MATCH: Maidenhead United (H) 15/04/23

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can’t wait for this season to finish   Get rid of the deadwood that’s not good enough m. A few on todays team  need replacing   Think green will  get a deal although we could do better.Sambou had a good game today. But we could do better  Shelton. And Sheron  both to defensive  dont  need both in same team  next season.  And a new captain someone who leads by example ive not been impressed with hogan this season to quiet  and certainly not good enough. 

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

He shows for the ball alongside our centre halves, not in a more advanced position, and merely gives the ball back to them instead of looking forward.

I thought he shows for every throw in.

I like Shelton. He’s comfortable on the ball and is often looking to launch attacks down the flanks. 

My prediction is that he’ll be an important player for us next season. And Sheron will either be squad player or gone. 

4 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Green and Yarney played well, rest were a crock of shite.

Which game were you at @yarddog73?

As well as Green and Yarney, Rooney, Kitching, Hogan, Shelton and Norman all played well  - granted, Maidenhead were a very poor side but we were never really troubled by them. Yes we did our usual dropping deep at the end of the game but generally we played ok.

I must have been at a different game to the one you watched I suppose. 🙄

2 hours ago, redlion said:

Well I reckon I'll upset some of you but I thought Hope did well when he came on.

Thought he was our best striker pre the shocking attack on him so will give him the chance to prove himself next season.

26 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

As well as Green and Yarney, Rooney, Kitching, Hogan, Shelton and Norman all played well  - granted, Maidenhead were a very poor side but we were never really troubled by them. Yes we did our usual dropping deep at the end of the game but generally we played ok.

So we had seven players play well against a team who are as bad as you'll ever see at BP with a goal keeper as dodgy as they come and we scrape a 1-0 victory, maybe calling them shite is a bit strong but it's a team full of nothing for me.

3 hours ago, nzlatic said:

I like Shelton. He’s comfortable on the ball and is often looking to launch attacks down the flanks. 

My prediction is that he’ll be an important player for us next season. And Sheron will either be squad player or gone. 

Sheron brings more to the side than Shelton IMO. The graft and the ugly side.

Sheron might not be able to pass but he isn't afraid to get involved. Shelton missing for 80 mins a game pretty much every week for me.

I like Green and think his pace is important to the team but i'd really to see better end product. I get where we are and that means a certain level but the cross, the final ball needs to be better.

Shelton is pretty anonymous, looked out for him today, but struggling to say anything more positive than "tidy". Perhaps he will improve with better players,around him.

I'm going to give some love to Mark Kitching. Great engine, great outlet, gets up and down that left flank for the full 90 minutes  Great signing, hope we can get someone similar at RB/RWB.

Which is not to say that young Will Sutton hasn't done a shift filling in at that position. Because he has. Good defender, look forward to seeing more of him at centre back, sure the stint at full back will be good for his development.

4 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Shelton is only comfortable of he has nobody anywhere near him. Slightest sniff of pressure and its a hoof or he gives it away. Been poor. I'd take Sheron over him all day long. Never dodges a challenge. Always doing the defensive stuff that we need him to do

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Shelton didn't play well. I agree with the rest

31 minutes ago, LaticsLegend said:

Sheron brings more to the side than Shelton IMO. The graft and the ugly side.

Sheron might not be able to pass but he isn't afraid to get involved. Shelton missing for 80 mins a game pretty much every week for me.

Spot on 

Sheron has done a job we’ve needed this season and he’s done it very well. He’s been one of our more consistent performers and someone you can point to as improving under Unsworth. 

But if we want to be a top side going for promotion that role shouldn’t be necessary. 

8 hours ago, nzlatic said:

But if we want to be a top side going for promotion that role shouldn’t be necessary. 

Every single Premier League and football league team plays with one or more defensive midfielders - it’s part of the modern game. I think you are way off with that comment @nzlatic 😮

17 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Every single Premier League and football league team plays with one or more defensive midfielders - it’s part of the modern game. I think you are way off with that comment @nzlatic 😮

I think you misunderstand what I'm saying. Of course defensive midfielders are key in every team. But for me Sheron's role is very limited - to cover the defence, tackle, block and then offload. It often seems like he has someone playing right next to him (Shelton/Rooney) to take the ball off him and start the forward play. Whereas someone in Sheron's role would ideally do both. Freeing up the other midfielders to operate further up the pitch. It often feels very congested in the middle.

I might be being unfair on Sheron here though, he might be capable of more it's just that is how he's being asked to play in this system.  Shelton to me seems capable of the defensive side and is also comfortable on the ball and going forward, so seems the more likely candidate to be starting in our midfield next season. Like I say though, just an opinion!

5 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I think you misunderstand what I'm saying. Of course defensive midfielders are key in every team. But for me Sheron's role is very limited - to cover the defence, tackle, block and then offload. It often seems like he has someone playing right next to him (Shelton/Rooney) to take the ball off him and start the forward play. Whereas someone in Sheron's role would ideally do both. Freeing up the other midfielders to operate further up the pitch. It often feels very congested in the middle.

I might be being unfair on Sheron here though, he might be capable of more it's just that is how he's being asked to play in this system.  Shelton to me seems capable of the defensive side and is also comfortable on the ball and going forward, so seems the more likely candidate to be starting in our midfield next season. Like I say though, just an opinion!

Shelton played further back than Sheron yesterday and he may be better in that defensive midfield role.

Personally thought Rooney had a shite game and wasted most of his set pieces, so why he thought it was fine to act like a spoilt brat when he came off is lost on me. That said, Gardner was somehow worse and surely will be tried to move on! Midfield, as a whole, is glaringly inadequate in putting a foot on the game and ruthlessly killing off these teams. We seem to be just regress deeper and deeper the longer a game goes on and that's simply down to the personel more than the tactics IMO. It's just not good enough as an entity and I include recent signings Shelton and Green in that too. Now, this isn't to suggest they're all shit, just that two players of genuine quality in there (a holding 'general' type and a high-spec creative player) would transform those players and create something worth more than the sum of their parts. It's been mismatched all season and is still mismatched now.

Archived