MATCH: Dagenham and Redbridge (A) 18/03/23

Good enough for the point, but soooo boring to watch!
Safety first with every option, and while this is ok when the priority is ensuring we don’t go down it is not going to be good enough to challenge for the top next season.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Talking purely about Green. He's put good balls in the box. You don't score off everyone. 

So we put good balls into the box but our centre forward can’t score because he gets no service?

- Hudson looked pretty good, calm when coming off his line, didn’t have much to do but his kicking was pretty good (never a given with keepers at this level).

- Very reliant on our wide players to create something today, their fullbacks didn’t look too troubled by anything we tried down the wings. If we’re playing crosses in all game then our forwards need to be more aggressive in the box, like Fondop was for the goal.

- Rooney needs to do more (or be allowed to) when he has the ball in the middle of the park, when he passes or runs more direct things happen, he only started doing this towards the end of the second half though. He needs to be a lot more direct if we’re going to keep playing two defensive midfielders behind him. Too much sideways passing in their half.

- New lad up front didn’t look any better than what we had, reminded me of Luamba at the start of the season. I won’t make any firm judgments on him as he and Nuttall had zero communication, but I don’t know if they’ll have the ability to form a ‘big man, quick man’ partnership. Abraham is better than he is, quicker and busier. 

- Sutton and Yarney did particularly well against their big lumps up front (that bloke who came on at the end made Yarney look tiny. 

We had the possession to win that game but didn’t do enough with it, nobody in the squad with the creativity to take the game to them, but I don’t know if a player like that is easy to come by at this level. 

Garbage, seasons over for me now.

Big decision to be made by the board given we are absolutely dire to watch and are effectively as shite as Shez left us despite spending hundreds of thousands of pounds.

I imagine take up on season tickets will be relatively slow, I'm personally contemplating paying as I go next season as i don't want to commit to another season of turgid football. 

18 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Big decision to be made by the board given we are absolutely dire to watch and are effectively as shite as Shez left us despite spending hundreds of thousands of pounds.

I imagine take up on season tickets will be relatively slow, I'm personally contemplating paying as I go next season as i don't want to commit to another season of turgid football. 

If you really want success at this football club you simply must buy a ST. If supporters can’t commit to one now after what has been a truly horrendous period under the Lemmies then Frank will be thinking he’s wasting his time.

Admittedly, this season has been pretty shite but has almost entirely been as a direct result of the incompetence of our previous owners.

We’ve got them out now and have an ownership to be proud of….. don’t even think about it, get that ST and I’m sure it will be worth it!!

1 hour ago, Steve_R said:

So we put good balls into the box but our centre forward can’t score because he gets no service?

Yep, strikers not aggressive enough today apart from big Mike. Nuttall unlucky when Rooney played a worldy ball to him, good save. A reminder that even the best don't get on the end of every opportunity.  Need plenty of service consistently, not every now and then.

31 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

If you really want success at this football club you simply must buy a ST. If supporters can’t commit to one now after what has been a truly horrendous period under the Lemmies then Frank will be thinking he’s wasting his time.

Admittedly, this season has been pretty shite but has almost entirely been as a direct result of the incompetence of our previous owners.

We’ve got them out now and have an ownership to be proud of….. don’t even think about it, get that ST and I’m sure it will be worth it!!

Guarantee most of those whingeing about buying a season ticket are the same ones who will be moaning when we aren't signing the best players. Years of shite and people are talking about not backing the board

The most annoying thing of the unsworth debacle, would Sheridan almost certainlyhave done better with the backing ! Even if unsworth some how leads is to promotion, yeah it will be good. But would it be Sheridan good? There through thick and thin our saviour our loved one . Without doubt no, it’s sad! If shez had the backing  unsworth has had would be lower than we are? Would we have nutall. It’s a sad sad situation

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Money doesn't appear to be a problem to me and I don't think they are too reliant on season ticket sales next season.

56 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Money doesn't appear to be a problem to me and I don't think they are too reliant on season ticket sales next season.

Sorry if I’m wrong but weren’t you an advocate of “support the team, not the regime” when other fans were boycotting under the Lemsagams?

11 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

I agree with everything you've said, apart from the line in bold.  Very little off the pitch remains of the Lemsegam legacy, so why are we claiming it's still them who are at fault of what's happening on the pitch?  Nothing remains there of their legacy either..

16 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I agree with everything you've said, apart from the line in bold.  Very little off the pitch remains of the Lemsegam legacy, so why are we claiming it's still them who are at fault of what's happening on the pitch?  Nothing remains there of their legacy either..

The pitch remains of their legacy. If it wasn't like it is for now we'd be playing like vintage Barcelona... Probably!

