MATCH: Maidenhead United (H) 15/04/23

3 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Personally thought Rooney had a shite game and wasted most of his set pieces, so why he thought it was fine to act like a spoilt brat when he came off is lost on me.

I saw it differently - Rooney was involved in most of our better play and I was as surprised as he was when his number was up 😮

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Personally thought Rooney had a shite game and wasted most of his set pieces, so why he thought it was fine to act like a spoilt brat when he came off is lost on me. That said, Gardner was somehow worse and surely will be tried to move on! Midfield, as a whole, is glaringly inadequate in putting a foot on the game and ruthlessly killing off these teams. We seem to be just regress deeper and deeper the longer a game goes on and that's simply down to the personel more than the tactics IMO. It's just not good enough as an entity and I include recent signings Shelton and Green in that too. Now, this isn't to suggest they're all shit, just that two players of genuine quality in there (a holding 'general' type and a high-spec creative player) would transform those players and create something worth more than the sum of their parts. It's been mismatched all season and is still mismatched now.

He was also arguing with colleagues on field. Having said that he was busy and had a couple of great strikes on goal.

My observation is he's being asked to play a role by Unsworth he doesn't like - when probably most of his career he's operated a central free role behind a front 2. Unfortunately, in my eyes he will be assigned a place he's told to play in under Unsworths robotic plan.

It's no coincidence other off the cuff  players like

Tollit and Abraham have disappeared  from the squad and Harry Vaughan was also never considered after the Altrincham game.

We haven't a clue when any of the successful youth side will even get a place on the bench.

It wouldn't surprise me if a small bid. came in for Rooney he'd be off.

Next season I think it will all be about a defensive minded 'shape' and flair players just won't figure.

4 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Personally thought Rooney had a shite game and wasted most of his set pieces, so why he thought it was fine to act like a spoilt brat when he came off is lost on me. That said, Gardner was somehow worse and surely will be tried to move on! Midfield, as a whole, is glaringly inadequate in putting a foot on the game and ruthlessly killing off these teams. We seem to be just regress deeper and deeper the longer a game goes on and that's simply down to the personel more than the tactics IMO. It's just not good enough as an entity and I include recent signings Shelton and Green in that too. Now, this isn't to suggest they're all shit, just that two players of genuine quality in there (a holding 'general' type and a high-spec creative player) would transform those players and create something worth more than the sum of their parts. It's been mismatched all season and is still mismatched now.

I did recommend 2 excellent players in the roles you suggest available from Manchester City under 21s on loan.

However, we were never going to sign them permanently - maybe that's why they weren't pursued.

12 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I did recommend 2 excellent players in the roles you suggest available from Manchester City under 21s on loan.

However, we were never going to sign them permanently - maybe that's why they weren't pursued.

Did they go anywhere ?

8 hours ago, BP1960 said:

He was also arguing with colleagues on field. Having said that he was busy and had a couple of great strikes on goal.

My observation is he's being asked to play a role by Unsworth he doesn't like - when probably most of his career he's operated a central free role behind a front 2. Unfortunately, in my eyes he will be assigned a place he's told to play in under Unsworths robotic plan.

Tollit and Abraham have disappeared  from the squad and Harry Vaughan was also never considered after the Altrincham game.

We haven't a clue when any of the successful youth side will even get a place on the bench.

Next season I think it will all be about a defensive minded 'shape' and flair players just won't figure.

Certainly for most of the first half, Rooney was playing in a free role behind the attack (when we had the ball). He was never out on the left hand side at all. Sometimes he was so far over on the right he was alongside Green, and looked to take a throw in on the right hand touchline. I’m sure this was an approved tactic, as no one on the touchline told him to stay on the left. It did mean Kitch was having run the whole left hand side pretty much on his own. 

Set pieces were disappointing yesterday. So many free kicks & corners - I’d imagine the likes of Wrexham would make that pressure count. Need to be ruthless in those situations with the likes of Hogan, Sutton, Yarney getting forward. Their dodgy keeper was a late replacement for the normal keeper injured in the warm up. Needed to test him more.

8 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I for one don't want to go through another season like this one under Unsworth.

10 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Spot on BP. 

10 hours ago, BP1960 said:

You’ve nailed this BP! 

11 hours ago, Sloshed Joe said:

Certainly for most of the first half, Rooney was playing in a free role behind the attack (when we had the ball). He was never out on the left hand side at all. Sometimes he was so far over on the right he was alongside Green, and looked to take a throw in on the right hand touchline. I’m sure this was an approved tactic, as no one on the touchline told him to stay on the left. It did mean Kitch was having run the whole left hand side pretty much on his own. 

Set pieces were disappointing yesterday. So many free kicks & corners - I’d imagine the likes of Wrexham would make that pressure count. Need to be ruthless in those situations with the likes of Hogan, Sutton, Yarney getting forward. Their dodgy keeper was a late replacement for the normal keeper injured in the warm up. Needed to test him more.

