MATCH: Dagenham and Redbridge (A) 18/03/23

57 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I want us to be challenging for automatic and that should be the aim but if we “only” achieve the play offs it’ll be far from a big disappointment to me after what feels like a thousand years of bottom half finishes. 

It’s taken 3 seasons of the same manager and massive spending (which we won’t be matching) and yet Wrexham are still here. 

Or one season if you're Grimsby Town from last season...

9 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

The fact that we had to start the season with a woefully inadequate squad of players is almost certainly down to the Lemmies and that twat in the fleece!!

A squad that's been heavily invested in since with negligible improvement..

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Sorry if I’m wrong but weren’t you an advocate of “support the team, not the regime” when other fans were boycotting under the Lemsagams?

Damn right I was, without that money we'd of gone out of business and not had a club at all, the fact I want to pick or choose my games now isn't going to impact on the future of the club, Rothwells obviously have money to burn and keep shovelling it on in Unsworths direction which is a worry given Unsworths record at bringing in the right player, his latest recruit is fucking awful and offered nothing yesterday and I'm not sure he even has an eye for a player particularly at our level.

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

a worry given Unsworths record at bringing in the right player, his latest recruit is fucking awful and offered nothing yesterday and I'm not sure he even has an eye for a player particularly at our level.

Of the Unsworth recruits:

I like Rooney, Yarney, Kitching, Clarke, Reid, Abraham, Hudson (albeit on on a single good report) and, for all his current failings, Nuttall 😮

Thats EIGHT who I would be happy to have in the squad next season. Clarke could transition into a coaching role over time and would be good to have around I believe.

To that lot, add Norman, Hogan, Sheron, Fondop, Sutton, Tollitt and we have half a squad …

The big disappointments for me have been Chapman, Shelton, Peck - while it is too soon to judge Sambou or Green.

There will be a lot of incoming and outgoing players this summer - Willoughby rumoured to be one coming in who would add to the strike force.

We need to do what Notts County did and cherry pick the good players from this division. We need strengthening all over the park with particular emphasis on right back, centre back, centre midfield, centre forward and wingers…

It should be a busy preseason ….

16 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

If you really want success at this football club you simply must buy a ST. If supporters can’t commit to one now after what has been a truly horrendous period under the Lemmies then Frank will be thinking he’s wasting his time.

Admittedly, this season has been pretty shite but has almost entirely been as a direct result of the incompetence of our previous owners.

We’ve got them out now and have an ownership to be proud of….. don’t even think about it, get that ST and I’m sure it will be worth it!!

If we sacked a manager purely based on season ticket sales then you are getting a situation where the tail is wagging the dog. 

The club should trust the process you can't have a few disgruntled fans dictating the choice of manager. Even of it means we see a drop in season tickets short term the club is on an upward curve, I'm sure they will all get back on the bandwagon.

We are going to be watching a promotion chasing team next season for first time in a decade and a half if people are finding this "painful to watch" or "turgid" don't go, nobody is holding a gun to your head.

13 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I like Rooney, Yarney, Kitching, Clarke, Reid, Abraham, Hudson (albeit on on a single good report) and, for all his current failings, Nuttall 😮

Thats EIGHT who I would be happy to have in the squad next season. Clarke could transition into a coaching role over time and would be good to have around I believe.

To that lot, add Norman, Hogan, Sheron, Fondop, Sutton, Tollitt and we have half a squad …

The big disappointments for me have been Chapman, Shelton, Peck - while it is too soon to judge Sambou or Green.

There will be a lot of incoming and outgoing players this summer - Willoughby rumoured to be one coming in who would add to the strike force.

We need to do what Notts County did and cherry pick the good players from this division. We need strengthening all over the park with particular emphasis on right back, centre back, centre midfield, centre forward and wingers…

Agree with a lot of that, but can’t see Clarke being here next year (although I hope he is in some capacity), and there was no point in extending Abrahams loan as he hardly uses him. Reid could be good but not seen enough of him yet to be sure, whereas I’ve seen plenty of Nuttall and have yet to be impressed. Maybe, as somebody else mentioned with Rooney, he’ll get better with time.

For me we still need better up front. Fondops our top scorer, but should really be our third choice striker next year so we need a proper number nine.

like you say, we should be cherry picking the best, not going for someone who played 15/20 times for Stockport/Salford etc and got promoted out of the league, or played for or against Everton U 23s a few years ago.

24 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Spot on.

