it gives him some confidence ahead of Saturday 👍

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

The defender headed the ball back when under pressure from Nuttall. 
It’s a very feisty match - Joe’s involved in a running battle but giving as good as he gets - not much football being played at the moment 😮

Regan Booty (linked with us) looking top quality with his dead ball delivery and Tyler Cordner also looks good 👍

Bit of a non-event the second half - too little happened to be able to judge Nuttall’s performance - let’s hope it gives him some confidence ahead of Saturday 👍

I thought Nuttall was no different than his displays for us and Booty similar to Shelton.

12 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I thought Nuttall was no different than his displays for us and Booty similar to Shelton.

Shelton has been a huge disappointment for me. He just doesn't do enough and, like one or two others, seems content to coast through a game. What I particularly like about Booty was his dead ball delivery - fast and accurate.

21 hours ago, penrhyn said:

Truth of the matter is Nuttall has 12 in 36 . And has a full 90 minutes in him .

3 in 17 for us though, so quite a drop off from the previous 19 games. Whether that's down to him or the service he's getting, or both, I haven't seen enough of us this season to give a view.

1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

3 in 17 for us though, so quite a drop off from the previous 19 games. Whether that's down to him or the service he's getting, or both, I haven't seen enough of us this season to give a view.

How many were penalties from the all those games?

20 minutes ago, Le miserable1 said:

Plus one we gave him on a plate when we played scunny

How many assists in all those games?

And I've seen a right back at probably the equivalent league below with 13 goals (none from penalties ) and countless assists.

I have an issue with discounting goals because they're penalties or easy. So are we to grade the standard of each goal anyone scores and decide whether it's worthy of including in statistics?

A goal is a goal, no matter how it went in.

Just now, nzlatic said:

I have an issue with discounting goals because they're penalties or easy. So are we to grade the standard of each goal anyone scores and decide whether it's worthy of including in statistics?

Not really, if someone else took all the penalties would you be happy with a big money striker with that goal ratio?

20 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I remember scoring a screamer from outside the box when I was at primary school.  The headmaster pointed out that it only counted the same as a tap in.  Miserable git!

29 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I see where you're coming from. You get this in cricket where people want to discount big scores from a batting average which strikes me as very unfair although I know weighted averages are gaining in popularity as the game becomes more data driven/focused.

But in football I do think there's merit in looking at goals from open play. Although there's undoubtedly a skill in taking a penalty it isn't to the same extent as place kicking in either rugby code, where you know your goal kicker will be called on to kick goals on a number of occasions during a match.

So it seems entirely reasonable to point to Nuttall having scored 5 goals from open play in 36 appearances this season.  

40 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Not really, if someone else took all the penalties would you be happy with a big money striker with that goal ratio?

BP, you have moaned about Nuttall since he arrived. Take the money aspect away from it, that’s not his fault. You cried out for big tall players for about a year, he’s a big player, shouldn’t you be happy ? You are constantly at him. Are you suggesting we play a right back upfront ? 

24 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I remember scoring a screamer from outside the box when I was at primary school.  The headmaster pointed out that it only counted the same as a tap in.  Miserable git!

Did you take your shirt off and jump into the headmasters arms?

10 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

BP, you have moaned about Nuttall since he arrived. Take the money aspect away from it, that’s not his fault. You cried out for big tall players for about a year, he’s a big player, shouldn’t you be happy ? You are constantly at him. Are you suggesting we play a right back upfront ? 

I gIve my opinion on what I see big or small or whatever league they play in.

It's not all about goals its also about not competing as I think they should.

I'm saying the right back would score more in open play in our division from that position and assist more than Nuttall, so would the winger several leagues lower James Berry.

Make what you want of that.

I could of course be proved wrong.

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

I honestly reckon Sutton would be as effective as Nuttall upfront, he really doesn't have any stand out attributes for me.

List his strengths then and I'll pay particular attention to them when we play at the weekend, I'm obviously missing something that others are seeing.

Anyway - Hogan was a winner at Dagenham and Redbridge.

My 8 year old Grand- daughter was cheering the team out (with the correct Latics top on of course) as they came out of the changing rooms to walk out on the pitch and he made her day by saying - "would you like to be the match mascot today" - he held her hand and she walked out onto the pitch with the team.

Thanks very much Liam - you made the young lady's weekend.

Sometimes it not all about football - but having a positive attitude towards the fans.:comeon::scarf001:👧

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

I honestly reckon Sutton would be as effective as Nuttall upfront, he really doesn't have any stand out attributes for me.

List his strengths then and I'll pay particular attention to them when we play at the weekend, I'm obviously missing something that others are seeing.

Yarney looks as though he can play anywhere, he certainly wouldn't let defenders settle and I bet would score more goals.

However he's doing fine in defence so it won't happen.

3 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

I said from the start he lacks aggression and hardly looks like scoring or creating a goal, that was a good early assessment IMO.

On other DU signings I said Yarney from his first game was a good signing and I think that's come to pass.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

I said from the start he lacks aggression and hardly looks like scoring or creating a goal, that was a good early assessment IMO.

On other DU signings I said Yarney from his first game was a good signing and I think that's come to pass.

Was that from the start when he scored on his debut?

Archived