MATCH: Bromley (H) 29/04/23

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, phoenix blue and tangerine said:

I left in 72. Sam Bells temper was ferocious, as was the Scottish woodwork teacher can't remember his name. Also remember Charlie Cook Halifax fan, history? Bit hazy the rest.

Nobby Clark.  Vicious barsteward

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

I left 71 so a fair bit earlier..

S W Johnson was head and Cyril Ashton the vice.

Likewise. 1974 I left.

Did any of you guys go to the Reunion dinner?

I met Ian Holt and Bob Dearden again.

Small World eh?

I remember latics winning the Rose Bowl around then against Rochdale, Jim Fryatt winner I seem to remember?

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Fred Nerk and Sam Bell come to mind!😂😂 anyone remember them ?

44 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Nobby Clark.  Vicious barsteward

I remember them both and not with fond memories as I was useless at both Chemistry and Woodwork!

1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

Yep, Sam Bell-chemistry and a furious temper.

Was Fred Nerk maths?

Yep….Sam Bell wasn’t a full bob, he used to scare me to fucking death in my earlier years!!😂😂

5 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Don't the school have a website for this sort of reminiscing. 

Probably, but it makes a change not to be morphing into an Unsworth out thread like everything else does!😂

3 hours ago, phoenix blue and tangerine said:

I left in 72. Sam Bells temper was ferocious, as was the Scottish woodwork teacher can't remember his name. Also remember Charlie Cook Halifax fan, history? Bit hazy the rest.

Charlie Cook gave me and my mate a lift into town one afternoon after school in his minivan. He went through a red light and got pulled up by a copper on foot who was directing traffic. He got fined, not sure what for but maybe no insurance/mot and maybe no license.

17 minutes ago, redlion said:

Charlie Cook gave me and my mate a lift into town one afternoon after school in his minivan. He went through a red light and got pulled up by a copper on foot who was directing traffic. He got fined, not sure what for but maybe no insurance/mot and maybe no license.

He’d be fined for going through a red light!😂😂

5 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

He’d be fined for going through a red light!😂😂

Yeah but there was more to it. As soon as he was stopped he told us to clear off. There was something in the Chron about it sometime later.

Nobby Clarke wasn't a bad lad either. If he passed by when we were having a cig round the backs of the houses at dinnertime he'd stop and have a chat. Another teacher made me put my cig out once. A cig was a valuable item in those days.

5 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Procurement of juveniles? 

I wasn't going to mention that but I vaguely recall there being something in the paper about that some years after i'd left school.

1 hour ago, redlion said:

I wasn't going to mention that but I vaguely recall there being something in the paper about that some years after i'd left school.

He was caught having a w--k in the multi storey car park at the back of the old Cats Whiskers-he wasn't in a car. Allegedly.

3 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

He was caught having a w--k in the multi storey car park at the back of the old Cats Whiskers-he wasn't in a car. Allegedly.

Lost his job and opened a school uniform and sports wear shop in Greenfield.as a result.

1 hour ago, diggleblue said:

Just chill. It's close season after all.

Unsworth out again in a few weeks.

Here's my retained list

Bam

Cyril Ashton

Bill Twit

Sprank

Major Heales

Bell Moore Mitchum

Clarke Counsell Nerk

Subs

Harris

Budge.GK

Hardman

Reid

Boocock

35 minutes ago, Flemboy said:

Here's my retained list

Bam

Cyril Ashton

Bill Twit

Sprank

Major Heales

Bell Moore Mitchum

Clarke Counsell Nerk

Subs

Harris

Budge.GK

Hardman

Reid

Boocock

Left winger Foster,

scruff Parker in nets with his big cloak and deadly accuracy with a board rubber,

Rupert Lapsley a creative midfielder

Er .... Unsworth out .... No wonder we have so many grammar police on here :D. Counthill taought me nowt apart from how to hide in a crowd and that I really should never ever book a skiing holiday!!!

9 hours ago, Ogdenwoodwhittle said:

Left winger Foster,

scruff Parker in nets with his big cloak and deadly accuracy with a board rubber,

Rupert Lapsley a creative midfielder

That reminds me of my history teacher in the 4th form (Bury Grammar, sorry) - Spud Jones. Great teacher but mad as a brush and wouldn't last 5 minutes in today's world. If he thought you weren't paying attention he would hurl the board rubber in the direction of your head with incredible force. Fortunately we had those desks that used to hinge upwards, so if you had your wits about you you could open your desk up as a barrier and duck behind it! Inspirational teacher though.

Archived