19 minutes ago, JoeP said:

The rebuilding of the club started the moment they left. That was only a few months ago. There’ll be a lot of things lingering that need sorting out. On the pitch the squad was their legacy at the start of the season. As were the facilities for the players, the pitch, damaged relationships with other clubs and amount of money needed to be spent on infrastructure that could otherwise be spent on players to name a few. 

Obviously tactics etc are 100% the coaching staff but there are a lot of other factors at play that will affect their ability to do their job. We’ll find out more about this coaching team next season. This season is bordering on irrelevant for me. 

5 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

The rebuilding of the club started the moment they left. That was only a few months ago. There’ll be a lot of things lingering that need sorting out. On the pitch the squad was their legacy at the start of the season. As were the facilities for the players, the pitch, damaged relationships with other clubs and amount of money needed to be spent on infrastructure that could otherwise be spent on players to name a few. 

Obviously tactics etc are 100% the coaching staff but there are a lot of other factors at play that will affect their ability to do their job. We’ll find out more about this coaching team next season. This season is bordering on irrelevant for me. 

Like what? Unsworth's been backed unlike any manager for years, has been allowed to dick around with the canteen/changing rooms and has little Wembley back.

Fair play for seeing this season as irrelevant - survival was the minimum requirement (which, with a bit of luck, Unsworth's managed to achieve, so credit where credit's due..) but I'd like to see something - anything - that show's Unsworth is the man to lead a promotion charge next season.  I've not seen that.  Assuming a few key signings will make the difference is blind faith.  I fear it will be more of the same next year..

13 hours ago, JED said:

Good enough for the point, but soooo boring to watch!

12 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

11 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

If you really want success at this football club you simply must buy a ST. 

While I agree that the general approach and style of play is cautious at best, we did create a number of good chances yesterday:

Shelton firing over from the corner routine, Hogan header, Green denied by a superb block, Nuttall’s shot from outside the area and also his control and effort that just went past the post.

We had 16 attempts but only 3 on target.

If that was boring and garbage then maybe some are expecting too much…🤔

Oh, I will be getting a season ticket as soon as they are available 👍

38 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

The pitch remains of their legacy. If it wasn't like it is for now we'd be playing like vintage Barcelona... Probably!

The pitch is Corney’s or Blitz’s legacy. It should have been sorted out long before Abdallah arrived.

4 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

The pitch is Corney’s or Blitz’s legacy. It should have been sorted out long before Abdallah arrived.

The pitch has been an issue since we ripped up the plastic!

20 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Like what? Unsworth's been backed unlike any manager for years, has been allowed to dick around with the canteen/changing rooms and has little Wembley back.

Fair play for seeing this season as irrelevant - survival was the minimum requirement (which, with a bit of luck, Unsworth's managed to achieve, so credit where credit's due..) but I'd like to see something - anything - that show's Unsworth is the man to lead a promotion charge next season.  I've not seen that.  Assuming a few key signings will make the difference is blind faith.  I fear it will be more of the same next year..

It might very well be more of the same. Which if you take 2023 alone (which I think would be fair) would mean we’ll be challenging near or in the play offs. 

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

The pitch has been an issue since we ripped up the plastic!

A new pitch was laid by the council in 2001. Similar to the one we’re getting as it was for use by for football and rugby until Chris Moore kicked the rugby off. It’s shelf life was ten years, and obviously nothing was done when the time came. It was actually a lot worse under Corney, and one of the many shit storms he left Abdallah with., who as we all know went on to make things miles worse.

21 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

Absolutely. But he was here long enough to sort it out if he'd had a brain instead of an ego 

9 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

It might very well be more of the same. Which if you take 2023 alone (which I think would be fair) would mean we’ll be challenging near or in the play offs. 

Who knows what next season will bring, but if we’re bumbling around near the playoffs, hoping to scramble in at the bottom end of it., then it will be a big disappointment. We should be aiming to win this division for as long as we are in it now as it’s the only sure way out of it, and challenging for that. We should be like Wrexham or Notts county we’re we don’t want to be in the playoffs, not thinking we’re doing well i if we’re not far off seventh.

4 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

Who knows what next season will bring, but if we’re bumbling around near the playoffs, hoping to scramble in at the bottom end of it., then it will be a big disappointment. We should be aiming to win this division for as long as we are in it now as it’s the only sure way out of it, and challenging for that. We should be like Wrexham or Notts county we’re we don’t want to be in the playoffs, not thinking we’re doing well i if we’re not far off seventh.

I want us to be challenging for automatic and that should be the aim but if we “only” achieve the play offs it’ll be far from a big disappointment to me after what feels like a thousand years of bottom half finishes. 

It’s taken 3 seasons of the same manager and massive spending (which we won’t be matching) and yet Wrexham are still here. 

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

The fact that we had to start the season with a woefully inadequate squad of players is almost certainly down to the Lemmies and that twat in the fleece!!

Archived