3 hours ago, nzlatic said:

The rebuilding of the club started the moment they left. That was only a few months ago. There’ll be a lot of things lingering that need sorting out. On the pitch the squad was their legacy at the start of the season. As were the facilities for the players, the pitch, damaged relationships with other clubs and amount of money needed to be spent on infrastructure that could otherwise be spent on players to name a few. 

Obviously tactics etc are 100% the coaching staff but there are a lot of other factors at play that will affect their ability to do their job. We’ll find out more about this coaching team next season. This season is bordering on irrelevant for me. 

You're debating with the same people who were saying it would take years to turn around the damage AL did. Now they're annoyed we aren't about to pip Wrexham to automatic

It's all well and good saying Latics should be "cherry picking" the best players from this league. They have to want to come to the club. I know money talks in this mercenary game but I'm not sure the club has enough financial clout to do that.

21 minutes ago, Wardie said:

It's all well and good saying Latics should be "cherry picking" the best players from this league. They have to want to come to the club. I know money talks in this mercenary game but I'm not sure the club has enough financial clout to do that.

We should have similar financial clout to compete with Chesterfield and possibly Notts County if they don’t go up to be looking at the top end of the market, and a lot more than Boreham Wood, Woking, Eastleigh etc.

34 minutes ago, Wardie said:

You only have to read what the opposition managers say about playing us to know that we are seen as a big club at this level.

As for financial clout, we have more than most of the teams in this league.

And we have the Athleticos 👍

14 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

We should have similar financial clout to compete with Chesterfield and possibly Notts County if they don’t go up to be looking at the top end of the market, and a lot more than Boreham Wood, Woking, Eastleigh etc.

add FYLDE to the big spenders list owner has money to burn 

5 minutes ago, peanuts2 said:

add FYLDE to the big spenders list owner has money to burn 

We are a huge club at this level…..If when trying to entice quality players next season we’re offering similar contracts to those offered by Fylde, Southend, Chesterfield, Rochdale😂, etc. I would back us to be successful 9 times out of 10!

5 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Of which, I suspect David Unsworth would be very open to letting all those go, if an offer came in, particularly Mike Fondop and Ben Tollitt.

The lack of appearances for Timmy is strange, nothing suggests to me that he is in the managers mind for next season.

I've always rated Magnus Norman, certainly as a marked improvement on the past string of keepers, yet Hudson could play the rest of this season and be number one.

11 minutes ago, Mayfield said:

Of which, I suspect David Unsworth would be very open to letting all those go, if an offer came in, particularly Mike Fondop and Ben Tollitt.

The lack of appearances for Timmy is strange, nothing suggests to me that he is in the managers mind for next season.

I've always rated Magnus Norman, certainly as a marked improvement on the past string of keepers, yet Hudson could play the rest of this season and be number one.

Not a bad idea.  Se what he's got to offer..

Fondop's been given a new contract under Unsworth's watch, hasn't he?  I'd take silly money for him but given he's the only one who scores goals on regular basis I wouldn't just get rid for the sake of it..

19 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Fondop's been given a new contract under Unsworth's watch, hasn't he?  I'd take silly money for him but given he's the only one who scores goals on regular basis I wouldn't just get rid for the sake of it..

@JoeP I also value Mike Fondop for his goals and all round contribution, hope he stays.

Having him on an extended contract makes good sense for the club.

3 hours ago, peanuts2 said:

i wonder if Sambou was someone we had planned on taking a look at close season and we are using these last 9 games as an  extended trial rather than pre season friendly's ? 

Possibly he looks the type of player to be used in certain away games for 60 -70 mins of hard pressing and making a nuisance of himself. Some sensible comments on signings and squad for next season I agree with . Triggered by a load of bollocks post.

6 hours ago, peanuts2 said:

i wonder if Sambou was someone we had planned on taking a look at close season and we are using these last 9 games as an  extended trial rather than pre season friendly's ? 

That's what I was thinking. Some people slagging the lad when it's just a trial. Rhino knows him, clearly saw something in him and now wants to see if he's worth another punt. Makes sense to me.

21 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

...We need strengthening all over the park with particular emphasis on right back, centre back, centre midfield, centre forward and wingers…

Just the left back and keeper not to worry about then. Nailed it, Undsy! :lol:

13 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

That's what I was thinking. Some people slagging the lad when it's just a trial. Rhino knows him, clearly saw something in him and now wants to see if he's worth another punt. Makes sense to me.

And as per usual, condemning the lad after one game. I wouldn't expect a league 2 reject to be top notch but at least give the lad a chance to prove his worth.

Archived