We show little imagination on corners, mainly standing close to their goalkeeper and just wrestling with their defenders. To get a fair share of penalties awarded we need to start deep and concentrate on running towards goal to get contact with the cross and leave the scrimmaging to the opposition defenders.

It's too easy for the ref to say the fouling is 50/50 and just ignore it.

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

We show little imagination on corners, mainly standing close to their goalkeeper and just wrestling with their defenders. To get a fair share of penalties awarded we need to start deep and concentrate on running towards goal to get contact with the cross and leave the scrimmaging to the opposition defenders.

It's too easy for the ref to say the fouling is 50/50 and just ignore it.

I don't remember Bob Ledger or any of his team mates taking their shirts off after scoring.

Not really necessary is it so why do it?

I guess it started abroad and has been copied here.

As for corner kicks the trend now is to pinch a few inches on the edge of the line, which makes no sense as they often under or over hit them any way.

Throw ins similar where practically every player takes them 5 yards or more from where they should be.

Book em.

We dinosaurs need to stick together Bob.🙂

We do seem a bit useless on corners. We haven't had the threat of Peter Clarke and we need to vary it a bit. Surely they must practice corners in training and should be able to come up with a few tricks ?

12 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I don't remember Bob Ledger or any of his team mates taking their shirts off after scoring.

As for corner kicks the trend now is to pinch a few inches on the edge of the line, which makes no sense as they often under or over hit them any way.

Throw ins similar where practically every player takes them 5 yards or more from where they should be.

Book em.

Now you’ve got me started…

Let’s get back to the days when the lines person/assistant referee ran the whole length of the pitch - then give ‘em a foam spray can and they can mark the point at where the throw is to be taken from. Any transgression results in a booking.

As for taking your shirt off or any other  minor misdemeanour, I would have a green sin bin card that forces a player to sit out of the game for five minutes.

I would enforce similar for ‘head injuries’ - once treated on the pitch, said player should then leave the pitch for a five minute rest/assessment period before being allowed to return,

As for the ‘taking the ball into the corner’ time wasting efforts, I would class this as ‘not in the spirit of the game’ and book all players involved.

Holding or wrapping arms around a player in the box would be a booking and an automatic penalty/free kick depending on the perpetrator.

Mind you, if all of this was implemented, most games would be abandoned due to insufficient players being on the pitch 😳

17 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Let’s get back to the days when the lines person/assistant referee ran the whole length of the pitch - then give ‘em a foam spray can and they can mark the point at where the throw is to be taken from. Any transgression results in a booking.

As for taking your shirt off or any other  minor misdemeanour, I would have a green sin bin card that forces a player to sit out of the game for five minutes.

I would enforce similar for ‘head injuries’ - once treated on the pitch, said player should then leave the pitch for a five minute rest/assessment period before being allowed to return,

As for the ‘taking the ball into the corner’ time wasting efforts, I would class this as ‘not in the spirit of the game’ and book all players involved.

Holding or wrapping arms around a player in the box would be a booking and an automatic penalty/free kick depending on the perpetrator.

Mind you, if all of this was implemented, most games would be abandoned due to insufficient players being on the pitch 😳

You forgot shirt pulling, yellow card every time.

21 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Man City would use all 5 subs.

Ps..Glad to say in all my years of watching him play I never saw Bobby Johnstone's belly.🙂

33 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Post of the season contender!! 👍

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Book em.

I sometimes wonder if referees have given up on punishment for foul throws, can't remember the last time one was awarded to the other team.

16 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

I sometimes wonder if referees have given up on punishment for foul throws, can't remember the last time one was awarded to the other team.

Does the "both feet on the floor" rule still apply? If so it's seldom enforced.

Swearing vehemently at the officials is totally ignored and should be an immediate red card to set some kind of example to amateurs and youngsters.

4 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Swearing vehemently at the officials is totally ignored and should be an immediate red card to set some kind of example to amateurs and youngsters.

Crowding and hassling the ref is another which should result in a booking, don't see it much in rugby..I wonder why?

Players crowding around the Referee contesting a decision should surely be classed as dissent which warrants a booking.

If referees started to book them all it would soon stop it. Clubs could do a lot more by fining the culprits too!

Apart from VAR, I’ve never seen a referee change his mind yet so contesting a decision is absolutely pointless!!

Players falling to the ground holding their heads after hardly being touched is another practice that seems to be getting worse!

12 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Players crowding around the Referee contesting a decision should surely be classed as dissent which warrants a booking.

If referees started to book them all it would soon stop it. Clubs could do a lot more by fining the culprits too!

Apart from VAR, I’ve never seen a referee change his mind yet so contesting a decision is absolutely pointless!!

Players falling to the ground holding their heads after hardly being touched is another practice that seems to be getting worse!

It seems common practice now for defenders to do this after virtually every corner.

They should be side-lined for an HIA test immediately and no sub allowed until it was completed.

2 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Law15

the thrower must have part of each foot on the touch line or on the ground outside the touch line

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived